Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner

Marquee: hire vs purchase

betsgood, 6 February, 2012 at 23:24 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi all!
I am having an outdoor blessing ceremony and reception in the Tunbridge Wells area in May and feel I should hope for the best weather but have a back-up plan incase of rain!

I've been researching marquee hire and thus far have quotes for a 30x30ft marquee costing around £1200 (flooring, lining and lights included). Ideally we just want something a bit more simple...some cover from the rain (or blazing sun, right?!). Our ceremony is on the same site as our reception which is being held in an old dairy barn and seats around 120 people so we would like the marquee in case of bad weather and would really just use it for the ceremony and for overflow space for outdoor activities (games on the lawn, drinks reception).

We're planning on having around 90 people. Does anyone have advice on if 30x30 is the right size for the ceremony?

Can anyone recommend a good hire company in the East Sussex/Kent area?

Alternatively....instead of paying a fortune to hire, I've toyed with the idea of just buying an marquee like this:

http://www.galatent.co.uk/more_details.asp?MainCat=GalaTentMarquees&SubCat=GalaTent%28Poly/PVC%29&ItemCode=07828

or

http://dancovershop.com/product.asp?product=10662

or maybe even two of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/6-0x3-0mtr-Gazebo-WATERPROOF-Panels-Carrybag/dp/B003J7K4E8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Does anyone have any experience in hire vs purchase research or has anyone bought their own marquee? I don't want to buy something that will fall apart as soon as a light breeze stirs but I also don't want to pay out nearly the cost of my venue hire on a marquee.

Would you wait until closer to the day and hire something last minute if the weather looks bad? Or is it unrealistic to think something could be hired as such short notice?

Would you think there would be interest in people buying a secondhand marquee after my event if I didn't hold onto it?

Any help on my numerous above questions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

9 replies

Latest activity by harriet2291, 6 March, 2012 at 15:26
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Also, not sure if I read your post properly but did you say you'd have the ceremony in the marquee? If you're getting married in England I doubt this will be possible as it's not a permanent structure.

• C
    Beginner December 2012
    Carvella ·
    • Hide content

We're using Manor Hire for our marquee. ?

• B
    Beginner
    betsgood ·
    • Hide content

Hi there! Thanks for this info. With regards to our venue size it can seat 100-120 but that won't leave much standing room. We feel overflow space outdoors will keep guests from being cramped into the venue all day. The blessing ceremony will hopefully be outside and uncovered but again we know it could rain so cover would be needed for that if the weather was bad. We're having a legal ceremony at the town hall the day before so we're not restricted to a structure for the blessing ceremony.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Aah yes, you did say blessing in your original post - sorry!

• B
    Beginner
    betsgood ·
    • Hide content

Carvella, thanks for the company tip - have emailed for a quote and hope it might be a little less than the others we've had.

Sange, the main issue is the outdoor blessing ceremony and what to do if there's rainy weather. Anyone have ideas for things to do if the weather looks menacing? Hire a marquee last minute, buy one like those listed above and just pray it holds out, or <insert genius ideas here> Smiley winking Any advice / experiences of purchased marquees vs hired would be great!!

• O
    Beginner September 2012
    ob0t ·
    • Hide content

If it's just for the blessing, would you consider umbrellas? Either provide lots of matching umbrellas for your guests to use, or put up some large parasols for the day? Might not be so great if it's windy too, but I think it's a lovely way to deal with a spot of rain (or a tropical heatwave!)

We're planning an outdoor wedding in September and that's our plan B.. Our reception (and plan C for the ceremony in case it's blowing a gale) will be held in tipis (from beautiful world tents) - it might not be any cheaper than your quote, but it'll give the same protection from the rain, and you might find that a tipi would be a more flexible space than a traditional marquee if the weather does play ball..

• B
    Beginner
    betsgood ·
    • Hide content

Ah ob0t lucky you to have a tipi tent! is it a kata tipi? i do adore those but the prices were more than traditional marquees when i looked and we'd still have to pay for land as unfortunately we don't have access to any free space! can i ask who you hired yours through and if the prices were comparable to the quote we had of around £1200 for a traditional marquee?

• H
    Beginner June 2012
    harriet2291 ·
    • Hide content

Hi i am new to this site but thought id pass this information on. i had a friend who recently got married and had her reception in a marquee, she hired a marquee from a family runned business. www.marquees2please.co.uk and they arrange everything for her down to chairs lighting, dance floor etc etc she said they were very professional and friendly and helped her every step of the way to make her day special. Just thought id pass this information on for any1 that is interested in hiring a marquee as this company get a big thumbs up Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics