Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner August 2013

Marquee options in Hertfordshire?

beho9, 28 May, 2012 at 13:17 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi all!

We got engaged last month and are still umming and aahing about when/where to get married. I put up a post before about venues in Hertfordshire and got loads of great responses, but I think realistically we won't be able to afford them Smiley sad . See, the problem is we have a massive family so can't compromise there, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with hiring fields and getting a marquee instead. Was it cheaper? Was it just as nice?

Tempted to go for it, but obviously a bit dubious as I'm not sure what to expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

B

17 replies

Latest activity by beho9, 30 May, 2012 at 10:43
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Buckettsland Farm might be an option.

Marquees are not always cheaper, we were going to put one in the Church gardens for ours originally, got all the permissions but the cost of the marquee hire, catering and security was too much (we needed security as it was public ground and they put the marquee up a few days before the wedding).

If you can negotiate well then it could work.

ETA: what are your numbers and max budget?

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    beho9 ·
    • Hide content

Ohh thank you. Oh really, hmm that's a good point.

Numbers 80 - 100 for ceremony (depending on price, 100 is if we could invite everyone) and maybe a 130 ish for reception. Price £6000 ish (I know, not going to get much for this, but it's all we've got!)

Thanks for the advice! Smiley smile

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Do you mind what time of year or what day of the week?

A Thursday wedding in October would be a lot cheaper than a Saturday in June for example.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Honestly, for that budget I think you would get a lot more for your money at a venue. There are some great deals out there!

We are having a marquee for 150 in the garden. It's cost almost £7k just to hire tent! That's without toilets, knives, forks, plates, glasses, table centrepieces, any sort of catering bar/food/drink.

There are some venues that have marquees which will of course come with everything you need. Perhaps an easier option if we could go back and start again!

I'm sure our wedding will be worth it as it will be one of a kind, no one else will get married there. However, it has been very stressful planning it and you have to think of everything, and I mean everything.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Plus we didn't need to hire land, that could be an additional cost on top to think about.

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    beho9 ·
    • Hide content

No, we're not really that bothered, but we have a lot of teachers in our family (basically the majority of them!), so would need to bear in mind that a lot of them won't be able to take off time in school time in the week.

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    beho9 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ohh do you think? Hmm that does sound like a lot! Yeah, I would prefer to have everything done, I'm just not sure how to do it in our budget! Smiley sad

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We got married on a Saturday in March and our package was thousands of pounds cheaper than the same deal in the summer.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I'd just keep and open mind to begin with. Go research a few places and packages they offer before comparing it to a marquee, then you'll know you made the best decision for you and your budget.

We didn't do this because we had the garden, and so had our hearts set on hosting our own wedding from the start. Like I said, I'm sure on the day and after the wedding we will be soooooo glad we did it this way. But at this very moment, I wish a venue just had everything in hand.I'm convinced we will have forgotten soething or a supplier will pull out. I should just stop worrying!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

The only place you may struggle with is your ceremony numbers, a lot of the rooms that are licensed for ceremonies have a maximum capacity, if my memory serves me correctly, when we were looking in Herts/Essex during our planning, a lot of these rooms only took 60-80 people.

You may have to be ruthless with your guest list.

• hargate
    hargate ·
    • Hide content

Hello Beho9

I run a wedding venue but in Derbyshire, so as I am out of your area I have nothing to gain or loose! But I have seen lots of couple putting a wedding together on your sort of budget. It certainly is easily achievble, you just need to be clear as to where you want to spend and where you want to cut back / compromise.

Hiring a farmers field is not always s easy as you would think unless you know someone with one. i would need to be grazing land but they would have to keep the livestock off it for a week or so before and potentially clean an area up so nobody stands in anything unpleasant! needless to say this adds to the cost. Around here you could expect to pay £1000. Then you have security issues as things are put and set up. On the plus side of course you could be in a stunning location with fantastic views all around.

There can also be a huge range in costs of catering. Hog and sheep roasts are very economical especially in a marquee as all the neccessary equipment is automatically brought along, rather than a caterer having to hire in ovens etc. You local marquee hire company may also have some useful contacts, maybe even the name of somebody with a field.

As has been said it may be worth looking again at your local venues, as you may be able to everything in 1 place, which is always a bonus. Also if you are looking for this year there are deals to be had as venues try to fill up the last few available dates. Your local registrar should be able to help with venues that are licensed for p to 100 people.

Good luck, and I hope you find what you are looking for.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Hargate, you have some good points but you may want to take out the link from your signature and change your username, unless you become a HIB and pay to advertise on here.

I apologise if you are registered, but you are not showing the "Hitcher in Business" logo.

• hargate
    hargate ·
    • Hide content

Hi Mrs C. I am a paid advertiser on Hitched. I guess I need to find the logo. Thanks for pointing this out.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No problem, we have just had a lot of issues lately with advertisers and spam posts!

?

• artisanwedding.co.uk
    artisanwedding.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

Quendon Hall Parklands is Herts way, and they have some mega deals on at the moment, if you're willing to do midweek or last minute.

I think they have a package for 50 people sit down a reception drink and all of the 21 overnight rooms for around £3k. (Don't quote me)

I don't think you'll beat that!

PK

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    beho9 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi PK,

Thanks for the info, but my FH's brother got married there in 09, so not really an option for us. Also, that's more essex really so a bit too far away. Thank you though! Smiley smile

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Have a look at Hunton Park, the DeVere Hotel in Watford. They have a permanent marquee in the gardens and it is lovely there (I go there a lot for work).

We had our reception at Theobalds Park, in the Ridings Barn... part of the same hotel chain. In March 2011, we got a package for 60 guests at £5k. We got married in a church so you need to factor ceremony costs in as well.

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    beho9 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Mrs C,

I think that we may be swaying more towards having a smaller ceremony in like a registered ceremony place (such as a registry office or building - there are some nice ones in Hertfordshire) and then having a bigger reception with buffet etc. Not my 'dream' wedding, but we just honestly don't have the funds to pay for what I'm thinking of! Thanks so much for the help!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics