Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner January 2011

Marquee reception on a budget!! Help...

Lauren2011, 12 February, 2012 at 23:07 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hello

We haven't been engaged very long, and aren't sure whether to get married next year or the year after. Basically we got engaged on the OHs mothers birthday (unfortunately she isn't with us any more) and I have her ring as my engagement ring, therefore we want to get married on her birthday too - in Bristol (July 5th) next year it falls on a fri the year after a sat. So my first question is - is there a big price difference between fri and sat weddings?

Secondly, we want a marquee reception and are on a very tight budget. Can anyone recommend marquee companies, caterers or is there anyone who has had a marquee wedding? Is there anything any one would recommend / not recommend?

As you can probably guess I have no ideas on where to start so need help, ideas and suggestions - any are gratefully received!

Thanks

5 replies

Latest activity by harriet2291, 6 March, 2012 at 15:22
  • HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Hello! I am very new to this wedding business too but I might be able to help you with this one, .. We live in Bath but we are getting married in Oxfordshire and we too were looking at cheaper marquees and found this company who do stretch marquees. I actually prefer their marquees to the traditional ones but we are now going with a traditional one as their is a wedding the day before and we've managed to make a deal with the other party. Have a look though, they are very reasonable! They are not so labour intensive to put up and take down which is why they are cheaper, plus they don't have silk liningsand are therefore cheaper to buy/replace when they get trashed! Think the wrote we had was around £600. http://www.limemarquees.com/ As for getting married in one, you will need to be in a licences venue and the room you marry in will need to have walls so you wouldn't be able to have the actual ceremony in it unless you had it very close to the building (which is what we were going to do) but because of the way the roof slants it has to be sitting back from the building a little. You also need to have it on grass only, I'm not sure if the above factors will cause a problem for you, but if so, it's the perfect reception venue if you can find a venue to have it. Good luck, H

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Hi!! welcome and congrats!!

i would say that personally i would wait an extra year so that you can save a bit more for what you want...once you start looking you will see that prices are a lot more than you think and so if you are on a tight budget then if you can wait another year then i would...

price difference on friday and saturday i would say in most cases there isn't a huge difference....friday weddings are getting more and more popular and venues are catching on therefore a weekday wedding in most cases is classed mon-thurs so you won't find much discount for the friday unfortunatly but maybe shop around as you never know!!...

and finally if you have a VERY tight budget i would possibly look for a package at a hotel/venue instead...a marquee wedding can really add up in cost...you have to remember that not only will you need the marquee but all the chairs, tables, clothes, glasses, and maybe even cutlery and plates etc depending on your caterers...make sure you do a very detailed budget sheet first as all the little things can really add up...a linen napkin at 50p per person seems like nothing...100 guests and it's £50 ... every little bit adds up so just be aware of that

i don't have any reccomendations for companies but good luck with everything!! Smiley smile x

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I would also add a private marquee is not for those on a tight budget. Hire of ours for 150 people is £6k. Plus loos, tablecloths, crockery, cutlery, glasses and centre pieces is another £1k. On top of this is any food and catering costs, a Dj etc.

Our wedding will cost about £18k overall. And I think we could have done a similar thing in a venue for perhaps half that cost. So don't be fooled into think marquees are cheap! The gazebo type ones with no floor or walls maybe, but not the proper weatherproof ones with a floor.

• A
    Beginner August 2013
    annie2000 ·
    • Hide content

The difference between a friday and saturday wedding cost is practically nothing, certainly in all the venues we looked at anyway. The cheaper cost is for sun - thursday which is why we are getting married on a Thursday

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

I think fridays are now classed as a weekend.sunday-thur are cheaper.

you can do a lot of DIY stuff too keep the coss down but marquee & outdoor catering can be expensive so i would wait until the yr after if that spossible for you both & then you'l have exactly what you want with the time to save.

Congratulations & Welcome to hitched xxx

• H
    Beginner June 2012
    harriet2291 ·
    • Hide content

Hi i am new to this site but thought id pass this information on. i had a friend who recently got married and had her reception in a marquee, she hired a marquee from a family runned business. www.marquees2please.co.uk and they arrange everything for her down to chairs lighting, dance floor etc etc she said they were very professional and friendly and helped her every step of the way to make her day special. Just thought id pass this information on for any1 that is interested in hiring a marquee as this company get a big thumbs up Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics