Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2012

Marquee Wedding

Snowberry, 5 June, 2011 at 19:51 Posted on Planning 0 14

We are looking at getting married next Summer and have found a beautiful venue that is luckily within our budget. However I am having reservations about it as the reception all takes place in a marquee within the grounds of the house. In good weather it will be stunning but I am worried that if we have torrential rain it will turn from a pretty white summer paradise into a mud bath!

Has anyone had a marquee wedding or is anyone planning one and can put my mind at ease?

Rachael

14 replies

Latest activity by MrsJenLarkin, 5 August, 2011 at 21:52
  • Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

Hey snowberry we are having a marquee but its attached to the hotel. Any change they can attach to the house? If not i've seen peps but decking around the marquee which looks fab..

• S
    Beginner October 2012
    Snowberry ·
    • Hide content

No they don't allow you to use the house for the reception as it is where their family live. We can request a large entrance awning to be added to the marquee at short notice if it is forecast rain to provide extra space and a seating area.

• Lauren25
    Beginner July 2011
    Lauren25 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in a marquee next month, I'm not too worried thou, once your in the marquee and all the drapes are in it is quite nice and quiet even on a windy day which today was when I went to see our venue again. What month are getting married?

Also our marquee is the metal framed type that is standing on concrete so not on grass.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

My friend's having his reception in his B2B's parent's garden so I'll let you know how they get on ?

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

That should work fine and if it only needs a last minute notice i would go for it but then i do like Marquees Red carpet laid down the lawn on top of so sort of flooring will also help. What time of year are you marrying?? Not like British weather is reliable!

• S
    Beginner October 2012
    Snowberry ·
    • Hide content

We are looking at August bank holiday 2012, the 27th I think it is. Hoping to confirm this week!

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

Ooo 4 days before me. Aug 2012 is going to be lovely weather!! ?

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

My ceremony is in a gazebo/pagoda in the gardens of the hotel and then just behind the gardens is a patio up some steps and this is where we are having the breakfast. So if it makes you feel any better, my wedding is totally outside so any rain will ruin the day completely. I've had my fingers firmly crossed for a sunny day since we booked the venue!

• S
    Beginner October 2012
    Snowberry ·
    • Hide content

Wow- you are very brave! Everything crossed for blue skies!

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

Well it's on 2nd July so hopefully we'll be well into the Summer by then but I will be totally devastated if it does rain. We fell in love with the idea of having out wedding outside.

• catann
    Beginner October 2010
    catann ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we went to a wedding last year on the hottest day of the year. It was in a marquee and the heat was unreal. I think that rain would have been a god send. The blokes baked in their suits and so did the poor bride. It was a great day but far too hot. I would advise against a marquee for a summer wedding. All your guests will fry and end up standing outside in the shade. Don't know if you can get them with air con?

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Marquees are very hot, make sure you have one where the side can be rolled up to let the humidity escape.

They are also a pain for photography. Especially if you have a long rectangular top table against one side of it.

I really wouldn't worry about the rain!

• NorahS
    NorahS ·
    • Hide content

Hi Rachael

I'm an event planner and I've done loads of marquee weddings in all weathers.

There are a few things that you need to consider:

Marquee type - modern clear span PVC marquees are completely weather proof, but the traditional canvass style pole marquees can leak.

Floor - don't skimp on this because of cost by putting carpet on matting on grass. If it rains the water will soak through the matting and into the carpet. Make sure your floor is solid wood and is the type that has a few inches between it and the grass, so that rain water can drain away. Any reputable marquee company uses this type anyway.

Guttering - make sure any catering tents or pagoda porches are properly joined to the marquee, as this is where water can leak in.

There is an article at, http://www.myweddingmarquee.com/2011/05/9-tell-tale-signs-that-a-wedding-marquee-hire-supplier-might-be-a-cowboy ,that gives some tips on this.

Sharon

• NorahS
    NorahS ·
    • Hide content

Hotels get hot in summer too!!

You can get air conditioning sytems for marquees but it's expensive.

I would advise incorporating full panoramic windows which can be unzipped and rolled up. So, you could in theory have both sides of the marquee open.

You can't do this with Georgian window walls. Once they are in, they are in!!!

Sharon

• MrsJenLarkin
    Beginner January 2012
    MrsJenLarkin ·
    • Hide content

I had a marquee for our wedding in May, and we were very lucky with the weather. It was a gorgeous spring day and it did get warm in the marquee. We were lucky that our bar man had worked with the marquee company before, so knew how to take one of the ends off the marquee to let a breeze it, as at one point it was rather warm to say the least.

I love every moment of having a marquee, it required lots of hard work for me, getting all supplier and what not together to make the day, and I enjoyed the setting up of it all too. These are a few picture of out final results:

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics