Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2014

Marquee wedding at private venue and DIY - tips please

beckimas, 12 of August of 2013 at 19:00 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi ladies, this is my first post on here so hopefully some pele can help me out. I am getting married 6th September 2014 to my amazing fiancé Smiley smile we are having a church wedding then reception in a marquee in a beautiful private garden near us with a simple vintage country/garden theme. Because the marquee isn't actually at a hotel garden etc which has its own staff, we have to get in all our own suppliers for everything. This is what we wanted as love organising things and this means I get exactly what I want but have a few things I'm hoping someone may be able to she'd some light on. We are having a hog roast instead of a wedding breakfast, they supply paper plates which is not what we want. We want to have proper cutlery and crockery which I can hire and set out the day before the wedding but who would clear the plates and where would they go?? And would i be able to set the tables the day before or would the plated get dusty overnight? Anyone has this before? I'm also trying to make a lot of things myself, eg bunting, favours. Anyone know of any cheap but effective favours I could do? And easy way of making bunting? We want to have wild flowers for table centrepieces, no massive floral arrangements, anyone done there own flowers by just picking them? Or would that be virtually impossible? Any other tips people have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Becki x

9 replies

Latest activity by beckimas, 16 of August of 2013 at 09:22
  • miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome to hitched ?

I made my bunting myself, just cut the triangles out using pinking shears [so no need to hem them] and sewed them onto bias binding using the sewing machine. I think that is the easiest way to make it and it will look something like this ;-)

Or if you really don't like sewing you could staple the flags onto the binding!

Cheap favours are normally food based... sweets, etc in little bags/boxes?

• ~Curley~
    Beginner August 2014
    ~Curley~ ·
    • Hide content

This was the original route we was going down but after alot of stress and massive quotes we decided against it ( i am not a lover of organising things lol) R.E the plates and clearing up, you would have to hire someone to do this, a company, some family friends...literally anyone whos trustworthy. Most hog roast companys will provided proper crockery for an extra charge so maybe worth asking, this way they would clear the plates ect away and take them with them. What are you doing for your bar? Providing your own or hiring one? Where abouts in the country are you?maybe help other hitchers give you advice.

xxx

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    beckimas ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Katede for the bunting and favours ideas - they're great Smiley smile And niks123 I have now asked some hog roast companys if they can provide crockery/cutlery and a waitress service and washing up service as well...they're probably sick of me with all my extras lol. We are hiring a bar which will come with bar staff so I was thinking I could ask if they could provide extra staff and if I paid extra maybe they would clear and wash up for me as they will have washing facilities for the glasses that they provide I would think. I am in Bournemouth...didn't think to say that lol. Any other Dorset brides out there?? Thanks xxx

• P
    Beginner July 2014
    phillynixs ·
    • Hide content

Ohh gosh you have just made my head spin. I am also new to here and we are hoping to get married July 2014 and have decided on a marquee at our home. my head is spinning with all the questions you have. we are hoping to hog roast in the evening as we are planning to get married at lunchtime with a meal at lunch.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Your caterer should be able to provide staff. Also they should be able to provide a supplier or organise crockery and any furniture you need. With regards to washing dirty dishes, mine uses something called a dirty wash hire - the plates etc. go back dirty. We are having our wedding in a village hall but have to hire in everything. I have been looking online at the hire company's stock - then will tell my caterer what I want. He will order it all for me as he gets a better deal than me just hiring myself.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Oh yes - and have you thought abot water/electricity supply and toilets?

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Growing your own flowers/picking wild flowers is a lovely idea, just make sure you have a back up plan and also the time to pick them and keep them fresh. It might be a bit of additional stress in the morning to do yourself, I would definitely delegate tasks to other people as well otherwise you'll be focusing on arranging everything on the morning instead of the important bits of getting married. Perhaps you could hire a wedding coordinator just for the day to make sure everything runs smoothly. That was you could do a lot of the pre organising and DIYing, but then relinquish tasks to the organiser/planner on the day.

• Gemma Lawrence
    Gemma Lawrence ·
    • Hide content

I heard somewhere or from someone (can't remember which) that it is illegal to pick wild flowers. I don't know how true it is and I am sure if you grow your own in your own garden or what not the rules (if there are any) wont apply .. just don't get caught if it is true lol. Have fun planning! xxx

• ~Curley~
    Beginner August 2014
    ~Curley~ ·
    • Hide content

Yes toilets and power are biggies lol! Make sure to tell marquee company everything that will be running of the generator such as lighting, fridges in the bar, DJ ect.

As for asking the bar to provide staff......i found this to be quite expensive and if the hog roast company provided the crockery they will collect and clean them and the bar will collect glasses and clean them.

Have you looked into a capri tent? these tend to be cheaper than traditional marquees but only work on a flat surface

sorry if there huge.

xxx

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    beckimas ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ATB for the advice on crockery...I have now asked a few hog roast suppliers if they can get hold of those for me and like you say, the they would have to take them away with them as well. I'm good for power and supply. Although my venue is a private garden, it is in the grounds of a house and country park which is run by the council so they have plenty of power and water access points and have weddings there almost every weekend in the summer. Also ok for toilets, getting the luxury trailers ones in. Thanks to all about the flowers, sounds a lovely idea now but think maybe getting nearer to the time will be pretty stressful and may not work out quite how i want. Niks123 we have already sorted our marquee but thanks and I think your right about the staff. xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics