Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner

Marquee wedding- street food? Something else?

HappyOrangeBridesmaid846, 5 of June of 2017 at 14:17 Posted on Planning 1 5

I'm getting married next year (registry office then a marquee in my parents' garden). We are having 140 guests.

I've been thinking about whether to have street food vans rather than a formal meal. The reception is starting at 5 so we could have drinks for an hour on the grass then the vans could start serving (for eg a 2 hour period) and people could go and get the food they want and eat in the marquee. I want it to be fairly informal especially as we have guests with young children. We'd get a few different vans (and I'm talking about really fabulous street food- not just burgers or whatever).

I wondered about the following-

- do you think it will feel a bit unfocussed and disorganised not to have a formal dinner with an official start and end?

- do you think it matters that there won't be any time when everyone is eating together- people will just come and go as they please.

- what if it pours with rain???

Grateful for any tips and to hear form anyone who has done similar.

5 replies

Latest activity by ExpensiveGoldHair53400, 19 of November of 2018 at 22:07
  • Annelie @ Annelie Eddy Photography
    Annelie @ Annelie Eddy Photography ·
    • Hide content

I have photographed a wedding before where there was street food instead of a formal sit-down meal. It was a fun and relaxed atmosphere, and I think the guest appreciated having the choice of which meal to go for and that it was something a bit different.

If it rains, you could always put out slabs on the grass so people won't have to walk over mud and hand out umbrellas.

I think it's a great idea!

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I think it sounds like a fab idea - lovely & relaxed! I think if it rains people will just cope & adapt - try not to worry too much about that - as long as you have enough room in the marquee for people to mill around whilst not eating, you should be fine!

• R
    Beginner
    RedHair82 ·
    • Hide content

This is exactly what we want! I have been to SO MANY formal three course sit downs and there is always so many complaints about the food. At the last one a couple went to burger king halfway through the reception. I think street food vans are a fab idea, gives guests choice and is something a bit different!

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like a great idea to me, weddings don't need to be formal. As long at the paper is signed and you're married to the love of your life who cares?

Your idea sounds way more fun than my wedding haha.

As for rain, like the other person said, just get a couple of umbrellas and make sure there's lots of room in the marquee, maybe have water proof backed picnic blankets? Or have you got tables?

Regardless of the weather it sounds like fun x

• T
    Beginner June 2018
    TheOverlyOrganizedBride ·
    • Hide content

That's exactly what we're doing! Smiley smile
    We're having a tipi wedding in June 2018 and we will hire an awesome BBQ catering company for food. I always wanted something much more relaxed as I've been to so many three-course meal weddings and it's just not us.

I also worry about the UK weather, but (a) it's completely out of your control and (b) people will adapt! So let's do this! Smiley smile

• E
    Beginner July 2020
    ExpensiveGoldHair53400 ·
    • Hide content

Hi! I’m just searching forums about this as it’s what we’re after too but I’m also confused about the format of the day - how does it work for speeches? Do you just has a time period for people to eat and wonder about but then get everyone sat down on tables (with seating plan still?) for the speeches? Also do you miss the bit where you both walk in as Mr&Mrs? Maybe I’m trying to be too formal still!! Would be great to hear how some of these went Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics