Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Married in a church if divorced before??

5 November, 2009 at 16:23 Posted on Planning 0 10

As some of you will know, we had a lovely venue booked for our wedding and were having a civil ceremony at the same hotel.

We have confirmed everything with the hotel and are due to pay our deposit this Sunday, however.....

My wonderful H2B that has not really got too involved in the planning so far (more of a 'you do the research and I will go and look at/see anything you want me too but I'm not spending hours and hours on the net looking to find it' kind of person) but..... he has found a venue that is beautiful, £3k cheaper than our original venue..... and...... has the most amazing village church at the end of the hotel's drive!

It was always my dream to get married in a church, but we kinda guessed that as my H2B had been married before, it wouldnt be allowed so we didnt even consider venues where they didnt have a civil licence.

Anyway, he has called and spoken to the Vicar already and he wants us to go and see him on Saturday to discuss things and also the reason why his last marriage broke down.

Has anyone had any experience of re-marrying in church or do you know of anyone else that has done it?

Im scared to get excited incase he says no!

10 replies

Latest activity by HatTrick, 6 November, 2009 at 14:17
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

My aunt remarried in a church........ dpends entirely on the one conducting the service but if your vicars willing to hear you out..............................

tis looking good.

on another note, a friend of hubbys got re-married in a catholic church. As her first marriage was in a reg office the monseiur snubbed the first marriage, lolol.

• B
    Beginner April 2010
    Baz183 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Claire

We're getting married in church and my OH has been married before (although in a registry office not church). We spoke to the vicar about it and she asked some questions about why the marriage broke down, if he felt he'd changed and learnt from the mistakes he'd made. We were told that it is the choice of the vicar whether to marry someone who has been married before and her view was that christianity was about forgiveness and being given second chances when we make mistakes (i'm not quoting directly here). She said she didn't see why that shouldn't also apply to marriage. The only thing that seemed to be a real issue for her was if I was involved in the breakdown of their marriage (which I wasn't, I didn't even know him until after he'd been divorced for years). Once she knew I had nothing to do with it then she said she was happy to marry us.

HTH

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Werent you tempted to say 'Mind your own bloody business????' lololololol

• B
    Beginner April 2010
    Baz183 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL, probably wouldn't have helped our case!

• K
    Beginner July 2010
    Karen1980 ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the cirsunstances of the marriage breakdown. when I looked on the chuirch of england website im sure i read that it is down to the vicar's discretion.

I should ask though if this church is in the parish? If it isnt regardless of if your husband has been divorced before or not you have to go for 6 months to get registered on the churches electoral role - this then 'entitles' you to get married in church (if the vicar agrees of course!)

https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

We've just gone through the same thing and have been denied because I was (civally) married before. This is Catholic church though so not sure about CoE but I've heard it can be tricky, my cousins wife was married before and they had problems getting married in CoE church although they did eventually. I Also thought you had to live in the parish to be married in the church?

• jem179
    Beginner May 2010
    jem179 ·
    • Hide content

You don't have to live in the parish (we don't live in the parish for our church) but you do have to have a connection of some kind with the church or a good reason why you want to marry there. I do know that there are some churches (like yours, very close to hotels that do a lot of weddings) that are even more flexible as they have an agreement with the hotel.

Some churches do ask you to go a few times before you get married but it's not always the case...We go to ours once every 2 months but it wasn't a requirement.

Good luck with it all

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Hi ? I'm from Birmingham too!

Anyway.... my aunt was married a few years ago, and has recently re-married in June. The vicar was fine about it as her ex-huband was unfaithful so not much blame on her part really.

We're getting married in a church (neither of us have been married before) and I found the questions very intrusive at times so I can just imagine what they will ask you if your partner has been previously! Sometimes you do feel like telling them to mind their own business- my vicar continually discusses 'nocturnal activities' and I find it quite embarassing.

Good luck, i'm sure if the vicar can see how in love you are they will have no worries about marrying you

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics