Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner June 2014

Marrying outside your parish....

Han_Grum, 14 January, 2013 at 11:04 Posted on Planning 0 1

Hello wedding world! I'm so very new to this and just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar..... Here it goes!

So we were engaged on Christmas day and wanted to get straight on the planning ready for 2014. We both want to marry in a parish nearby and google soon found for us that the two churches we were looking at we're in the same 'cluster of six' and so looked after by the same vicar (hooray!) so we waited until after Christmas and new ear were out of the way before attempting to contact the vicar (here's where the fun starts).

I found the number for the vicarage after several attempts at trying the mobile number advertised (he turned out later to not have a mobile) and over the period of a few days of ringing and ringing and ringing (leaving just the one message as I didn't want to appear rude or pushy) and not having a response, on the advise of my Grandad (a former verger) I rang the diocese for the area. The minister there was lovely and explaining that the vicar had, had an extremely busy week (turns out he was being hounded by the media for comments due to an unfortunate event in one of his parishes whereby a church warden was very sadly killed) but told me to keep trying as he was on holiday the following week.

As luck would have it he answered the very next time I tried (yes!) and said that he would only let us set a date after he had seen us in church (this we knew and expected). My fiancée and I both work every Sunday and start at 10.30 but this vicar we knew did a service at 8.30 every Sunday which for us is perfect so it was arranged we'd see him there that Sunday. To cut a long story short we were made so very welcome by the four other people that actually attended church that Sunday but unfortunately that didn't include the vicar because he didn't turn up! No prior warning to the church warden (who did have his phone with him) or anything. We'd travelled 16 miles in two separate cars in the thickest f fogs to a village we'd never been to before and I couldn't help but feel a little let down that we heard nothing from him after either. He did have both of our mobile numbers and my work number too. I do understand that he'd had an awfully busy week with the above mentioned situation and the church warden guessed that the vicar was in the next village comforting the family of the deceased church warden there, but really? Not one phone call even to him?

I really do feel awful about voicing how I feel but it really is getting me so down because we really can't do anything until we ave a date from him :-( again we were unfortunately unable to see him in church the following Sunday (yesterday) as he'd been on holiday for the week. Argh!!! What shall I do?!?!!!!

1 replies

Latest activity by kizzi10000, 14 January, 2013 at 11:26
  • Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content

The best thing I can say is keep going - we went about six times before we met with the vicar to ask about the date we wanted.

Alternatively, does the vicar do any other services in the area that you can attend to try and catch him - we sometimes go to services in the other churches our vicar visits but this doesn't mean we're not getting married in the one that we have picked - if you know what I mean.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not religious, but busy or not, I feel it's the height of bad manners to just not turn up at your own service without telling anyone, or if you couldn't, tell someone else. The only reason, in my mind, would be if he'd been taken seriously ill that morning and there wasn't time, though I would have hoped someone would have been able to find out afterwards and let you know.

My first reaction would be to say stuff it, and look for somewhere else, but I can appreciate this could be difficult if it's where you want and you've already been made so welcome by other people.

Maybe set a time limit on how long you will give them to get back to you to arrange something definite, and then looka round?

Good luck ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics