Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mustard_mitt
Beginner September 2015

Marryoke

mustard_mitt, 14 of March of 2014 at 08:51 Posted on Planning 0 71

At the Wedding Fair at the NEC recently, I found a stand for Wedding Marryoke, which looked like utter genius and such a great reminder of your day.

Has anyone had one at their wedding or know anyone who has? I think they look brilliant and we both love music but I'm a little concerned they might detract from the day, by people being told where to stand, what to do etc

I'm really keen, but not if it's going to annoy our guests!

Here's an example.... for those who haven't a clue what I'm talking about!

71 replies

Latest activity by Luna Lovegood, 2 of October of 2014 at 15:10
  • DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

Personally I'd rather stick pins in my eyes if anyone asked me to do this - as a bride or a guest.

I think you need to think about if all your guests would be up for it though as you don't want a video of awkward looking people trying to lip sync to a song they don't know.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I have to say, from what I've seen of them I find them a little cheesy and in some cases, a lot cringy - i'd run a mile if anyone came near me for one and I think it might be wise to check which of your guests would enjoy it and which wouldn't before you book one.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

It's not my cuppa tea but my friend who is getting married later this year is having it so will happily participate.

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, i think marryoke is awful! Lol.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Mustard_mitt, I'm going to stick my neck out and say I quite like it but then I like anything out of the norm. Bizarrely we do this at work but that's another story. Is it expensive?

• P
    Beginner July 2014
    Paranoid_Pixie_:) ·
    • Hide content

I love it!! This is totally up my cheese street Smiley winking and I know my family and guests would love it too. NOw to find out price and if they will come to sleepy Devon Smiley winking

• Luna Lovegood
    Beginner April 2014
    Luna Lovegood ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in April and having marryoke, we're actually using the company you linked to! Smiley laugh

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

How did I not know this existed? Shame my guests wouldnt be up for it and the budget is already gone.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Is it just me who is thinking this is a bit of a rip off? I think it would be funny to look back on but surely this could be done with a flipcam, ipod and speakers on the day and then edit it with moviemaker. Not sure what you would be paying for!

• Luna Lovegood
    Beginner April 2014
    Luna Lovegood ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi, we're not just getting the marryoke video, the package also includes the whole day and a highlights video.

• smccallum
    Beginner May 2015
    smccallum ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of this! I would just like to find room in my budget. My friend has been to two weddings where there was marryoke. She told me that one wedding marryoke was better than the other because of the song choice.

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

I think it looks like fun but only you know whether your guests would join in. (I would).

Don't forget to ask your registrar/vicar to join in - I know many who would love to!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

That song in the example is awful and cheesy but with a decent song it could be fun.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I didn't actually know what it was so had to google and youtube it.

I thought it was quite funny but maybe that's because I've never seen it before. I wouldn't want it myself though.

• P
    Beginner July 2014
    Paranoid_Pixie_:) ·
    • Hide content

I would be interested in the cost to x

• Luna Lovegood
    Beginner April 2014
    Luna Lovegood ·
    • Hide content

its costing just under £2300, but the company we are using are based in Belfast and we are in Newcastle, the price includes all their travel expenses Smiley smile

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This completely!

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SunnyOrangeConfetti79 ·
    • Hide content

I honestly can't work out if this is the best thing ever or the worst thing ever!! Smiley laugh

• E
    Beginner September 2015
    Emma180913 ·
    • Hide content

My. Worst. Nightmare.

• mickeyandminnie
    Beginner July 2015
    mickeyandminnie ·
    • Hide content

Sorry i felt uncomfortable watching that!!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha - I knew it'd be divisive!

Firstly, we would never EVER have a cheesy song - we're just not into all that cheesy romance stuff, but we both love our music and it seemed a lot more fun to send people a wedding video with a difference. I'll be the first to admit friends have sent me their wedding DVDs and I've never sat and watched them, but if it was a 4 minute music video, I'd watch it.

It does seem rather expensive though, so we'll see, but glad it's not just me who thinks they actually look like good fun. Whether Great Auntie Edna will agree, I'm not sure!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd be really interested to hear your feedback post the big day Luna, as to how easy/difficult it all is, how intrusive they were and guest reactions etc

• M
    Beginner May 2015
    MayBride2015 ·
    • Hide content

I also came across this for the first time at the NEC and I've been addicted ever since! I think providing you have the kind of guests who would be up for it (I'm hoping ours totally will be!) then it's an amazing idea!! I'm desperately trying to find a company to do it for a reasonable price as it a bit ridiculous to pay nearly £900 for a 4 minute film! The cheapest I have come across is £495 but do you think I can find the website again!! Also come across this website.. Video4aday.co.uk who add marryoke on to any package for £200 which is quite reasonablely priced.. Very open to anyone else who knows of any other cheaper companies - I'm getting married in the Berkshire area.

Lou x

• ApricotTree
    Beginner December 2013
    ApricotTree ·
    • Hide content

We've been asked about this a few times, and are considering having it as an add on to our videography package for those times where there is a bit of waiting around in the day/evening.

I think it can work, but is very wedding/guest dependant.

• cass_b
    Beginner April 2014
    cass_b ·
    • Hide content

Love it!! I think if you have the right kind of guests it would work and looks like so much fun!! We added it to our videographer package and then decided against it as we were concerned it would be a distraction to the day and disrupt the main wedding video which is costing us the most.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Just waking up an old thread on Marryoke's ...

We're now having one.

OH and I have discussed this on a weekly basis for the last six months, going backwards and forwards. She SO WANTS ONE and I think it looks cringey but also like it could be a bit of fun. We don't have much "organised fun" in our wedding. I was concerned about a marryoke turning my wedding day in to a circus.

One of our guests (a plus one, we don't know her that well) does them and offered us a decent price. I have been desperate for a wedding video, i.e. the ceremony and the speeches etc, but it's way out of our budget ... so we decided last night (after we did some work on our budget and realised we're currently doing pretty well with it) that we'd have a marryoke, and she'll also capture all the other important bits of the wedding too. My OH spent last night dancing around the living room. We're having 'I'm a believer'. We know that a large majority of our guests will embrace it (and probably put in the performance of a lifetime!!)

It is a bit cringey, but then honestly, my future wife is pretty cringey, and proud of it. And so am I. So there.

• smilesjp
    Beginner July 2015
    smilesjp ·
    • Hide content

Not my cup of tea, but it really made me laugh!

• RogueSnowflake
    Beginner July 2015
    RogueSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

Do it! I found out about marryoke last weekend and think it sounds like a great idea, if we can work out a way to DIY it. I didn't see this clip but I saw one which was edited so that people were miming, and that worked brilliantly (I also saw one where people were actually singing to Perfect day, all in different keys, not good!). We aren't having a Videographer so I thought it would be a nice way of having something organised and fun in the evening. I find guest messages on the videos are always a bit of a cliché as no one seems comfortable being themselves in front of the camera. With a diy marryoke, they could just lark about as they would be in small groups, filming it themselves. I know not everyone will do it, but it is a nice bit of extra entertainments for the extroverts!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that sounds brilliant SillyWrong! Great song choice too. ?

We're still thinking about it, but if we can get a good deal (ie from a wedding fair) we'll probably go for it as we aren't having a VOG and I'd rather send people a 4 min video than a 4 hour video.

Do you mind me asking how much yours is costing?

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I actually don't know at the moment because she's had a variety of offers on recently, plus we're 'friends and family' plus she's a guest at the wedding, plus we've asked for a bit extra in the filming/editing of the ceremony and speeches ... so we're waiting for a price from her.

I know she's VERY competitive though - where in the country are you? She's South/South West (I don't know what her policy is on travel) - if I introduce you I might earn myself some brownie points!!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

We're in Warwickshire, close to Birmingham. Might be a bit too far to travel maybe? I mean if she's willing to go the distance I'd be interested in speaking to her.... you might get an extra "recommend a friend" discount too if you're lucky? ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics