Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
Beginner January 2012

Mashed potato and scrambled eggs

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 14 April, 2013 at 19:05 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 17

Any tips on how to make these taste nice without the massive clots of size-10-jean-busting butter I usually add?

17 replies

Latest activity by Knees, 15 April, 2013 at 09:54
  • Muesli
    Beginner June 2013
    Muesli ·
    • Hide content

For Mash Slimming world lets you use stock instead of butter and milk, it actually tastes quite nice Smiley smile not sure on the egg's tho sorry

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I've never added butter to scrambled eggs. Just milk and eggs here, with a bit of seasoning. Not heard of making them with butter.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

If i do scrambled egg in the microwave I never use butter (or any fat just egg and milk)

For mash mash potato lots of different options

can replace butter with

milk and olive oil.

Flavored olive oils garlic/chili/truffle etc

Milk and Low fat Pesto

Low fat cream cheese.

Low fat mayo

Low fat sour cream with chives

• Aardvark
    Beginner January 2012
    Aardvark ·
    • Hide content

Noooooo! you need lashings of butter with scrambled eggs. Its a sin to do anything else.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

A little bit of cream cheese is nice in potatoes.

also don't use butter with eggs.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't eat mash without shed loads of butter. Tis a mortal sin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

I use a 'Two fat ladies' recipe for scrambled egg: 1tsp ice cold water per egg, whisk thorughly, then cook very slowly over a bain marie, stirring occasionally: really creamy and no added fat at all.

For mash use a splash of skimmed milk and keep mashing until your wrists hurt, adding lots of salt and pepper.

One day I hope to wear size 10 jeans again :-D

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Potentially the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. Bleurgh.

I don't use butter in scrambled eggs either.

Love a bit of philly light in with mashed potato, rather than butter.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

My mashed potato tip is:

Don't mash the potato, make roasties instead.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I don't like scrambled eggs with just milk/seasoning - it's a bit bland for me. If I'm going to lose the butter, I need to be adding something zinging to get me through them. I have chives on my windowsill, which would work. I'm wondering, with devilled eggs in mind, whether mustard might work? Or paprika? Chilli (a la huevos rancheros)?

Eclair - I usually start out with mash because I imagine it will be healthier than roast. However, than doesn't bank on previously-mentioned clots of butter.... Perhaps roast with some dry rub and one of those spray oil things would be better?

ETA: ah, you are probably just saying that roasties are better than mash!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

H adds pesto to mash, it's yummy! I sometimes add wholegrain mustard.

Another one who doesn’t add butter to scrambled eggs! just cracked black pepper and ketchup!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This but WITH butter as well!

As some of you may imagine I don't do the eggs in our house these days, boyo does them in a pan with butter and hardly beats the eggs always yum.

I would miss the butter in both quite a bit I think so I vote same as aardvark.

(oh and also am I the only one that thought that this was going to be a thread on a recipe to combine scrambled eggs and mash?!)

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So could I chuck one of those jelly stock pots in? Or a tsp of bouillon?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

These have a tendency to be quite salty so I would use sparingly

If you were looking for a healthier potato alternative have you considered 'Pomme Boulangere' ? (similar to dulphinoise potatoes accept you cook in stock rather than cream) you can make without the butter on top

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1286642/

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

I like scrambled eggs with fresh red chilli and coriander in them. Lovely, we often just have that on its own, no toast etc.

For me, mash has to have butter in it, but you could use Philly light. It won't taste the same tho! Or just have a jacket potato? Instead of proper mash the other night I had carrot and swede mash, it was nice and felt like comfort food. I had it with a grilled chicken breast and loads of veg and gravy. Low fat but felt naughty.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I never use butter in scrambled eggs either, cook on a really low heat in a good pan and they taste good to me. Always with hot sauce though. Green tabasco or Cholula Chipotle sauce are my favourites on eggs. On days when I can spare the calories I'll cook them with a bit of smoked cheese mixed through, Applewood scrambled eggs are lush and you actually only need a little bit if you're using a strong cheese.

I rarely eat mashed potato but when I do I usually add a cup of warm (semi skimmed) milk to make them smooth.

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

Quality eggs, in a trying pan with no fat, cooked from cold (pan, eggs room temperature), cooked very slowly and stirred. Not ferociously whipped, can be very creamy and rich and have lots of flavour. I love eggs like this, although I rarely have time to do it. I told a friend about doing eggs like that, and next time I saw him he said is changed his life and they tasted amazing! Eggs should neve have milk as it boils as a lower temp and the steam makes the eggs rubbery.

for mash? A bit of milk and a spoonful of whole grain mustard, or a spoon of Philadelphia and some herbs. Or rosemary and (roasted) garlic. I like my mash quietly lumpy -think more smashed potatoes than mashed. I like to get bits that taste like pure potato. I rarely do mash as you use more potatoes than you would if you had a jacket or boiled potatoes. When topping a pie I often do slices of potato so it uses less.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

When I was doing Slimming World, I'd use zero fat yoghurt in mash. Needs a bit more flavour then, so I'd add some wholegrain mustard. I'd sometimes use a dollop of half fat creme fraiche if I had some too, or extra light Philadelphia (especially with garlic and herbs).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics