Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nutella
Beginner March 2013

Master bedroom interior design help!

Nutella, 10 of December of 2013 at 22:03 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 28

? Hi everyone! Who fancies a interior design project?

We are knocking down a partition wall in our house to make a nice big master bedroom for ourselves. It's basically going to be gutted though so we'll be starting from scratch, new carpet, new décor, new curtains, all the way through to a new bed as we want a king size. New drawers etc too I expect!

Hoping to get some bargains over xmas so I need to do some planning now.

These are the curtains I want, so I need to work out a plan around them, I'd love to do a feature wall but I just don't have the eye for this sort of thing!

Also storage beds, has anyone got one of those ones where the whole mattress lifts up?

28 replies

Latest activity by Nutella, 16 of December of 2013 at 09:22
  • Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea of mixing a bit of yellow in there! Would never have thought of that ?

Would you go for the carpet being a biscuit colour? I'm keen not to go for anything too wild on the bits that aren't easily replaced like that. We've got brown carpets in the other upstairs rooms but they are more darker brown than biscuit

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

One of the walls in my living room is that colour, and we have a grey couch and biscuit coloured carpet that goes great with it, so sounds similar to what Jo has said. We don't have any yellow, but have oak wood which is kind of gold toned, and my gold Christmas decs go with it well so presume that's the same priciple!

I chose the wall colour, and then MF chose the rest. Pains me to admit it's his doing!!! I'll take a pic of wall, chair and carpet combo to let you see it.

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

We have an ottoman bed, what would you like to know?

(Can't help with the other stuff, I'm rubbish!)

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

*Disclaimer* Dog not included (and not available at Laura Ashley!)

• TheRealTricks
    Beginner January 2012
    TheRealTricks ·
    • Hide content

I have those curtains in my living room - good taste!

I have a charcoal/silver/plum colour scheme going on. I have a feature wall (which you can see in the christmas thread) and the rest of the walls are painted in a light grey.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Ooh thanks everyone. JoJo I love your house, can I move in with you instead?! Just tell Flynn to budge up on the sofa haha!

I'm loving this bed https://www.next.co.uk/g492712s2

OB is your ottoman bed got drawers in it or does the whole thing lift up? I also like this one but not sure what's best for storage space, obvs drawers are better for day to day access but will i end up with the same total space? https://www.bensonsforbeds.co.uk/bed-frames/hip-hop-ottoman-bed-frame?variantSku=HUBHIP006

And in searching the lovely laura ashley for wallpaper I came across this which is a) lovely and b) it's exactly the same wallpaper as is in our other bedroom in a different colour!! How ironic..
    http://www.lauraashley.com/kimono-amethyst-floral-wallpaper/invt/3481491

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

We've got a bed with drawers and I like it. I don't know much about ottoman beds so can't compare.

I like that wallpaper nutty.

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We have the whole of the underneath of the bed, like the bensons one you linked. You get a lot more storage space that way than by having drawers, and also, we have bedside drawers that would block access to the first draw on the other bed.

I can take you a photo of under our bed if you like so you can see just how much we’ve crammed in?

I was worried about it being a pain and not as accessible, but honestly it is SO easy to use. You just pull the handle and it lifts itself up, grab what you want and push it back down again. The only way it would be a problem is if you get up at different times and stored things you needed under the bed. So if we wanted to keep underwear etc under there it would have been no good for us as H gets up way earlier than me! We do store PJ’s under there but go to bed together so that isn’t a problem.

Opening it doesn’t ruin how you’ve made the bed either, it comes back down in position Smiley smile

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

We had this too, but it was actually a really simple problem once we figured it out! The gas canisters had been pre screwed together the wrong way round!!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Jo when you said you were looking at moving, I thought about your wallpaper! I'm areadly not wanting to leave mine, which is stupid as we are going to be here for good few years yet! MF agrees it's good wallpaper.

We have a divan bed, it's really useful, just has two massive drawers. I think they are really sturdy and comfy. Cheap to change up if you want by getting a new headboard. I know some people think they are outdated, and don't like that you have to use a valance but I don't mind and quite like my box valance!

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

That IS a lot of storage ?

I used to have a divan actually when I was in rented but I do love a wooden bed now sorry girls, nowt against your divans though!!

Think I might go for a cheeky browse round the shops at the weekend while my wall is being torn down!

Good to hear about LA wallpaper being good to work with (not that I intend to do it myself haha, that's what my little doss brother is for!)

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Picking up ideas of what do with the 'guest' room once my SD moves out... I love the purple and yellow idea!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

If you are after wallpaper I would NOT recommend Next wallpaper, really hard to work with!

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I love my LA wallpaper I have it in my living room and have bought some from the sale for the hall and landing when they had their 50% off sale (they will probably have this after xmas if you hang on, and I got my wallpaper down from £37 to a the £15 ish mark) gives you more money to buy other stuff?

• *Carole*
    Beginner August 2007
    *Carole* ·
    • Hide content

Love the colours.

I'd love wall paper but we've just spent lots of money getting the walls replastered so my husband refused to get them covered in paper!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the tip. I really like Next's stuff and we will be doing more work to our house next year.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Jo.. my living room one is "isodore" (I think) in the charcoal/gold/cream.. cant remember what the hall one is.. I will take pics and put it on sange's post

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Update! So the wall came down this weekend, here's a before and after pic, I'm annoyed that hitched won't let me put them up the right way but ho hum.

So today we have a plasterer in to make it all pretty and good! Then instead of sitting back and watching other people do work we have to crack on with decorating ☹️ My head is so fuddled with the end idea that I'm now trying to just do 1 step at a time, so we're going to get some tester paints later, ranging from magnolia to yellow, see what looks best.

JoJo and ATB you will be amused to know I am now considering a divan.. mainly due to realising that having a frame on a bed adds another 10mm to the size that will take away from how many chests of drawers I can have ?. Thinking of getting a fitted bedroom consultant to come round and give us some ideas!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics