Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2016

Matching suits or not??

marie75, 22 of March of 2015 at 13:58 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hello my lovelies,

the questions of suits has come up and I'm not sure what way to go and would appreciate some advice to what you would do or have done.

we will need suits for Groom, FIL, FOB, OH son (20), my 2 sons (20 and 18). Page boy(nephew 5) will be in navy shorts and waistcoat with white shirt, blush pink bow tie and grey converse and two junior ushers (nephews 11 and 13) will be in navy trousers, waistcoat with white shirts and grey(?) ties.

my difficulty with the suits are no one wants to wear the same type. My OH hates 'skinny/slim' fit suits where as my 2 sons in particular like the skinnier the better. My OH son would wear what ever is put out in front of him on the morning lol.

I had originally had envisioned matching suits but to go down that road I think at least one person would be unhappy/uncomfortable on the day and that's not what I want.

i had thought about giving them a brief (navy and single breasted) and a budget (we are buying the suits) and telling them to go and buy the suit they like and then pulling the look together with the same shirts and ties? Do you think this would work?

thanks for reading x

6 replies

Latest activity by firsttimebride83, 23 of March of 2015 at 11:49
  • A
    Beginner May 2016
    Arabella16 ·
    • Hide content

I think that could work - or you could direct them all to the same shop if one shop to a normal and slim fit in the same colour; somewhere like M&S or Next might do this.

The other option is to buy the suits in the 'regular fit' your OH likes for everyone, and then get them tailored to a slimmer fit by a local seamstress for your sons - that way they would all be the same suit.

Good luck! X

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I've shot loads of weddings where the guys haven't been in matching suits and I think it's great! Everyone get's to wear something they like and are comfortable in, which for us is the most important thing when considering our own wedding.

The matchy matchy nature of weddings seems to be on the decline of late. Non matching bridesmaids dresses, suits, centrepieces and so on are becoming more and more popular. I think your idea is a fab one and it'll work beautifully i'm sure Smiley smile

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

We're not going to have matching suits for our guys....Oh is in navy, my son,who is giving me away, is in grey, best man is in tweed and our only usher is in black

All with matching ties, pocketsquares and button holes, and all looking as they want to look.

A smart, well fitted suit looks amazing. So we will have four amazing looking guys there....just all amazing in their individual ways!

• JSuitsVox
    JSuitsVox ·
    • Hide content

At our wedding the groom and best man were in different suits to the rest of the ushers, looked good!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Yes I think it will work. It's what we're also planning on doing. The guys will be in navy suits and OH, BM and usher are all really into the slim fit, very tailored style - but there's no way I could put my dad in something like that! We will be getting him a navy suit separately in a cut which suits him better. They will all have white shirts and pink ties (apart from OH I think, up to him to decide), so I think it will work well.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

We only had the Groom, Father of bride and best man in matching. The others were just in the same colour (grey) and had a purple tie) I actually don't like it overly matchy!

• F
    Beginner October 2015
    firsttimebride83 ·
    • Hide content

We're not having matching suits either, OH is wearing full grey suit with red tie, son is wearing grey waistcoat and red bowtie x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics