Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

allymc
Beginner May 2007

Mattress toppers/ breathing life in to an old mattress

allymc, 19 of April of 2009 at 18:37 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

We're moving in to a new house and buying ourselves a new bed and mattress. Our current one will go in the spare room but to be honest the mattress isn't the most comfortable (it's almost 9 years old, was fairly cheap back then and now feels a little lumpy!). I can't really justify the expense of a new mattress at the mo and particularly seeing as it'll only be used on occassion. I'm just wondering whether anyone has a mattress topper and if they make any real difference on the comfort side of things.

?

12 replies

Latest activity by Dr Svensk Tiger, 19 of April of 2009 at 21:15
  • DaisyDaisy
    DaisyDaisy ·
    • Hide content

I think so, yes. I don't have one, but my MUm & Dad do - they like it so much they are going to buy one for our spare room so they cansleep in comfort..do you mean the memory foam ones?

H & I slept in her bed though to mixed results. I woke up feeling amazing, all back pain gone, after night 1. H said he didn't like it and it felt weird..then night 2 I got NO sleep because H was snoring SO loudly and badly and warthogly, and we think it's because he couldn't move around. Anyway, it was a comfortable night not sleeping.

Mum got hers from Dunhelm Mill which is really quite cheap, maybe £100 for a kingsize.

• Dr Svensk Tiger
    Beginner
    Dr Svensk Tiger ·
    • Hide content

I like them. We have an Ikea one on our bed and a memory foam one on the spare bed, they're both very comfortable though I probably slightly prefer the Ikea one. The Ikea one was about 80 pounds for a 140cm bed and the memory foam one was about 40 pounds for a 120cm bed.

• Dr Svensk Tiger
    Beginner
    Dr Svensk Tiger ·
    • Hide content

Meant to say, we bought the memory foam one on eBay.

• A
    Beginner February 2006
    Alexm ·
    • Hide content

We have a big poofy feather one from John Lewis and it makes our bed a lot softer and more snuggly iykwim. Probably wouldn't help if you needed to make the mattress more supportive though.

• D
    Dopper2 ·
    • Hide content

I use an old duvet under the bottom sheet instead of a mattress topper. Really snuggly and much cheaper - I pick my 'mattress topper' duvets in Asda for a tenner.

• Zooropa
    Super October 2007
    Zooropa ·
    • Hide content

Our matress got very lumpy and whilst we were deciding wether to get a new one we got a feather topper. It's great and has really made a difference - it's so comfortable that we have decided not to get a new one for a while.

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

We have this one https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50073471/ and its sooo much better, our mattress was so uncomfy but H didnt want to spend out on a new one so we tried it and it is much better than I expected it would be.

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

I can defintley recommend any of the toppers from the duvet & pillow warehouse. They are really good quality and at excellent prices, we got the feather one (because it breathes better when OH gets hot, than the microfibre/foam type)

• allymc
    Beginner May 2007
    allymc ·
    • Hide content

Many thanks for all the replies. Looks like a topper could be the way to go. Just wondering how the Ikea ones fit on a UK sized double mattress if anyone has done this.............I know their sizing is a little different.

?

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our bed is king sized and the topper is bigger, means you need Ikea sized sheets or they dont fit, it slips a little now and then, you just need to shove it back.

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content

We've just got a memory foam one from B&M home stores for £49.99 for a double (reduced from £70) it's really made a difference to our lumpy matteress its great, although I'm now debating wanging a douvet on the top to make it all snuggly!

• allymc
    Beginner May 2007
    allymc ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Those are really good prices tahdah! Unfortunately stock seems to be fairly low in double sizes though or I could have been seriously tempted.

• Dr Svensk Tiger
    Beginner
    Dr Svensk Tiger ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Some of the Ikea ones come in standard UK mattress sizes so you'd be fine.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics