Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Batfink
Beginner January 2008

Maxi dress to a wedding?

Batfink, 30 April, 2009 at 16:01 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 40

Would this be considered OK by most brides do you think? I'm coveting this dress

But wasn't sure if full length is acceptable to wear to weddings - WDYT? Also what colour accessories would you go for?

Thank you for any advice!

40 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 10 February, 2011 at 11:07
  • NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

If you want to look like a photo negative or a humbug, then great. otherwise, abit grim imo, esp for a wedding.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

Humbug, oh dear. ?

I wouldn't wear a maxi dress as to me it's the one time you can really dress up and make an effort. Maxi dress would say a lovely day in town with friends, sipping wine by the river at dusk or yummy mummy but not wedding. Sorry.

I wish I did think they were appropriate though as most of the lovely plus size dresses are maxi!

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

I think maxi dresses are okay for less formal weddings (the kind where no one wears a hat). I'd wear yellow accessories with that dress.

That said, although I don't mind the dress, I don't think it's quite right for a wedding, I'm not sure why.

• Batfink
    Beginner January 2008
    Batfink ·
    • Hide content

Ok ? but what about maxi dresses in general? I was trying to stay away from strapless which a lot of them seem to be, and also love this

but thought maybe the cream/silk combo was a bit bridsmaid-ish.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

I like the second one a lot. Fine for a wedding imo, as long as it's not too formal an occasion.

• Dr Svensk Tiger
    Beginner
    Dr Svensk Tiger ·
    • Hide content

I much prefer the second one and think it would be fine for a wedding.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

If you were 65, the second one would be ideal (but not for a wedding)

i hate maxi dresses. they are SO unflattering, and make most women look fat - even the slimmest of girls.

• Batfink
    Beginner January 2008
    Batfink ·
    • Hide content

Sorry only Nick had replied when I posted. I think it would be a bit hard for me to guess how formal the wedding is going to be, as although it's a marquee wedding the bride is a bit high maintenance. Maybe I'll veer away from the maxis then. Which is a pain as I'm happy with my arms but not keen on getting my legs out.

Thank you for your advice everyone.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the wedding. I don't seem to go to the super formal affairs that other people on here do, as that dress looks perfectly wedding appropriate to me

L
    xx

• Dr Svensk Tiger
    Beginner
    Dr Svensk Tiger ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? I've never even tried one on as they're not really my sort of thing but I fear this would be true for me.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

Actually, thinking about what Sophie says, I think for some weddings that are more informal, that (the second one) would be fine. I tend to think of weddings as more formal affairs. I've actually only been to one informal wedding, the only hitch was my ex and I were very dressed up. His friend had forgotten to mention it was low key, I just want to know why they got married in and had the reception in a town hall if the wanted low key. ?

I thought I was being clever as my ex had two weddings to go to in the space of two weeks but completely unconnected. I spent more and got an outfit I thought would suit for both. Oops.

Even with my experience, if I wasn't in the position to ask about formality and it wasn't stated, I would dress up more formally..

• Batfink
    Beginner January 2008
    Batfink ·
    • Hide content

I'm 25 Nick and a size 12 so not super slim.

So the second one is considerably better, but maybe not a good idea anyway as I don't know how formal the wedding will be and I'll look 65 ? I have totally lost my way with fashun, it's going to take me ages to find something!

• Dr Svensk Tiger
    Beginner
    Dr Svensk Tiger ·
    • Hide content

How would people define a "formal" wedding? I consider my wedding to have been formal and I don't think a maxi dress would have looked out of place? Or maybe it would have because it was in December and they are rather summery. I'm going to a wedding on Saturday that I imagine will be very formal. I'll spend the day outfit watching and see if I can spot any maxi dresses ?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

One where most or all the women wear hats and men not in the bridegroom's immediate party wear morning coats.

• Batfink
    Beginner January 2008
    Batfink ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes please do & report back!

I find it confusing as maxi dresses are too dressy for everyday wear (well I find a lot of them are) so I'm not really sure where I'd wear one then. Maybe I just don't get invited to enough posh parties.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

This is my favourite dress at the moment, I loof it and just wish I was a size 12 to wear it!

The last wedding I was at was my cousin's and I was a size 10/12 depending on shops. I decided to wear a trouser suit as I didn't think I had the figure for a dress. The only other lady in trousers was the butch lesbian auntie! 4 years of steroids later, pretty dresses aren't easy to find. Please buy a very lovely dress, tell yourself you are slim (because size 12 is slim!) and feel beautiful. ?

• P
    Beginner July 2007
    pippin ·
    • Hide content

I got married 2 years ago around July time and a few of my friends wore maxi dresses and looked lovely. My wedding was formal. If it looks good on you and you are comfortable wearing it then go for it.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Mrs Magic, that dress is designed to flatter someone who is rail thin (no breasts and bony knobbly knees). I am a size 10 and wouldn't dream of wearing it as it would make me look fat.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

Dr ST, in Scotland formal would usually be ladies wearing a hat and men in a dress kilt or non kilt wearers in a v smart suit as we don't really do morning coats

• Dr Svensk Tiger
    Beginner
    Dr Svensk Tiger ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok, thanks. It would seem I have never been to a formal wedding then ? So, if a wedding isn't properly formal but isn't informal, what is it? I think all the weddings I've been to come under this category. Or are they all just informal if they're not formal? I hate the thought that my lovely wedding was somehow informal, I mean no-one wore a tracksuit ? I'm really bored at work by the way, which I hope explains my eagerness to consider wedding classification.

• Dr Svensk Tiger
    Beginner
    Dr Svensk Tiger ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Will do!

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

? I think most weddings are like yours, Dr ST. Mine certainly was - I think only one woman wore a hat. The one I went to last Saturday was less formal even than that - no women in hats and not all the men in suits. That was in SA though, they do weddings differently there. Much less formal generally, in fact it's very unusual to see women wearing hats, except for wanky "Society" weddings.

• Dr Svensk Tiger
    Beginner
    Dr Svensk Tiger ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well under that definition my wedding was formal (and in Scotland too).

And no, it doesn't really matter but I'm very bored. Although actually it does remind me of how, in the run up to the wedding, my dad and step-mum insisted and insisted that we'd said it was going to be a very informal wedding (we didn't, we said it wouldn't be very traditional) and therefore they would be going back to their hotel to change into casual clothes after the meal (they didn't in the end). I didn't care what they wore but their hotel was a two hour round trip away so it was a bit of a strange idea.

• Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

You should definitely try a maxi dress on if you like the look of them Batfink. I'm a size 12 at the moment and not a nice slim one either (an apply shaped one). I bought a maxi dress a month or so a go for a wedding abroad in the summer and it's quite honestly the most flattering item in my wardrobe.

• lyni
    Beginner October 2008
    lyni ·
    • Hide content

I think maxi dresses are fine for weddings. However, I'm sorry but I don't like either of your choices. I think they are too old for you.

I do like this one, don't know if it would be any good for you (or a wedding in general actually, but it is very nice!).

https://www.warehousefashion.com/womens/dresses

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

I think maxi dresses are ok for informal weddings but not smart enough for formal. Imagine a man in a morning suit standing next to a woman in a maxi dress- all wrong IMO. I'm generally not keen on long dresses to weddings (unless you're the bride ?)- they're either too mumsy or too much like evening wear.

That blue Grecian one is definitely more for evening IMO, although do bear in mind that Tom and Barbara will probably be in homemade clothes and Jerry won't notice what you wear ?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Roobarb
    Beginner January 2007
    Roobarb ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am a bigger woman admittedly and thought about getting one for my son's christening - tried a couple on and I looked like a 1970s patterned sofa. Even MrR who never says anything negative about my weight said "get that off, you look like you've put on about 4 stone" ? Far too much material on far too much body. Tbh I think unless someone's a stick insect, ie someone who can wear anything just because they are so thin whether it's actually nice/flattering or not, they should all be scooped into a big pile and burned ?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Maxi dresses vary tremendously in terms of how flattering they are. Most of them tend to be halterneck/empire-line/full-skirted, and they are bound to make anyone look like a sofa. You need a straightish skirt and fabric with a bit of stretch so it drapes nicely and clings a bit. I absolutely adore my pucci-print, backless maxi dress from Topshop - it's fabulous and so flattering. I'd save it before anything else in my wardrobe in the event of a fire.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

its not the dress, its those bunnies you ve been hoovering ?

• Roobarb
    Beginner January 2007
    Roobarb ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The ones I tried on were all chiffony floaty ones admittedly. I mistakenly thought they'd just cover up all my flab. Which they did by making me look like a marquee with a head poking out of the top ? One of them looked like something my gran might have worn on holiday to the Costa del Sol in the 1970s ?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

I bet when mr j took the remnants of teh bunny that he said "i m just thining of you, trying to save you from yourself, think of that maxi dress with the pretty print" ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics