Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner May 2021 Queensland

May 2021 wedding abroad - advice needed!

Jessie, 2 of November of 2020 at 14:25 Posted on Planning 0 2
My fiancé and I are both UK based however getting married in Australia (I’m Aussie, he’s British). We have been engaged almost 2.5 years now, and have had to reschedule twice (originally planned for March 2020, postponed to October 2020, now May 2021).

My family are all in Australia, while my partner’s family are all here, along with friends etc. The plan was for approx. 20-30 people from the UK to travel out to Australia for our wedding.
Obviously we are not alone in the wedding stress department with all that is happening right now, however I am increasingly upset/stressed/losing my mind thinking of rescheduling again. Currently Australia have their borders closed (no one in or out, generally) with no signs as to when they will open. The biggest hint we have is that it won’t be until a vaccine and Australian media are predicting this to be late 2021 at the earliest.
Our wedding is delaying a number of things for us - we had intended on moving back to Australia in the coming year or two but now will have to delay that, along with buying a house, starting a family... and I honestly don’t know if I can go through another postponement.
I’m open to all options here but would love some advise on what other couples would do in this situation. I would be devastated to get married without my mum here (which is the main thing stopping us) and neither of us is overly thrilled by the idea of a registry office wedding here and a bigger wedding later on as we both feel it would take away from the bigger celebration later on...
Any help or advise would be GREATLY appreciated!

2 replies

Latest activity by Happyorangeconfetti19696, 15 of December of 2020 at 17:49
  • N
    Beginner April 2021 South West London
    Nel ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, not sure how much advice I can offer. I am in the same boat with the wedding planned on South Africa next year, their borders have opened but testing and quarantine rules are still in place and I’m not sure how all our guests will be able to handle this.

I guess my only thoughts are you still have time till May you can even wait to the new year and see where things are. Keep your guests updated where possible and speak to your coordinator if you have one or whoever is helping plan the wedding Australia as they may have more intel on what’s going on and any changes ahead. I appreciate you post was some time ago but hopefully things have moved on since then. Let me know how you get on, looking for supper from other brides who are remaining positive about a wedding in 2021
  • H
    Beginner May 2022 Oxfordshire
    Happyorangeconfetti19696 ·
    • Hide content
    I suppose it depends on your goal - my other half didn't want to compromise on our big day with masks or limited guest lists. We're younger and not planning kids so we've got all the time in the world (6 years together). For others, they just want to get married and be together regardless of who is there or what they do on the day. That would be a dealbreaker for him though as why compromise when we have no rush.

If you can't proceed, can you do a legal ceremony and have a party in the UK to celebrate when it's safe and another in Aus when you move there?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics