Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2016

May Half Term Wedding?

Soulsby1, 11 March, 2013 at 19:06 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi everyone,

Me and my partner just recently got engaged and we're struggling to set a date. We're been backwards and forwards between either September or May 2015.

The most important things for us is that there's a good chance of nice sunny weather, that it doesn't cost too much money and that myself and others don't miss too much work! I'm a teacher and so a half term or just before going back to work after the summer break would be best.

What are your opinions on a wedding during the May half term? I'm thinking maybe Tues 26th, Wed 27th or Thursday 28th May 2015. Can anyone see any issues with those dates? Would the venue charge us more money as it's a half term?

An outside eye looking in would really help as we are finding it hard to come to a definite decision!

Thank you so much :o)

Rhea.

4 replies

Latest activity by Irisbride, 13 March, 2013 at 08:49
  • tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement & welcome to hitched!

I would have thought that a wedding on a mid-week would be cheaper regardless of half term? I'd suggest contacting some venues and discuss dates with them before you decide on the date for definite.

We're getting married in Ireland and picked a bank holiday for both UK and Ireland and we havne't ended up paying any more than anyone else we know who's going with the same venue for just a regular weekend.

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Originally we were planning for 28th may too but my mum talked me out of it - her and my brother work in retail and are forbidden to take a day off seven days before a bank holiday (yes even for her own daughters wedding!!!) and she also said people in the family like to go on holiday that week. Only have two children coming so being a half term doesn't really help. Now booked for 15th May instead (thursday) so people can have the option to book the thursday & friday off work and get a long weekend. Quite a lot of us are shift workers anyway so plenty of people wont be working next day. oh and i have found that may and september are still classed as peak months, they might be slightly cheaper than june, july aug but prob the same price as each other. out of the 10 venues we viewed no one had a extra pricing for half term, just days of week and month of year. if it rains in may it rains but at least i havent spent loads extra having it in june/july/aug only for it to still rain!!!

let me know when you decide, our weddings could be really close! xxx

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I still find the concept of a midweek wedding slightly strange to be honest but that's probably just me. I think Friday's are ok as it's the weekend after anyway, but if I went to a midweek wedding, I might not be so up for partying, drinking, etc if I have to go back to work the next day. Particularly important if you have guests who will be travelling a long way as it could involve them taking several days off work. I don't think they would charge you extra for it being half-term, but as mentioned it is peak season anyway.

You'll never please everyone- so pick a date that fits you and your OH, and just make sure you send save the dates or send your invites early if you think it's going to involve people needing to take time off, etc.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics