Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2015

Med cruise wedding or Italian wedding

SunnyRedDiamonds181, 15 of August of 2014 at 21:44 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 6

Hello - help!

We are planning to get married in Aug 2015 and are in the midst of discussing location.. Aside from staying local, we are now considering options abroad:

- Med cruise

- Tuscany

Does anyone have experience of either? If so, I'm looking for recommendations of suppliers, venues, planners, etc.. And budget ranges too if poss!

Whatever we choose has to be children friendly as we have two kids.

Thanks very much

6 replies

Latest activity by edc-, 23 of August of 2014 at 11:58
  • J
    Beginner September 2014
    Jfh ·
    • Hide content

Getting married on a ship is not that easy. Depending on where the ship is flagged (registered) they will have to follow the rules of that country. Royal Caribbean, for example, are flagged in the Bahamas where weddings at sea are not permitted. So you can only get married on one of their ships when it's docked. You would also need to provide your own minister because, under Bahamas law, you have to be authorised to perform marriages. You can have a blessing or ceremony on the ship but it would not be a legal marriageCelebrity cruises are flagged in Malta where sea weddings are permitted and a ship's captain can marry you, thus avoiding the need for a minister. However, the captain is often too busy to marry people and even if you pre-book a time slot for the wedding it may be cancelled if the captain is called to attend to something urgent.

P&O Cruises ships are registered in Bermuda so you can get married on board one of their ships.

NCL ships are registered in the Bahamas so the same rules apply as Royal Caribbean.

Beginner April 2014
    **Claire** ·
    • Hide content

Assuming you are having guests, my concern with a cruise wedding would be everyone has to come for the set package of time and could be pricey for guests. I imagine you have more flexibility in Tuscany in accommodation options, how long to stay etc but don't know about the legalities.

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    ladyh4 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

I'm getting married on the 21st September this year on board P&O Oceana. We're sailing from Southampton and going round the Med. We booked through our local Thomas Cook and so far in has been stress free. We get married on a day at sea, although our wedding date is now a day earlier as our route has been changed, that's suits me as its only a couple of days into our trip so my wedding dress will definitely fit!!!

The ceremony itself isn't cheap, I think we paid £1500, but if we were to get married at home there would be the expense of wedding cars, reception, bridesmaids, flowers, entertainment etc.

If you are planning on taking guests with you then it may prove to be quite expensive for them, its only both sets of parents going with us so not a problem. We've also booked a mini suite for our accommodation, again not cheap but we figured its our honeymoon too. There are other cabins available so its really up to budget and personal choice.

Flowers, cakes etc are optional extras on board. You can download the wedding brochure online for up to date prices and more info.

If you need any further info give me a shout Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    SunnyRedDiamonds181 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you very much, really appreciate you taking the time to post.

• E
    edc- ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We recently got married in Calabria Italy and it was amazing!!!

We initially looked at the Bagni di Lucca area in Tuscany but decided Tuscany was over done and then found the gem that is Calabria Smiley smile

Easy to get to direct flights Stansted to Lamezia with Ryanair, accommodation for our guests was very reasonable, the weather was amazing in July and the food to die for, I would definitely recommend it!!!

We did an amazing cliff top wedding in Capo Vaticano - we had the most amazing time and all our friends keep talking about it saying it was the best wedding yet. The professional pics are yet to come but a friend took a few shots of the venue (see attached). It is a beautiful part of Italy and it was a lot cheaper that getting married in the UK.

this is the place www.ilfaro-wedding.com

I hope that is helpful Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    SunnyRedDiamonds181 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that edc2014 - it looks gorgeous - congratulations!

Did you get married at the venue itself? We are thinking that it will be easier to have a registry office ceremony in the UK and then opt for a symbolic ceremony whilst we're out there.

Also, would you say this venue would be child friendly? We have two kids and there will be a few kids coming of various ages - mainly 6 and under.

Thanks again!

• E
    edc- ·
    • Hide content

Hi

happy to help Smiley smile

we got married in the cathedral of Tropea in a catholic ceremony, but to make the bureaucracy easier we opted to marry in a civil ceremony.

i am sure you could get married at the venue in a symbolic ceremony, that would be amazing at sunset with the view!!!

we had loads of children at our wedding, the venue organised 2 babysitters/entertainers and 2 kids tables and a kids area for them to play; it was great like that our friends could chill out and relax. This was an extra cost and I believe cost €300, but it would be less expensive if you only need one - we ended up with two as we had 15 kids.

The venue contact details are: http://www.ilfaro-wedding.com/contact/

let me know if you have extra questions Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics