Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner March 2009

Medication to delay period? (TMI for some people)

Mrs Bloom, 18 of January of 2009 at 13:52 Posted on Planning 0 7

I have quite irregular periods so it's hard for me to predict when they're going to arrive, but judging from the past few months it's a possibility it may arrive around the time of wedding, which obviously I don't want. I have heavy, painful periods so it would be a nightmare to be on my period for the wedding.

I've heard there is something you can get from your doctor to delay your period - has anyone had this or any experience of anything like this (other than going on the contraceptive pill which I don't want to do - bad experiences in the past)

7 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousIvoryCakes61034, 24 of October of 2019 at 08:00
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Sheesh, im surprised you've put up with it and not opted for the injections or the rods in your arm to stop them completely. I have heard of some drug but off the top of my head I dont know. I'd go and speak to your doc and hope they can advise ya.

• Stupidgirl45
    Beginner July 2009
    Stupidgirl45 ·
    • Hide content

Yes speak to you GP - I will be doing the same thing as I have a simillar problem and suspect I'm due on for the wedding.

The main thing that bothers me is that I get massively bloated eeekkkkkkkkkk oh, and moody too - just what you need right before the wedding....

Let me know how you go - as I will need the same thing most likely

• Juicymelons
    Beginner May 2010
    Juicymelons ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I have used Norethisterone also called Mefenimic Acid, you take it the first sign that your period is starting and you continue taking it daily, when you stop your period will start. It can make you slightly bloated and be careful you don't miss a dose as you will get break through bleeding. You get it from your gp, it really does work.

If you are considering getting an injection to stop them, do it sooner rather than later as they tend to give you a massive clearout (sorry tmi) and there is no predicting when that will happen. Though that was with an injection called Zoladex so they may not all do the same.

I would talk to your gp sooner rather than later.

Good Luck !

• M
    Beginner March 2009
    Mrs Bloom ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys - I will have to sort out going to the GP. Just wanted to check such a thing actually did exist!

I'm not going to go for any kind of long term option such as injections etc as I don't want it for contraceptive purposes, just to delay period.

• kelly29
    Beginner May 2009
    kelly29 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Norethisterone and mefenamic acid are two different things. Mefenamic acid is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory which can help ease period pain. It won't delay your period.

Transxemic acid (sp?) may be helpful though, as this is a drug which prevents bleeding. I have to take both of the "acids" together every month just so I can get out of bed!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that mine may just finish by my wedding day, as I can't take any medication which will affect my hormones, so if I have my period on my wedding day or honeymoon I can't do anything about it.

• Juicymelons
    Beginner May 2010
    Juicymelons ·
    • Hide content

Sorry should have said also "something" called mefenamic acid, as combined with the norethiserone it worked very well for me. The norethisterone keeps your hormone levels up so you don't have the withdrawel bleed. Then when you stop them your levels drop and hey presto af arrives. The mefenamic acid stopped it being as crampy as all that is happening is the bleeding is delayed you can still get pmt with it, well I did anyway!

The doctor is the best person to advise you though.

Kelly, hope the timings work out ok for you. I sympathise with the heavy periods, I ended up having a partial hysterctomy because they were so bad ☹️ I was only 35, lucklily I already had my son.

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

Your GP will be able to advise which tablet would be best for you, the implant and injections do stop your period but some people find that they put weight on (not a good idea if you are trying to loose weight for your wedding ? ).

Whatever they give you to postpone your period you will need to take this 3 days before your period starts which can be a bit difficult if you are irregular and don't get any symptoms but he/she will help you out ?

• L
    LuxuriousIvoryCakes61034 ·
    • Hide content

Norethisterone 5mg tablets can also be prescribed to delay your period, for instance if you don't want it to come while you're on holiday or if you're taking part in a sporting event.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics