Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2017

Meeting suppliers before booking

MrsW2017, 8 of February of 2016 at 22:56 Posted on Planning 0 11

Generally, are you meeting your suppliers before booking them? We met our florist in person before we booked her but otherwise we've only had phone conversations with most of them. Do you think it matters not meeting them first?

11 replies

Latest activity by Anna Zofka Photography, 10 of February of 2016 at 16:11
  • KinkyBride
    Beginner March 2016
    KinkyBride ·
    • Hide content

We ordered our flowers online (silk) without even speaking to the supplier other than to order a sample via email.

We did meet with cake maker to discuss ideas however when I first got married, the cake was ordered over the telephone from a photo on their website.

Stationer was met at a wedding fair held by our venue and arrangements were made via facebook.

Transport for my first wedding was organised over the phone (it was a minibus so didnt really need to look at it or discuss much with them).

Photographer for first wedding was met at a wedding fair however we then organised everything over the phone/email.

Videographer and chocolate fountain for first wedding were met on here with everything organised via email. Ditto flowers, tiara designer and stationer. Oh and cake topper which I won in a raffle!

I think as long as you're happy with the arrangements you've made and have any necessary agreements in writing then it's fine to not meet everyone in person.

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

We've met everyone apart from my hair and MUA but that was because we found most of them at wedding fairs. I don't think it matters if you haven't met them if you're happy with what they've said on the phone, although I would want the details in writing as well. I only had a very brief chat at a wedding fair with the lady who made our invites then everything else was done by e-mail months later and I couldn't have been happier with her work.

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

We have not booked everything but we have booked photographer and dj/singer. It was very important to me to meet the photographer in person as i wanted to make sure we felt comfortable with them and that we were happy with them. However the singer we booked after finding online and having a telephone conversation. Unless they are really local we will probably book other suppliers without meeting in person as well.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

I think we've met everyone so far.

We've booked:

Photographer, Photobooth people, Pianist, DJ, Magician and Cars. I've met one florist and gotten a quote from her.

We liked meeting them, especially the Photographer because it meant that we created a relationship. It has definitely felt more relaxed!

I don't think it HAS to matter though - we've not met the people who will print our invites, but that's because we've designed them and we've used these printers before.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

The only people I don't plan on meeting before booking is my chair cover hire.

When I originally looked for make-up artists, a lot of them just sent a quote through for what I needed and asked for a deposit- which I didn't really like. I managed to find one that was based in a salon and went out to meet her. This helped me get a feel for what the business was like and also for her, as she would spending my wedding morning with me! It was only a 10/15 minute meeting, but I'm glad I did it.

I would recommend visiting then- then maybe following up with an email confirming what has been discussed so you have a written record.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

We've met everyone except the DJ. We didn't meet him because we have to use the venue's DJ, but I will be booking a meeting with him a few weeks before the wedding as we have.some requirements we need to discuss about the music.

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    lavenderblue ·
    • Hide content

I have started communication with most suppliers by email but ended up meeting most of the ones we booked so far- photographer, florist, hair stylist, florist, cake maker.

Not met my MUA yet but I will at my trial in April.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I think we've met all of ours (venue, TOG, cake maker, caterer, chair covers, VOG, HMUA) except for the DJ but I had a good chat with him on the phone and we're not concerned that we haven't met him.

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

We met our caterer, photographer and florist before we booked them. I've known my hairdresser for five years, but I haven't met my make-up artist.

The other key person we haven't yet met is our celebrant - we've done a couple of FaceTimes with her, and are meeting her on Saturday morning.

If you're comfortable with booking them before meeting them, then that's fine!

• R
    Beginner
    RomanticOrangeDecor477 ·
    • Hide content

It depends on the supplier I think ... if they're going to be there on the day then definitely. Otherwise I don't think it matters so much.

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys, you've put my mind at rest. I have chatted to all our suppliers over the phone so I'm sure I will like them in person but with people mentioning all the appointments they have lined up, I was wondering if I was going wrong...! I just don't have enough time to meet with several suppliers and I am such a ditherer anyway, I think I'm better off just picking one and booking them before I have time to change my mind!

• Anna Zofka Photography
    Anna Zofka Photography ·
    • Hide content

I would definitely recommend meeting with your photographer and videographer (if you're having one) - they will be with you for pretty much the whole day so it helps to find someone you like.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics