Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lc93
Beginner September 2016

Meeting with the vicar this evening!

lc93, 19 of March of 2014 at 12:31 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi all, we have our meeting with the vicar at the church we want to marry in this evening. I'm quite nervous!!!

Could anyone who's done this already maybe advise what you think I should be wearing and what sort of questions we could expect? We dont live in the parish but have strong family ties to the church so think we can justify it, I just would feel a bit better knowing roughly what to expect.

4 replies

Latest activity by cymruangel, 20 of March of 2014 at 17:46
  • J
    Beginner April 2014
    julie26.04.14 ·
    • Hide content

I went to our meeting straight from work, so just wore black trousers, blouse and company fleece, be comfortable the vicar will be more interested in you than what you are wearing.

We don't live in the parish where we are marrying but my parents do and I have very strong connections to the church that we are using so was able to convince the vicar that this was right for us. My H2b agreed didn't care where we married but it was important to me and he told the vicar so!

We were questioned about our commitment to each other, our religious beliefs, how our parents fit into our relationship and what we want for our future.

Our vicar was disorganised though, we'd already had forms to complete about what we wanted within our ceremony in terms of hymns, readings and vows and he'd lost them, fortunately i'd photocopied them first.

It'll be fine, the strange thing for us was hearing the vicar talking about the importance of sex in a relationship when going through what was meant by our reading. Corinthians 13 verses 1 -8.

Good luck

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

First of all, stay calm! Vicars are regular people, and they're not going to be critiquing you head to toe!

Weddings in church are considered a good thing, as they potentially bring new families to the community. They will be pleased to welcome back someone with family ties to the church.

Things you may be asked:

- Your religious beliefs: you do NOT need to be a practising CoE member to get married in a parish church. However, since you want to get married in a religious building, you may well be asked about whether you believe in God - the assumption being that you do!

- Why this church in particular: you will be asked to explain both the connection and your reason for choosing that church over one closer to where you live. It's not a "right answer" kind of question, after all they wouldn't have slackened the rules if they didn't want to allow things, but they have to ask!

- Legal stuff: date you want to get married (they will tell you what time limits it has to be within), your address(es), occupations, father's occupations etc. You'll probably only get this far if you all decide to go ahead.

... and that's about it on the formal stuff really. You probably won't go into readings etc, or any of the marriage prep stuff (your relationship/ sex/ money/ kids) or details of readings or hymns, unless your wedding date is very close - I assume from the tone of your original post that this is just a first exploratory "can we get married here?" type chat?

The vicar may ask how you met, or why the significance of a particular date etc, but that's just normal human curiosity! We ended up having tea and chocolate biscuits and a right old natter, including recommendations on local reception venues with ours.

As to what to wear, don't feel you have to go in your Sunday best. Obviously thigh high splits/ boob tubes are probably a bad idea, but you won't be chucked out for wearing everyday clothes. Our first meeting was last summer, so I happened to be wearing a summer dress, but it was a casual one - were I going today, I'd probably wear jeans and a jumper.

• J
    Beginner April 2014
    julie26.04.14 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Louise,

Just wondering how you got on last night?

Hope it all went well. Julie

• lc93
    Beginner September 2016
    lc93 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! It was all find, he didn't actually ask us any questions at all (which I thought was a bit odd!) Just had a chat so he could get a feel for us as a couple and filled out some forms to book the date.

So it's official! 10 September 2016 at 1pm (ish!) I will be walking down the aisle to get married!!!!!!

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

So pleased to hear it went well, and you've got your church of first choice. Have fun wedding planning!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics