Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

chloe24
Beginner June 2014

Mens wedding rings...tungsten carbide?

chloe24, 14 of February of 2014 at 11:13 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi,

bit of a long story but my oh is meant to be using a ring we had made on holiday a few years ago as his wedding ring, I wanted to buy him a new one but I'm now a fulltime student with no wage so don't have much money Smiley sad but don't like the fact he isn't going to have a new ring for a wedding ring - he says he's not that bothered.

he wants yellow gold, and he did originally want a claddagh ring (he has Irish blood) but he is a tree surgeon so his hands are very rough and worried gold may scratch easily.

I've seen a yellow gold claddagh ring which is also made of tungsten carbide, does anyone know much about this metal? Is it hard to scratch ect? Iv read different stuff on the net.

X

5 replies

Latest activity by Holey, 14 of February of 2014 at 21:26
  • S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

My husband has tungsten carbide. It is very strong - they make drill bits out of it

Our wedding bands are pictured the page via the link at the bottom. Mine is claddagh and his is tungsten carbide. Do you know whether it is gold coloured right the way through or gold-plated? I ask because his is such a dark grey. You may find it scratches is it's gold plated.

http://www.emmahillierphotography.com/siobhan-and-andys-wedding-at-the-grange-thornton-hough-previews-merseyside-wedding-photography/

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

My husband has tungsten carbide. It is very strong - they make drill bits out of it

Our wedding bands are pictured the page via the link at the bottom. Mine is claddagh and his is tungsten carbide. Do you know whether it is gold coloured right the way through or gold-plated? I ask because his is such a dark grey. You may find it scratches is it's gold plated.

http://www.emmahillierphotography.com/siobhan-and-andys-wedding-at-the-grange-thornton-hough-previews-merseyside-wedding-photography/

• chloe24
    Beginner June 2014
    chloe24 ·
    • Hide content

Thank u Smiley smile The ring iv found I think it's gold plated so I'm worried about it scratching but he def wants yellow gold :-/

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HellsBells42 ·
    • Hide content

I too have a very manual labour intensive job so I've got my wedding ring made out of tungsten carbide. I think the best way to sum up its toughness is by the fact that if you want it decorated, you can't get it engraved but have to have it laser etched!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I think I was told that tungsten is so hard wearing that if your finger swells they can't cut the ring off. Might be worth bearing in mind (or checking if it's true!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics