Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ATB
Beginner August 2014

Menu - main course suggestions?

ATB, 13 of February of 2014 at 15:39 Posted on Planning 0 23

I'm meeting my caterer this weekend (I'll be telling him I agree to the skeletor chairs ?) and I need some ideas for main courses.

We aren't having a starter, just canapes. For pudding we are having a choice of individual strawberry pavlova or Choclate torte. In the evening cheese and biscuits. I only have one set of guests so no more in the evening (you're either in or you're out!)

As far as mains go I've got down 'Salmon of some sort'. But I'm stuck with what other choices to have, ideally two meat and a vegetarian.

Help please!

23 replies

Latest activity by mooshy, 14 of February of 2014 at 17:45
  • sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Beef bourguignon?

A huge joint of honey roast ham?

Pulled pork?

Chicken and Leek pie?

Moroccan chicken?

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Not a clue about veggie - sorry.

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Buttered boiled pots can be served with all these and salad leaves/veggies/cous cous/roasted veggies?

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We've chosen a caremalised onion tart as our veggie dish, other 2 options are a chicken dish and a steak & ale pie with veg etc.

I'd be happy with any veggie option like macaroni & cheese, feta spinach & potato pie, veggie lasagne (we were going to have that but didn't want to reek out evening guests with our garlic breath) & I had lovely cheese ravioli at my brothers wedding.

I'd say something chicken would probably please a lot. Lasagne, a beef dish , haggis dish? The salmon option on ours was "seared salmon, bubble and squeak potato cake, poached bok choi and arran mustard cream" ..I can't say I have the slightest clue what any of that is but the name made me laugh. Absolutely no help with meat dishes sorry ?

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I'd go with chicken of some kind mainly because most people will eat it and possibly beef or lamb. No idea on the veggie dish sorry x

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Total opposite to you *MM3*. Your salmon sounds lovely :-)

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

As much as I hate to see chicken as the only option on a wedding breakfast, I think it'd be sensible to have it as an option with a plain-ish sauce for those pesky fussy eaters. I love to see beef on a menu, but it's difficult to please everyone with how well cooked it should be.

One of my favourite meals at a wedding has been bangers and mash, followed by apple crumble and custard. Proper hearty food to set you up for an evening of drinking.

My veggie SIL always complains when the veggie option is stuffed pepper, or quiche, as these seem to be the go-to choice for veggie options, as if not much thought has gone into it. Risotto?

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Yep - as a veggie, please no stuffed peppers (or, as I had at a wedding, stuffed aubergine!)

• Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

We had orkney salmon in a creamy sauce (cant remember what it was called), Roast beef and yorkshire pudding, chicken balmoral.

We cheated and didnt have a veggie option as we didnt know for a fact anyone was a veggie, but the hotel were cool and had said they would sort something if anyone did ask. (a couple did, oops!)

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

In layman's terms, our veggie option was ratatouille, served with creme fraiche, pea and bean mash and rosemary flatbread.

Meateaters had lamb, rumbledethumps, carrots and greens.

Dressed the descriptions up for our menu though ?

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mrsbrown, I'm Intrigued- what are rumbledethumps???

• S
    Beginner May 2014
    Sazzle85 ·
    • Hide content

Although chicken is quite predictable...it's a safe bet as most people will eat it! People can be fussy when it comes to beef or lamb. We have gone for a leek and goats cheese tart for our veggies...but we also have a vegan attending our wedding so went with the stuffed pepper for them! Lol

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

I would probably go for a chicken dish too, for the fussy ones! How about chicken stuffed with mozerella wrapped in parma ham? For a meat dish maybe Lamb shanks or Beef Wellington? Not sure for the veggie option though, maybe vegetable bake?

• NYCBride
    Beginner September 2014
    NYCBride ·
    • Hide content

For the veggies, something like a mushroom risotto would be lovely and would set people up for the evening x

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

For the mains we're having beef, lamb, tuna or veggie risotto. We figured there'd be something to please everyone.

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

These are our options:

Breast of Chicken wrapped in bacon with white onion stuffing and red wine sauce

or
    Fillet of Beef with fondant potato, roast vegetables & red wine jus

or
    Wild Mushroom Mille Feuille (v)

I'm only having 25 guests though - I've had most of the RSVPs and the five vegetarians plus one meat eater have chosen the mushrooms, two have gone for the chicken (one being a 6 year old, one being my sister the MoH!) and the rest are all having beef. Which is typical as it's the most expensive one!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic - thank you all for your suggestions that's been a great help!

I think I only have one vegetarian coming, was going to just ask her what she wanted then have just that one meal, but it gives others who aren't veggie and may fancy that the option as I do that sometimes (especially if other option is fish!)

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Our veggie option is spinach and ricotta tortellini. Which I want too, but red sauce and white dress.... thinking that's not going to end up well.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You need a bridal bib!

• H
    Beginner May 2015
    Hotchilli999 ·
    • Hide content

I'd be happy with any meat or fish tbh Smiley smile

On picking my menu I found the veggie dish the toughest, as I am not one (may have guessed!) so I asked my friend who is a veggie and is coming to the day to have a look at the options we were given and pick what she would like the most (all the veggie dishes are the same price so cost wasn't a factor). I have gone with what she picked (can't remember what it is now but I think it's like a mushroom/vegetable rissotto thingy) - are you able to do that if you're struggling for an option?

She also told me not to pick stuffed peppers/aubergenes as that seems to be what every veggie gets given, hence why I let her pick Smiley smile

Not much help really but thought I'd pass on what I will be doing Smiley smile

Good luck!!

• Jaysmonkey
    Beginner August 2014
    Jaysmonkey ·
    • Hide content

I'd advise a vegetarian dish that isn't smothered in cheese.

I'm vegan now, but when I was vegetarian I found for the most part my option was always a cheese covered something and it was just too much.

I think a risotto ?, we're considering a vegan butternut squash and button mushroom risotto ourselves!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh noooooooooo, please smother in cheese.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh noooooooooo, please smother in cheese.

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

I'm surprised that there have been a few 'no stuffed peppers' comments, I've never been offered them as the safe veggie option which is a shame as I love stuffed peppers. I find that I'm always given spinach and ricotta dishes so it's become a bit boring and if I have a choice I avoid those.

I'm not a fan of things smothered in cheese unless it's mozzarella or something equally yummy and creamy, I'm disturbed by anything smothered in cheddar and melted into a gloopy skin ?.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics