Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner December 2015

Menu Planning Tips and Kids meals

winterwedding121215, 17 of June of 2015 at 20:42 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi

We are meeting at the venue next week to finalise our menus and drinks, so any questions I should ask would be appreciated!

Also unsure what to do about the kids meals. The venue said a kid is classed as 3- 11 and they can either have a 'kids meal' (assume like chicken nuggets or something) or 2 course miniature of what we having or a 3 course miniature of what we having. I think we have about 8 kids that fall into the 3-11 but most around 5 yrs. I don't have any kids so is it unreasonable to get them 2 courses if we having 3? but I fell 3 courses is excessive for them?

We also have about 4 under 3's coming like 1 yr olds.. do their parents just bring food?

Thanks in advance!

9 replies

Latest activity by jayannfernandez, 19 of June of 2015 at 04:40
  • AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

Re kids meal, I would maybe ask a few parents for their opinion. How sophisticated is your wedding breakfast and is it table service? I've been around friends young children, about 5 years, and they can never finish a dish and tend to like yellow food, a miniature wedding breakfast will be wasted on them. For older children of 11 years of old, they can probably handle a miniature wedding breakfast, I would be inclined to go for 3 courses as it would look a bit odd if they have empty plates for one course (it would prob be the starter thats omittted if it 2 courses, the first course, cue looks of confused looks around the table).

1 year olds wont be on solids, I would expect parents to bring food along though if you are concerned you can always send a quick message advising them to do so.

HTH.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

What would the 2 courses be? Starter and main or main and desert?

My only concern with only having 2 is the quickest way to silence a child is to give them food. So having them not eating while the parents are wont be 'great'.

On the note of meals I personally prefer the kids having a mini version of mine but that's only as my 2 would rather have a plate of veg than a plate of chips. Weirdo's. Lol

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    SunnyBrownDiamonds138 ·
    • Hide content

Deepens on the kids in my experience, my 5 yr old niece eats hardly anything, a friends 14 month old will eat bucket loads!! My 17 year old nieces don't want what we are having either so I have ordered them adult size kids meals!!

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Oh on the note of the 1 year old, I have a very nearly 1 year old. All 1 year olds will be on solids, she eats as much as my 2 1/2 year old! Mine havent been on purées since 5-6 months.

As a mum I would ask the bride beforehand what the plan was so I could bring stuff if needed. At her age she can have bits off my plate. One normal kids portion is perfect split between my 2 (if that makes sense). I went to a wedding last year where my then 16 month old had a massive meal. When the bride told me it was £33 I wish she'd told me as I would have told her not to worry as he could have shared mine / his dad's.

Best thing for the under 5's is to ask the parents. They vary so much! Some little ones eat very little and some are complete pigs (mine!) lol :-)

• missmoore
    Beginner January 2012
    missmoore ·
    • Hide content

My 1 year old is on solids..I think most are from around 9/10 months?! He doesn't eat much though. If I was attending a weddding with him I'd be happy to share mine and his dad's with him or you could ask the venue o make up a little lunch pack of sandwiches, crisps and some fruit for the little ones? I have a 6 year old niece and she also doesn't eat a lot and takes ages to eat, could you bring their main out whilst you have your starter so they have that straight away then dessert when you have yours?

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Missmoores idea about bringing their main out with your starter is spot on.

Most kids take AN AGE to eat! Lol. :-)

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

It's best to check with the parents for both the babies and the older children. There can be a big difference between what a 1 year old eats and a 2.5 year old. My son has always had a good appetite so at age 1 it would probably have been ok for him to pick from my plate (plus I'd bring supplies as back up anyway), but if he didn't get a meal at almost 3 I'd be in trouble! They're all so different though it's just best to check if you're not sure.

For the older kids, my son would be perfectly happy with a smaller adult meal, but I know loads of kids who will only eat what AK has brilliantly described as 'yellow' food ?. Having said that, we have so many children coming to our wedding we're doing away with all the faff of checking with parents and just giving them all chicken nuggets. We're doing 3 courses for them (our kids starter is garlic bread) because its better to give them something rather than having them moaning throughout a course. Plus by the time they sit down for dinner they will probably be quite hungry, so its a bit harsh to give all the adults their starter and nothing for the kids (I'm assuming it would be the starter they wouldn't get, rather than the pudding - don't do that unless you want a full on mutiny on your hands!).

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

As part of the package we’ve booked with our venue all the kids have to have the same so we’re going for the ‘safe’ option of chicken nuggets, chips and beans with a desert of donuts and chocolate sauce (the desert choice was fruit, ice cream or donuts – we’re having a vintage ice cream cart as part of the drinks reception so think two lots of ice cream – even for kids – will be too much of a good thing!). It did note on our paperwork that the kid’s main meal is served with the adult’s starters – as others have said I think this is because more often than not kids taken longer to eat than adults. Rather than adding extra stress for yourself I’d be tempted to give all the kids (aged 3 – 11) a typical ‘kids’ meal - I’m sure they’ll be more interested in running off to play than finishing their meal anyway! My Godson is 2 and he will definitely be getting a kids meal as he eats more than my 8 year old godson! If it was me – I’d give anyone who was on ‘solids’ a kids meal – anyone younger than that I’d ask the parents directly.

• W
    Beginner December 2015
    winterwedding121215 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your responses! As predicted it always depends on each kid I guess! I'll talk to the venue next week but I think ill go for 'kids' food for the 3-11's either 3 courses or main with the starters. Then I guess ill have to message the babies parents and see what they say , most of them are the younger siblings of the other kids. The oldest under3 is just under 2 so hopefully should be ok with parents food etc.

Thanks!

• jayannfernandez
    jayannfernandez ·
    • Hide content

Since there are only a few kids in that range, best to ask their parents or well as kids, they prefer a simple meal. they don't seem to eat a lot especially when they are surrounded by fellow playmates Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics