Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Curious August 2022 Surrey

Menu selections before tasting? Is that weird?

Sara, 25 of April of 2022 at 12:05 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hello there!

Our wedding is at the end of August, we are having a tasting on 13 May. I thought this would be for us to try the food we want to give our guests and confirm it with them, but the planner is asking us for our confirmed selections before we've had the tasting. Is that weird or is it some standard practice? It seems wrong to me.

Thanks

Sara

7 replies

Latest activity by Sara, 25 of April of 2022 at 13:51
  • N
    Dedicated May 2022 Somerset
    Nathalie ·
    • Hide content
    I think this is fairly standard, it’s certainly the way it’s worked for us and friends who’ve got married over the last few years. Usually get a meat and a vegetarian option, and a couple of desserts, plus wine. If you’re not gone on anything when you taste
  • N
    Dedicated May 2022 Somerset
    Nathalie ·
    • Hide content
    Oops hit reply by accident! Was going to say if there’s anything you don’t like you then have the option to change, but I don’t know if you get to taste other dishes if you weren’t happy with your selection, that may depend on the caterer
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in July and our menu tasting is 27th May, we have been told we can choose three courses each so 6 dishes in total. Then they said they would cater for dietary requirements as well. Some of the options on the menu are fish which I am allergic to anyway so we wouldn’t bother tasting those anyway.
    I would expect them to narrow it down I suppose as if they provided a taste of every single dish it would get quite wasteful.
  • Sarah
    Dedicated October 2022 Swansea
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Hi - yes this is pretty standard. Recently had mine, and it was the same format. We had looked at the full list they provide and then about a month before we sent our preferred choice of 3 starters, mains and desserts along with any dietary requirements to be mindful of in advance. At the tasting event they prepare your sample menu and in our case we had 2 of each dish presented for 6 guests to all try a bit and also photograph presentation. We then had a follow-up meeting a week after to give feedback on presentation, discuss any other suggestions to the meals, and to confirm those are still the final choices we want. We have found they have been really accommodating to any feedback afterwards to make sure it's right for us, I'd expect most places would be very happy to take on board any suggestions/changes - hope that helps!

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hmm, I should have been more clear! We've been asked to choose a dish each for our tasting, so OH is going beef and I'm going chicken. My thinking was, we will decide which one we go with based on the tasting. But now the planner wants us to choose which we want for all our guests (except veggie and vegan) before we even have the tasting. Does that make sense? From what I'm gathering a lot of your venues are providing much more choice! X
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    To me that doesn’t make sense as surely you should taste some food before making any decision on menu!
    We have been asked to choose one each for a starter, main and dessert as you have said then I understood that whatever we like best we would choose the three courses.
    So yes that seems a bit strange and I would clarify with them as sounds like no point having a tasting otherwise. Good luck
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I agree! Thank you so much. I need the luck I think! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics