Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner August 2017

Menu tasting

vgbride, 1 of March of 2017 at 19:50 Posted on Planning 0 3

We have our menu tasting coming up soon. Our caterers have emailed us to ask to pick just one starter, one main and one dessert. Having not done this before I didn't know what to expect as I had assumed we would choose one option each and then get to try both to pick which we liked the most. Having only one option for each is making it hard to make a decision and feel we cannot make this decision without trying more than one dish - have others been in this situation? How have others decided on menu options?

X x

3 replies

Latest activity by vgbride, 2 of March of 2017 at 17:01
  • 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Are you sure it's not one each? I would have thought that would be better as then you can taste each others and make a more informed decision! Not much point in having a 'menu tasting' if you don't get to 'taste' different things, is there?!

Our venue doesn't do 'tastings' as such, and we have already chosen our menus based on their descriptions, but they suggested that we book for their Mothers Day Lunch so we can sample the cooking and quality of the food at least- and of course, they get to make even more money out of us that way! My OH and I are going to take my Mum as we'd have gone out for lunch or dinner anyway, and we are all planning to choose different things so we get to taste as much as possible.

I think in your position I'd be tempted to speak to the caterers and ask if you've misunderstood as it really doesn't seem like a 'menu tasting' if you only get to try one starter, one main and one dessert!

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content

Our caterers didn't give us a tasting option - we just had to decide based on the list of options they provided. But we were on a budget so just had to go for the cheapest option anyway! I would have thought it was pretty pointless having a 'tasting' if you're only going to get to try one thing for each course. I would definitely check that with them before you go. Do you have to pay for this, or does it come as part of the package?

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

For us, we chose the menu we thought we wanted and then tasted it to make sure. That may be why you're only trying one option? I agree it would have made more sense to try one each though.

If we didn't like it, I think we could have gone back for other tastings with different menus, but we liked what we chose first time so it never got to that stage, so no advice there I'm afraid.

• V
    Beginner August 2017
    vgbride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all! Spoke with them today and they are going to let us try 2 mains Smiley smile

x x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics