Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner October 2011

Menu tasting - is this unreasonable?

englishrosebride, 18 of May of 2011 at 12:32 Posted on Planning 0 24

Initially when we contacted our venue their literature stated we could get external caterers in. This has now changed and we must use their in house chef. This isn't an issue and we're slightly relieved it's one less decision.

However, we've just asked about a menu tasting session and have been quoted quite a large fee...

£100 fixed cost to get the chef in
+ £38 per person for the food
+ VAT @ 20%
that's £328 for dinner for 5 (us, my parent and my sis - who is MOH).

We did expect to pay a bit as we're taking quite a few people with us but this seems a lot. Is this an unreasonable amount? We don't want to risk bad food by not having a tasting but this seems a huge amount for Sunday lunch.

What do you all think? We don't know what to do next.

24 replies

Latest activity by SaSaSi, 19 of May of 2011 at 13:18
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Considering ours is included in the price of hiering thats robbery!

• 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

Tbh my menu tasting was £65 and that was for 2 people (but my parents came too to try a mouthfull of ours) having 3 courses. It didnt include any drinks. Most places are free though

• Dollyrockerz
    Beginner October 2011
    Dollyrockerz ·
    • Hide content

Our tasting is included but the venue does have a 'on site' chef so it's not like they would have to come in especially.

I would hjave expected to pay the wedding breakfast per head cost if there was a charge, the £100 is unreasonable since they won't let you use any other chef/caterer, I'd ask them to reconsider

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    Mrs Poon ·
    • Hide content

That does sonud quite high. We were given a list of reccomended caterers for our vehicle and told we had to use one on the list.

We had already decided the main course we wanted which was east end pie & mash with liquor (yummy) but had to find a caterer on their list that could acheieve this. Luck for us we found her on the second phone call I made. When we went for the 1st tasting session she never charged us and then we went back a couple of months later as we wanted to re-test the starter again as she did it a bit different to how we asked and again there was no charge.

Personally and it's only my thought I don't think venues / caterers should charge for tasting as at the end of it they are more than likely going to get a booking and we all know they don't come cheap either x

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Absofrigginloutly! I would have something to say at those prices. We are having menu tasting this Friday its costing £35 a head and I thought that was a cheek!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Ours was free for 2 people and £25 per head if we wanted to ask extra people so IMO, yes, that price is unreasonable!

• S
    Beginner June 2012
    soon-to-be-Mrs-King ·
    • Hide content

I agree with what the other girls have said, it sounds like a bit of a rip off especially if you've already booked to have your reception venue there.

My venue have been very flexible with me as we have to use their in house caterers but I want a part Caribbean menu, they have found a chef that can make Caribbean food and have offered me a food tasting at no extra charge.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Have you signed a contract and paid a deposit at your venue without knowing about this charge? Surely this sort of thing is discussed at the very beginning?

I wouldn't have been happy paying for a tasting when I was going to spend so much money with them on the day. Absolutely not. Had our venue not included the tasting(s) as standard, we've have asked them do so, unless it was somewhere we'd eaten at before.

If you're stuck with the charge, just go as a couple. Too many cooks...

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Completely unreasonable! I would refer them back to the agreement when you booked - that you could hire your own caterers. Tell them that was a major draw for you as you would be able to control prices. Say that you are happy to use their caterers but that you do not expect to pay through the nose for the priviledge when that wasn't the situation when you booked.

• lauren700
    Beginner
    lauren700 ·
    • Hide content

Our was completely free but only for the two of us

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

HOW MUCH??!! Stupid amount! Completely unreasonable! Daylight robbery!

Check your contract, if it's written in that you find your own caterers then I'd argue the point and find someone else (or at least say that until they give you a free menu tasting). They can't move the goalposts like that. Do you know what they'll be charging on the day?

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

That is more than a tad steep!!! My venue charges half the wedding breakfast price for tastings which works out about £25 each - about what you would expect to pay if you ate out at a reasonable restaurant in the area. For that you get to try two or three different choices for each course so I don't think £25 a head is unreasonable. I think what you are being charged is extortionate!

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

That's ridiculous! We had a choice of three caterers, and got a free tasting with each one! Considering the amount catering costs for the average wedding I think a couple of free meals is reasonable. They're taking the biscuit x

• S
    Beginner June 2011
    Salari ·
    • Hide content

Ours was included in the price - but if we had wanted to bring extra people, it was £40 a head.

I think you bill is a bit steep!!! might have to pay it though, if you want to taste the food...

• Peachblossom
    Beginner March 2012
    Peachblossom ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £20 per head for 3 course plus wine tasting. I tried to get them to include it free considering what we're paying, but they weren't gonna budge on that. Although we have eaten there before so are only going to try some possible menu choices. I think what they're asking you for is ridiculous, especially considering they won't give you the option of choosing your own caterers.

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is doing it free, we are just having 1 being cooked though of each course and we'll dip in and share.

I'd say that was outrageous!! the £20 etc that have been mentioned are good.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

That is outrageous. Ours was free, for 4 of us (myself and H2B along with my mum and dad) and the guy serving us was shocked we hadn't brought more people! And we could eat as much as we liked Smiley smile

• E
    Beginner October 2011
    englishrosebride ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like we've been had a bit. Think we need to go back to them and hope we don't rock the boat!

One of the main reasons we picked the place we did was because their food (when we found out it was their own chef not an external caterer) was very reasonably price.

It's starting to feel like we're unearthing all sorts of hidden costs. Next step we're going to try and find out if there is anything else hidden away.

Thanks all!

• mrsgreatbatch2b
    Beginner July 2012
    mrsgreatbatch2b ·
    • Hide content

That is very unreasonable in my eyes. It's their choice that has now changed your plans so it should be included at least for you and your OH.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

We paid £10pp the first time for a 3 course meal with canapes and free water. The second time was £15pp, as they served beef instead of chicken. Probably cost price. However, we did know about this when we booked our venue.

• Lauren25
    Beginner July 2011
    Lauren25 ·
    • Hide content

Our was included for the Bride and Groom, if anyone else wanted to go they had to pay. Just the 2 of us went as it was easier to make decisions on the food. I think your venue is being very greedy taking that amount from you.

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

£328 is far too much. Far far farrrrr too much. Unless it's the Ritz...

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

I would be asking how they justify the £100 chef cost firstly. If he is their in-house chef, he is on an annual salary. If they need to pay him to come in then he is not an in- house chef at all.

With regards to the actual food for the tasting, why are they not charging you at cost? which is normal procedure. They are trying to make a profit out of you trying your food for your wedding for which they are going to be paid a substantial sum already.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Daylight robbery - totally ridiculous. The sad thing is they know your wedding is booked, 'think' your cornered & seem to be sticking the arm in.

I'd write an email to them & be firm on it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics