Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner April 2014

menu tasting... when should it be done?

Gumibear85, 7 of April of 2013 at 09:24 Posted on Planning 0 7

Something that was big on my list was having a nice menu for the wedding breakfast. I want my guests to be able to have a choice of what they eat.

So I need to (at some point) go to my venue and do a bunch of menu tasting.

But I'm not sure when is a sensible time to do this?

My wedding isn't until April next year, so I still have plenty of time... so I'm torn between doing it now and getting it all sorted or waiting and doing it later on in the year.

Basically I'm just excited and want to start doing everything... but I also want to enjoy it all and have planning things to look forward to haha

So ladies... what do you think?

7 replies

Latest activity by Jennifer, 4 of January of 2024 at 16:42
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Nearer the time!! (We get hitched September this year and we are still to do our tasting/select a menu.

Menus can change with the seasons, chefs can come and go so there is no real value having it early.

Obviously you need to have it and allow yourself time if you need to have your menus/invites printed if you offering a choice.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Our venue has set dates for tastings and anything outside those dates would be charged. Does your venue do this? It might be an idea to check if you're not sure.

Another thing to consider is that many caterers or restaurants change their menus with the season and from year to year, so if you might have to wait for them to have the season's menu set. For us, our wedding is in late June and we were invited for a tasting in early March - 3.5 months before the wedding.

• G
    Beginner April 2014
    Gumibear85 ·
    • Hide content

No my venue doesn't charge extra and my wedding planner at the venue has already mentioned several times that we need to go in and do this... hence why I've asked the question here...

It does seem a little early to do it now but it was only because she keeps mentioning it that i wondered when everyone else is doing it :-)

• M
    Beginner April 2011
    mrsrh* ·
    • Hide content

If you're not getting married until next April, i think i'd wait until Jan/Feb time. Our venue didn't need numbers in for ordering the stock for our wedding breakfast until 2 weeks before our big day, and like another person has said, menu's & chef's will/can change between now & then.

• D
    Beginner October 2014
    dollydimple88 ·
    • Hide content

Is the menu set or is it likely to change?

My wedding breakfast menu choices are set out in the brochure with no changes planned although we don't get married until October 2014 so plenty of time. If I were you, I'd wait a little longer. Do you need menu options to go out on invites/RSVPs? X

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I dont know why they'd want you to go menu tasting with 12mths to go, unless they only serve the same menu month to month, year to year! Something I'd be concerned about.

Have you asked the wedding planner WHY they want you to go tasting now? We went 3-4 weeks before our wedding for ours.

Here is a link to help work out whats in season during April, if you really must do the tasting now:

http://www.eattheseasons.co.uk/index.php

• K
    Beginner June 2013
    kittykatkat ·
    • Hide content

We're having ours about 4 weeks before wedding. Like others have said, menu's and chef's come and go - there's no point going to a tasting now if there will be a new chef/menu by the time your wedding is due. Don't know if your wedding co-ordinator has mentioned anything, but we were also told that we can only have our tasting during lunch time, as they are too busy in the evenings. xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics