Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ohwhatatuesday
Beginner May 2014

'Meshing'/mixing surnames

Ohwhatatuesday, 17 of May of 2013 at 22:45 Posted on Planning 0 39

Ok so bit of strange post, not any real point to it other than curiosity, but I was watching TV tonight and I saw Alan Carr introduce Dawn O'Porter I was pretty sure her name was Dawn Porter, so I googled it and found this lovely article from the sun:

/

Apparently she was Dawn Porter, but changed it to Dawn O'Porter, when she and Chris O'Dowd met (apologies if this is old news to some - I hadn't read about it before). According to the Sun article it's part of a new trend of 'meshing' two surnames to keep a bit of yours and a bit of your partners. This made me giggle because any of the combinations of mine and my OH's surnames sound ludicrous, however hard I try. But I found it interesting because I'm not entirely sure about changing my name and quite like seeing the other options out there.

As it's meant to be the new trend, i'd never heard of it but just wondered whether others have done it/thinking of doing it or thoughts on it? I've heard of double-barrelled surnames and obviously keeping your own is becoming more common, but not combining the two, maybe I've been living under a rock?

39 replies

Latest activity by mooshy, 22 of June of 2013 at 12:13
  • Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

This is something that OH and I considered doing, until we realised that the endings of our surnames are so similar it would be pointless (...cer and ....ter)!

I have tried to persuade him to pick a new name together but he isn't keen, even when I suggested Skywalker ?

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Haha! It doesn't work with our surnames at all either! I tried to convince my OH to go for a completely different surname but he's not keen. Still got a year of convincing though...haven't tried suggesting Skywalker, maybe that would work?! ?

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I think the mixing of surnames is the norm is several countries- Iceland for one.

Never considered it for me, as one combination would make me Mrs Minger!

Does the hubby change his name also so you are both the same?

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh dear, that would be unfortunate. But a talking point in future!

I think yes, the idea is that you both take the 'merged' name so it's something new for you both but you each retain a bit of your old name.

I still don't know what I am going to do about my name. I like it, I have grown rather attached to it over the last 25 years!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha! Yes our surnames didn't quite work either - but nothing quite like that! I'd never even heard it before today and was curious to see if it had worked for anyone as many names just don't seem to match! Thought it was amusing trying to come up with the surname mixes if nothing else!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm the same as this, I love my surname and think my name really suits me - plus his surname would give me the same name as a teacher I hated at school....but on the other hand I love the idea of us both having the same name and not sure about double barrell (and as above mixing doesn't work for our names!).

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Meh, a 'semi legitimate' way of getting some Irish in her name.

Also, what a load of pseudo-feminist nonsense from the O'Porter. *** off.

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    Amaranth ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine and her husband blended their surnames; say her name was Bell, his was Lucas, and they became the Belluca family. Not their real names, but you get the idea, anyway. I liked it, but it doesn't work at all with our surnames, so we're just keeping our own and hyphenating them on our kids.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Nope. Wouldn't interest me at all and I can't see a way it would have worked with our names.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I really wanted to do this, but H didn't want to change his at all, which is fair enough. I hated my name enough to be prepared to just change it to his (he wasn't at all fussed what I did with mine) which has meant our son has his name (ours now I suppose). Just a personal opinion but I hate double-barrelled names for kids as you're just passing the decision down a generation, your kids won't be able to do the same as you since they'll already have a double-barrel.

• Miss C soon to be Mrs P
    Beginner April 2014
    Miss C soon to be Mrs P ·
    • Hide content

My future mil read about this and we now joke about us becoming mr & mrs carrott or mr and mrs parroll.

I have no problems taking my htb name probably one of the only traditional things I will be doing at our wedding, but to me a name is a name it's all about the man I am marrying and spending the rest of my life with. It's not going to change me or make me any better or less of a person.

Im with you dreamcatchme on the double barrelling of the surnames as our is ludicrous too!

Have fun deciding

• Y
    Beginner April 2014
    YellowDuckie ·
    • Hide content

I'm looking forward to changing my name but meshing just wouldn't work for ours - it'd either he Hopalong or Longkins! Less excited about having to pay for new passport/driving licence etc. might have to do it a bit at a time!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hopalong would be a great surname!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Loving some of the mixes of names though - hopalong would make a brilliant surname!!!

• EmmaM88
    Beginner July 2014
    EmmaM88 ·
    • Hide content

We wont be as it just does not go

However someone I went to school with when he married his husband they both took each others surname so it was double barreled

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

I haven't heard of this before but our names would actually go really well together if we meshed them, but OH would never ever go for it. He took a while to come around to the idea that I might not want to change my name, now he says he wouldn't mind. I'm not particularly attached to my name, but his name would not suit my name imo. I'm sure it's probably just going to take time for me to get used to a new name after 30 years.

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't really see changing my name as a feminist issue. My Mum changed hers, there's none of her Welsh heritage in there, and we would like a family, so I frame it as changing my name from my Dad's name to my children's name. The only problem is that I already have a forename that people struggle to spell and OH's surname has a number of different ways to spelling it. My Mum and sister both spelled it wrong on his last birthday and we've been together five years and engaged over a year. They are also both names that people often pronounce incorrectly if they see them written down. No one is ever going to pronounce or spell my name correctly again.

My current surname is means 'Son of Daniel' in Irish and we're thinking if we have a son we'll call him Daniel. I think putting the O at the start of his surname would sound ridiculous as it's Scottish.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

With you on this. Can't stand her. What is she even famous for again? (Apart from having a semi-famous husband)

Sorry. I've had a couple of cans of cider and I'm feeling punchy.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

I really wanted us to 'mesh' although I had no idea it was an actual thing. We already mesh for some things, like usernames for shared sites. We also use it to refer to us as a couple. I think it sounds like a real last name - Cobmond. Oh was against changing his name as he thought other people would think he was strange. So, despite saying for two years I wasn't sure about taking his last name, I think I will. I don't mind losing my last name, I just didn't want to have the same name as his sister before she got married (we have the same first name). I'm sure I'll make it more 'me' now she isn't called it anymore.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Unintentionally friends of OH and I have been meshing our names since before we even got engaged, purely because of the amusement value. Both our surnames are quite unique so I won't post here in fear of google stalkers, but basically it works out as another way of saying 'celibate holy men's ejaculate'.

Safe to say we would never do this. I agreed to changing my name under duress, though at work I am still Miss 'Celibate Holy Men'. Nobody can pronounce hubby's surname anyway so we get used to answering to all different names.

O'Porter sounds ridic in my cabbage.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

Monkspunk? PLEASE tell me your name is Monkspunk.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

??

I had a choke on my coke moment there from laughing!

If we meshed ours we'd be a Yilbert or a Gung. Neither of which i'm mega keen on, so we'll be sticking with what we have already I think!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is one of the nicknames!

So so close, but sadly the last bit is perhaps a more Biblical or biological way of saying spunk.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

We half thought about this. The new name would have been Rendall. Which sort of works (Reynolds + Hadall). In the end, I don't think OH was convinced, and was happy for me to keep my name anyway. However, purely because he was happy for me to not change, I did change.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Rendall works quite well! Far better than O'Porter anyway!

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

Love this thread, I love OH very much and his surname is fine, but I feel my name belongs to me and Im sad to give it up and I feel sad for my family that I will be giving it up.

Meshing would vcome out as Mrs Midger.....

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    Frogface ·
    • Hide content

Id love to be Mrs Hopalong!

I am excited to change my name but also a little bit sad that I wont have the same name as my family. I used to hate my surname at school because I would get "roared" at but now that I am away to change it, I actually quite like it.

If we meshed/mixed ours would either be Lyland or Maiton...I am going to miss my name!!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I suppose if we just took two letters from each of our names we could be C*ck.

But I kept my (lovely Old English unusual) surname, despite h and his family not getting it at all.

• missmac13
    Beginner July 2013
    missmac13 ·
    • Hide content

I am seriously considering this I have always been called Laura Mac and although I can't wait to have the same surname as the rest of the family I am feeling mixed emotions about losing the 'mac'.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly how I feel! Glad I'm not alone!

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

This is now becoming a major issue, with 6 weeks to go.

My son wants me to keep (or hyphenate) my maiden name, as he has my maiden name as part of his double-barelled name. That would give the 3 of us 3 different surnames.

If H2B and I are lucky enough to have children they will hyphenate our surnames, that's 4 names in one house.

Stoopid!

I want to appease my son as his dad excludes him so much and he doesn't get to see his half-siblings... I want to do all I can to help him feel like we're a family unit. I have to keep my name, but I wanted to be Mrs [Husband]...

So hard!! Smiley sad

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is so difficult. I asked my teenage girls (17+15) if they would like to change surname. They both decided not to. It's fine but I think they do feel a bit weird about myself being the same as my hubby and my 5 year old and different to them. However as time has gone on its not a big deal. I hope you come to something you are all happy with.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics