Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner

Meze type meals.

SoontobeMrsSSmith, 10 January, 2011 at 12:32 Posted on Planning 0 15

Can I have peoples opinion on this?

Though both myself and my fiance were born in the UK our families are respectively from Serbia and Russia, and over there they have very different food at the weddings and also much, much more food. (and drink!) To be honest our familes would be offended to have just one meal.

Therefore and besides I like this idea, so -

We are planning and have already booked the caterers, we will have a very multi course dinner, that will go on for hours, with gaps in between for dnacing and everything else. You can just go back to your table whenever you wish. It some ways its a bit like a buffett, but our food will be nearer meze / tapas.

And we'll have various platters and plates on each table. Meat (chops / cuts / Handmade susages and burgers), various fish, veggies, different potatos, rice, cuscos, many salads, ham, stuffed vine leves, various pastries, sauces and lots of tradional Serbian and Russian dishes as well and much much more. There will be dozens of dishes.

We'll have a sweet table with sweeties, various cakes, puddings and fruit. Guests will be able to help themselves or ask for a waiter to bring them something.

We are supplying all the drinks, with carafes of vodka and Slivovitz on each table, along with wine and water. Beer and soft drinks will again be available via the waiters.

I am very happyy with this setup, and we'll have a mixture of Serbs / Russians and English, (almost split a third each) at our wedding and this along with the fact that we'll be observing all the fun traditions from all 3 countries along with traditional dances should in my opinion make this a very fun wedding.

The reason I am asking, is that on Friday some of the other mums at the school I was taking to who had asked me about my wedding seemed to think that this was an awful idea. I felt it was almost like a raceist attack with them telling me that people wouldn't like that foriegn food and setup, and I should just have a roast chicken meal.

So what are the hitchers opinions?

15 replies

Latest activity by SoontobeMrsSSmith, 10 January, 2011 at 18:42
  • Rebecca86
    Beginner July 2012
    Rebecca86 ·
    • Hide content

If you and your OH like the way you have planned it then sod everyone else

Sounds amazing to be honest, plenty of choices and something for everyone

Stick to your guns ?

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

I think it sounds fab. My kinda day ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I think it sound absulutely bl00dy delicious. ?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I think its a lovley idea bringing in both yours and OHs traditions and culture! (plus i love food lol)

i think the idea of eating, dancing, drinking, eating, drinking, dancing etc for some people will be a bit out there(perhaps the mums at the school?), as some like to sit down, eat their food, let it settle then dance the night away but each to their own!!

• melissamatthew
    Beginner July 2011
    melissamatthew ·
    • Hide content

I hope the people who don't like that sort of food and think it's "wrong" aren't invited to your wedding!!!! Smiley smile

Sounds delicious to me.

• Z
    Beginner August 2011
    Zobo:) ·
    • Hide content

I was just thinking how lovely that sounded, remember its your day, stuff the other mums lol!

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thinking about your wedding has made me hungry!!! It sounds fab to me. If that is what you & Oh both want then sod what people at the school gate think. This is your wedding, not theirs. Enjoy it! I think you will have a very wonderful, special day.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Stick to your guns, you should have what you want at your wedding and besides I would choose that over a roast chicken meal anyday, from what you have said it seems like you have something for everyone there! Sounds fab to me I think it is great that you are mixing the traditions to make your day special in a personal way to you as a couple, dont go changing it for some closed minded people! x

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all! I'd (we'd!) be sticking to our guns anyway. Its what we want, our weddings are much more excess in terms of eating, drinking and and dancing in comparison to English weddings.

Its worked out very reasonable as costs, and with some of the food its very traditional that some of the women make some of it, I have an auntie who is 94 and coming, she is absolutely insistant that she makes a couple of types of the bread. She won't have it any other way! and she feels honoured to be in a position to do it.

I think everyone will love it, at the childrens christenings we played traditional music and had traditional Serbian and Russian dancing and everyone was getting up and joining in. Our English friends loved it. Its quite formal as in the steps, but otherwise very informal, but its easy to watch, copy and pick up.

Its just such a shame some people are so narrow minded or perhaps conditioned to accept one thing and one thing only.

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

Fabulous, fantastic, yummy........ can I come ?

• N
    Beginner April 2011
    nat2683 ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding that had dancing in between the food courses and we had an amazing time, people really got into the spirit of it!

Also I dont know of any wedding guest who has complained that their hosts treated them to too much food/ drink ?

• M
    Beginner May 2012
    MrsDWT ·
    • Hide content

Its your wedding day, your way. Do exactly what makes you happy and totally screw anyone else's opinions.

i think it sounds lush.

• MrsPenguin
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsPenguin ·
    • Hide content

I would love to do a Meze type meal, but don't think my hotel will do it. I love the idea of great food being served all through the afternoon into the evening and you can help your self to what you want. I feel bad for my guests who will sit down for a three course meal at 4 ish, cake and then buffet not long after. I might ask my hotel to see if they will.

I also love the idea of it meaning something to you and your families, after all, isn't that what it's all about!

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Gabs, I really feel for you, if you want something different to what the hotel wants. I found this very fustrating when I was looking, they want to do everything their set way, for me it made me feel very corporate and not weddingy at all. We are almost back to this narrow minded way of thinking that I mentioned earlier.

It was always a must to us that we have a free bar for our guests, and also that we have genuine Russian Vodka and Serbian Slivovitz or Rakija. Of course most of them didn't do that, and some quoted as much as £200.00 to get a bottle of Vodka in for us, and Slivovitz well that was another world to them. If we paid their bar prices for drinks, there is absolutely no way we could afford it for our guests.

This was largely the reason we then decieded to find our own venue and get in our own caterers, and alcohol. We've brought masses of alcohol, way more than enough and spent under a grand on it. I think we paid about £15 for some exceptional Vodka, in 2 litre bottles direct from the importer and an uncle gave us a contact to buy a bit barrel of Slivovitz at an exceptional price. I've then ordered a big barrel of ale from a local brewers, which gets in the English element of the drink.

We've then got some great caterers, they've totally accomodated us, they are Turkish and Greek and a lot of the food is similar, but they made suggestions and we've also given them family reciepes and they are making everything. They trialled some of it and made it for us to try and its perfect.

Personally I really think I am saving money and actually getting more and getting what we want. Maybe its more work, but its certainyl worth looking into if you want something different.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics