Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2018

Mid August - bad?

SunnyGreenCars840, 1 of June of 2017 at 15:14 Posted on Planning 0 14

So to cut a long story short, we've provisionally booked our wedding for 17th August next year.

However a lot of family are giving input and saying it's a bad time weather-wise, as it's likely to rain that weekend. Our venue has big gardens we were hoping to enjoy. I know you can't guarantee it, but they're saying it'll definitely be bad. I'd never actually wanted a summer wedding in the first place - I'd have preferred May or September, but our venue was limited on dates...

Is this the case? Any August brides out there?

Ive already had family complain about the venue, and the time (we had to go for 12 ceremony, which I'm really worried about as well), and that it's next year not 2019, and I'm so close to just cancelling it all.

14 replies

Latest activity by SunnyBlueDecor836, 20 of July of 2017 at 14:43
  • Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

It's usually fairly sunny in August, I don't think that's your main concern.

I would be apprehensive about a mid-day Wedding in the middle of Summer. Would you be spending all the time outside, or would you be able to take refuge in the (hopefully air conditioned) indoor areas?

I don't see a problem with a 12pm ceremony, we had one and it worked well. I'd just be worried about guests getting too hot if it was all outside.

If you're going to be inside for a lot of it though, go for it Smiley smile you'd be unlucky for it to rain all day, so you could probably still use the outside spaces in that event too Smiley smile

Xx

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    sam4718 ·
    • Hide content

Don't say that, mines the day after yours! You cant control the weather but remember at worst no type of weather lasts all day anyway Smiley smile I've been to one wedding in early August and the weather was lovely, honestly think it's luck of the draw. Best of luck with your planning whatever you decide to do Smiley smile

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Are you in Scotland where it's always bad weather like I am? I would say June, July or August should be ok weather wise, even May can be nice but they do say "Marry in May, rue the day!"

• L
    Beginner March 2018
    LuxuriousPinkCakes651 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure you can ever bank on good weather in the U.K. I think if you prepare for the worst then anything better than that is a bonus. I'm getting married in March so having to think about rain, snow and heat waves! Even if it does rain, it stops at the skin. Just try and have options available for it the worst happens.

• Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

Whaaat? I'm baffled at your family complaining to you about the date and the weather??

They do know that England has a reputation for crummy and unpredictable weather? We're having a summer wedding and tbh I had always planned on a winter wedding, as bad weather in winter is expected! MY sister got married in manchester in feb, and unsurprisingly it was cold and wet. I wasn't too impressed with the date choice, but I didn't say anything to her about it (As it's her wedding her choice!!).

My concern about an august wedding would be the opposite - a midday wedding in the garden could equal sunburn and sunstroke! Then again I burn super quick!!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

If the wedding is outside and it's a hot day you could always provide parasols in your wedding colours and personalised label bottles of water. You can't predict weather in England no matter what day you chose.

• M
    Beginner September 2017
    MrsPtoB ·
    • Hide content

If they can predict weather that far in advance I think they need to take over the official forecasters! ?

People find a reason to moan no matter what. Your day, your choice!

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SunnyGreenCars840 ·
    • Hide content

Yes I'm in Manchester, so definitely not known for it's good weather! They looked at that weekends past weather and apparently it's the time when summer turns and it's mostly rainy...

I was actually hoping to have the ceremony inside regardless (there is an outside option, but seems too stressful to me), it's more for after the ceremony, we wanted a long reception in the gardens, and all the photo ops are outside too.

Definitely agree on finding anything to moan about - we thought we had easygoing families, but so fr they've complained about every little thing!

• A
    Beginner August 2018
    Adc ·
    • Hide content

Hi..I also hope your family is wrong..

Im getting married on rhe the 18th August 2018.. we picked August in the hope for nice weather..

We are hoping to get married outside but if the weather is bad our venue will already be prepared for the ceremony to take place indoors.. Unfortunately this is the UK.. n the weather just does what it wants.. You just have to go with it as there is nothing we can do..

Don't let your family get u down hun.. its your day.. They sound like they just want to moan for moanig sake..

Heres to a fantastic day for all.. no matter the weather

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SunnyGreenCars840 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Adc. I thought I had an easygoing family until this... Think I was just sick of everyone sticking their nose in. Fingers crossed for the weather for both of us then!x

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Eh?! They are talking nonsense and probably have a different motive ie wanting to book a holiday!

No one can predict the weather I'm attending 2 weddings in August just ignore them and say wow is that a magic unicorn ? in your back garden as that's basically the same fiction they are spouting!

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    sam4718 ·
    • Hide content

Finally have a date twin on here! Smiley laugh exciting!

I'm sure mid August will be a brilliant time to get married!

• J
    Beginner September 2018
    JoAndRob2018 ·
    • Hide content

Your family should send some CVs into the MET office with weather forecasting skills like that! ?

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SunnyBlueDecor836 ·
    • Hide content

It's your day and your date choice. Don't worry about them moaning. If it was their day they could choose the date but it's not it's yours.

I hope they're wrong about the weather for you and also for me, I'm getting married a week after you, and would love to make use of the local park right next to the church for some photos.

Are you having Gazebo's in the garden. I went to a BBQ and people used the gazebo on and off for shade and ducked under it for the brief half hour shower that hit. It was still a lovely day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics