Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner April 2023 North Yorkshire

Midweek Wedding

Bethany, 8 of March of 2021 at 16:36 Posted on Planning 0 18
Hi all!
Do many people go with a midweek wedding? I know that it’s generally much cheaper to marry during the week than on weekends but I worry people won’t be able to attend because of work/life commitments.
Does anyone have any experience with this, good or bad?
Thanks x

18 replies

Latest activity by RomanticBlueHair33815, 30 of June of 2021 at 21:56
  • Kept
    Savvy November 2020 Devon
    Kept ·
    • Hide content

Hi Bethany,

Usually couples try to keep the wedding dates as close to the weekend as possible. So either a Thursday or Friday as guests are more likely to take, or have the next day off. There's no issue with having a midweek wedding, the people that want to be there will be there if they can. There might be limitations with people taking more than one day off, or taking days off towards the beginning of the week.

If you are able to give enough warning, people should be able to arrange time off work if required. One thing to think about is if guests can't take more than one day off, they might feel like they can't let their hair down because of work the next day.

With love,

Laura x

Kept Weddings

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

We got married on a Thursday, but didn't have a large wedding and most of our guests were either retired or self employed, so a midweek wedding wasn't an issue for them. It tends to be easier to book venues & suppliers midweek (might be a factor over the next couple of years if the wedding industry is busy dealing with the covid backlog) and also a bit cheaper. Our photographer was about £300 cheaper Tue-Thur than Fri-Mon!

You really need to look at your list of 'must have' guests and work out what will be best for them. For example, my job is very seasonal and a weekend wedding in May would actually be harder for me to attend than a midweek one in October - in fact, I had to miss one family wedding because they had it over Easter weekend and I couldn't get the time off work.

• R
    Beginner May 2021
    RomanticPurpleBridesmaid37365 ·
    • Hide content
    Hey, we have just had to move our Saturday May wedding to a Wednesday August wedding (in the hope of more than 30 guests). We had no chance of getting a Saturday (or even a Thursday or Friday) so really had no choice.

Anyway, I was the same as you totally worried about having to ask people to take time off, worried about the vibe not being as good and honestly all my family and close friend literally couldn’t care less. They have all been so lovely about it and booked the time off straight away.
    People have abroad weddings which is asking a lot more so I honestly wouldn’t worry. It also makes accommodation for your guests cheaper too!
    Good luck!
  • R
    Beginner May 2021
    RomanticPurpleBridesmaid37365 ·
    • Hide content
    Sorry should have added - a couple of my bridesmaids had both been to midweek weddings and I’ve been to a Friday and we all said they feel just the same as weekend weddings. The people who you really want there will be there no matter what xx
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    Personally, I’ve never been to a midweek wedding. Two of my friends had midweek weddings that I couldn’t attend (key business meetings) not eve for the evening because they got married outside of London. One was a teacher with mainly teacher friends so a midweek wedding in the summer made sense(cheaper and most had no issue).
    The other did for cost reasons (valentines fell on a midweek).
    I was sad I couldn’t go but both understood and I gave plenty of notice I wouldn’t be attending.
    Long and short is you know your family and friends so will be better placed to know if they’d commit to attending a week day wedding (those with school age kids, work etc might need to be adeptly catered for/recognise they might not be able to attend). Good luck x
  • SianyKB
    Beginner July 2021 Suffolk
    SianyKB ·
    • Hide content

Hey Bethany, I am having a Tuesday wedding and I am finding lots of people are RSVPing that they are coming! But I am fortunate that I am a shift worker, as are many of my friends from work. Plus lots of my family/groom's family are older so don't have work commitments. If I was a 9-5'er, I would probably go for a weekend wedding

• B
    Beginner April 2023 North Yorkshire
    Bethany ·
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone! Our ten year anniversary is on a Wednesday so We’re trying to decide whether we want to do it on the actual day or the weekend following. Still not sure but everyone’s insights have been very helpful x
  • S
    Beginner September 2021
    scousewhite ·
    • Hide content
    I am also having this dilemma at the moment. Due to family being in different places but not wanting to plan a wedding too far ahead, I put off organising anything in lockdown (in case family couldn't travel). I'm happy to do alternative days and having a smaller wedding I think people should be able to attend.
    I'm curious, looking at the above none of the days mentioned are a Sunday?
    Is there any reason people are not looking at this for an alternative wedding day? I'm not religious at all and none of the people invited will be eitherI thought sunday might be easier than midweek as guests would need to take 1 day off only
  • N
    Beginner August 2021 Warwickshire
    NellyNiff ·
    • Hide content

I've been to lots of midweek weddings, and had planned a Thursday wedding for us since we got engaged in 2018. We have postponed a couple of times, and have recently moved our wedding from June to August this year in the hope we can make the most of the restrictions lifting! This time we have had to go for a Monday as it's the only day all our suppliers would line up, and we haven't had any push back from any guests so far. A lot of our guests are travelling, so a lot of them are now coming for the weekend before which is lovely. As others have said, those that want to be there will do their best to be there, irrelevant of the week day! x

• H
    Beginner May 2020
    HappyBlueCakes6145 ·
    • Hide content
    I have moved my wedding from a Saturday in April to a Monday in July due to Covid. All of our family are fine with it and so far friends have said yes but I’m a worrier and keep thinking people are going to be going home early because it’s a Monday ?
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you're picking a day to get cheaper rates or better availability, Sunday probably won't help you, because a lot of people do get married then. Also, in 'normal times' a lot of wedding fairs are on Sundays, so suppliers tend to be booked up attending those as well.

• S
    Beginner September 2021
    scousewhite ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your reply, I hadn't even considered wedding fairs! My main thought were just the lack of availability on Fridays and Saturdays and as we'd have people traveling (within uk) Sunday would give the opportunity to make it a weekend away.

Thanks for the advice
  • Bethanie
    Curious March 2023 South West London
    Bethanie ·
    • Hide content
    We're having our wedding on a Monday. We're only inviting around 45 people so less chance of people not being able to come. And everyone We're going to invite would hopefully take a day off for it. We don't feel guilty at all for doing it during the week, it's saving us so much money.
  • Fab
    Curious September 2021 Surrey
    Fab ·
    • Hide content
    Wednesday here! We let people know well in advance and a few people will have to travel (hopefully) from another country, so there will be a need for them to take some time off.

Especially 2021, so many people really did not have some time “off” so they are making time to come to us - ps. We only have 60 people so we are truly only inviting people who want to make it!
  • Melissab
    Dedicated June 2022 Surrey
    Melissab ·
    • Hide content
    We’re getting married on a Thursday next year. We were lucky because after picking our date and booking our venue our wedding day and the following Friday were announced as Bank Holidays for The Queen’s platinum coronation. The one thing we did do was to pick a date during the half term because we have children in our wedding party
  • C
    Merseyside
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Just a point- maybe it genuinely wasn't an issue for your guests. But if your guests are self-employed, they won't get paid for the day they are off to attend your wedding, and potentially the day before and after if they need to travel. So that £300 you save on your photographer, for your wedding, is being paid for above and beyond by your guests who will be losing £100's of income - yet the difference is it is not their big day. The focus on midweek weddings often seem to be on the cost savings for the couple, but this tends to then shift the burden to the guests, which in my opinion is unfair.
  • Marcie
    Rockstar August 2021 Bristol
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    I’ve been to 3 mid week weddings, the people who really matter to you will make the effort to be there.
  • R
    Savvy May 2022
    RomanticBlueHair33815 ·
    • Hide content
    I just want to say here, a lot of people no longer work a Mon to Fri 9-5 week. And therefore, for a lot of people weekends are not the best option.

We are having ours on a weekday, because it's a special day for us. Those who can make it will be there and those who cannot won't be.
    Do what's best for you ❤️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics