Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner January 2019

Midweek wedding dilema

RomanticIvoryBridesmaid877, 4 of October of 2017 at 21:01 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi all,

My partner and I have been together a long time and engaged for much of it. We have always celebrated the anniversary of our first date and want to get married on this same date as it has special meaning to us. Currently, our plan is to get married on the 10 year anniversary of our first date but this falls on a Thursday. This doesn't bother us and will actually be helpful to bring costs down a bit. However, my mother and mother-in-law are opposed to the idea of us getting married on anything other than a Saturday, and particularly against us having a midweek wedding.

I'm after some advice and opinions on how to resolve this situation and what others would do if they were us. Do we keep the date that is important to us and cause tension (with the possibility of some guests being unable/ unwilling to attend a midweek wedding)? Or do we give up our date to keep everybody happy and make things easier for our guests?

Any advice/ opinions/ suggestions/ guidance/ recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Natasha

2 replies

Latest activity by HappyBrownConfetti849, 5 of October of 2017 at 13:13
  • E
    Beginner October 2017
    ExpensiveYellowConfetti904 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married midweek - well a Monday! People were opposed too saying they would have to take time off work - erm yes - but people who work weekends would also have to take time off for a weekend wedding. We live in a society now where people work 7 days a week and the majority can shift around days off. Also if you get a midweek day you save a fortune! We saved....£8,000 -I'm not kidding!

Our wedding date is classed as term time and midweek! Its not term time for our children as our school has different times off in the year than the county where we are getting married. We could never have afforded our venue otherwise. And Saturdays are booked out well in advance, we would have had to wait until next year if we wanted our venue on a Saturday - the other thing is those who automatically have weekends off are classing it as a long weekend and staying over at the venue making it a much bigger celebration!

Of course some people cannot make the day or don't want to take time off work - so to be honest, if they can't be bothered with swapping days off- then Im not bothered if they come or not quite frankly!

The pro's certainly outweigh the cons, financially especially!

I don't think people assume a wedding is on a Saturday anymore. I think that's incredibly old-fashioned due to people's work and family commitments.

x

• R
    Beginner April 2018
    RomanticBlueCakes716 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married on a Thursday, to reiterate above, if people can't be bothered taking a day off work to come to your wedding then you obviously don't mean much to them. Our ceremony is at 2pm, so even a half day off work would suffice. Our registrar said Friday is now the most popular day for weddings, but hotels charge Saturday prices and you still need a day off work, at least a Thursday you get a cost saving!

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married on a Wednesday, and it's same as above, saves money, we get our special date and people who want to be there will be.

If you want to offer an olive branch, have just an intimate wedding on the Thursday and throw a party the following weekend as a reception. This also saves money as it's a party, not a wedding so costs significantly less.

We're having close family and friends on the Wednesday, with a no-holds-barred guest list for our party on the Saturday. We just booked a function room, buffet and DJ -so much cheaper x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics