Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hoddy
Beginner July 2014

Midweek Wedding - Wednesday or Thursday???

Hoddy, 5 March, 2013 at 21:11 Posted on Planning 0 31

I'm getting married in July 2014, although originally this was going to be 23rd May 2015 (a Saturday). After being given an amazing midweek package for our venue, we can now afford to push the wedding forward and have decided on July.

Originally we wanted Wednesday 23rd July, as that way we still get our '23' and it is July. However, OH's Mum has said for practical reasons it might be a better idea to get married on Thursday 24th. She said that way guests can take a long weekend (book thurs and fri off) rather than having to either take 3 days off or go back to work on the Friday.

I think it should be up to us what we do, and we wanted a '23'. It doesn't have any special influence on us ATM but we just like the date. I feel that if people want to come this means they have to make more of an effort, but at least they have chosen to be there and aren't just there for something to do. Then she said that makes it less likely for people to be able to get time off, but I think if we give people enough notice it will be fine!

Do you think she is right and we should think practically? Have you ever been to a mid week wedding and been annoyed about the date?

31 replies

Latest activity by The Wedding Singer, 7 March, 2013 at 12:19
  • Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

It definitely is up to you what you do.

I would go for Thursday for the same reasons your fiance's mum quoted.

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

Thats exciting that you can bring it forward!

I agree that a Thursday would be easier for me in terms of work because I'd probably need the day off work after a wedding anyway so if it were a Friday and then I could make a weekend of it I'd prefer that to having to take 3 days off or return to work for a Friday.

But ultimately it's your choice and I bet as many people would make the effort to be there to celebrate your big day with you regardless.

(also I am super weird with numbers and didn't want to get married on an odd numbered day except a 5. No reason, I'm just strange!)

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Thursday all the way -particularly if no difference in price.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Remember that lots of people no longer just work weekdays. For me, taking a Saturday off work would be just as much hassle, if not ore so, than taking a weekday off. I don't think it would be as much an issue as you think these days. I'm also weird about numbers. If 23 feels good to you, and 24 doesn't, then go with 23rd. There will always be people who can't make it, regardless of when you plan it for. Just let people know well in advance and be prepared for a smaller wedding.

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

23rd of July 2014 is school holidays ( in Sheffield anyway) break up 21st, which randomly is a Monday

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

What's the significance of the 23rd? Other than it being your original date, obviously.

It is up to you, of course, but as a guest I'd much prefer a Thursday to a Wednesday.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

There is no significance to the 23rd, I just worry now that as it was my original date the weather will be lovely the day I first wanted and rubbish on the day I got in the end! ? Although as OH has just said, it doesn't matter what the weather is doing - we can't predict it and will still have a lovely day regardless.

I'm now thinking about completely changing it to Thursday 31st July, as I just realised the schools here don't break up until Thursday 24th (first day off is 25th) which is really late but just my luck! I have a sister and a brother who are at school.

Hopefully it will be the same rates on the 31st *fingers crossed*

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I'd def go for 31st then! Smiley smile

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

Just look up school holiday dates on your council website to check both Wed and Thurs covered. Personally I'd go for Thurs (but Im biased!). Dont worry, I changed my date from 2014 to 2013 and a year and a half on I have no clue what the original date was in 2014, so I wont know if the weather is better etc x

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

Oops just seen you've looked up dates, sorry!

• O
    Beginner September 2014
    owlalice ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally agree with this. (And the part about weird numbers! lol) I think you should DEFINATELY go for the date that you and OH want, and not worry about other people too much. You are giving them so much notice of the date anyway, that people will most likely be able to make it, and if they can't, it reduces numbers, and saves costs! We're having ours on a thurs. We've been pressurised by OH's mum to make it a friday, but the 25th means something to us, and it falls on a thurs, not to mention, its ALOT cheaper than fri, sat or sun!

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

I proffer a big fat Thursday vote!

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the reasons for choosing Thursday, but if you were my friend and I was invited to your wedding then as long as I was given enough notice, I would happily book a Wednesday off work.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

I would much prefer a Thursday too, just easier for a long weekend.

Before we got lucky with our Easter Monday date we were going to go for either a normal Monday or a Thursday, more convenient.

• Love&Lavender
    Beginner September 2014
    Love&Lavender ·
    • Hide content

I have only ever actually attended weddings on Fridays and Saturdays (other than one on NYE which fell midweek but is slightly different due to the bank hols) so can only give a hypothetcial answer.

If I had a choice my preference would be the Thursday so I would only need to take two days leave. However, I would also attend a Wednesday wedding. At the end of the day I would just be pleased to be invited and be looking forwards to seeing my friends get married!

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

I will be honest, I think that planning a wedding based around a date that has no significance to you currently, compared to the practicality for your guests is a bit bizarre. Obviously, as it has been well pointed out, not everyone works Mon-Fri, but I imagine the majority do. Just my thoughts.

• mai27
    Beginner June 2016
    mai27 ·
    • Hide content

If I was a day guest then I'd get the time off work regardless of what day it was but as an evening guest if the wedding was on a Wednesday I might not go, especially if it meant traveling. If it was a Thursday then I'd just take the Friday off work and have a long weekend.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a good point to consider, too.

• Longtimecoming
    Beginner August 2013
    Longtimecoming ·
    • Hide content

Im another Thursday wedding vote Smiley smile

Ours is on a Thursday but we are having only closest family and friends to the day and then everyone else is invited to the evening.

Its in the summer holidays which works well for 2 of my friends who are teacher.

It is also bank holiday weekend so if people do decide to book of the friday they get a 4 day weekend.

• Mrs.P.To.Be
    Beginner March 2013
    Mrs.P.To.Be ·
    • Hide content

I vote for Thursday...as that's when I'm getting married! We liked the fact that people could make a weekend of it, as most people coming don't live locally.

• BertB
    Beginner July 2013
    BertB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS.

• Guy Wade
    Guy Wade ·
    • Hide content

I can see all the good reasons for a Thursday. And, for me, numbers don't hold much significance.

But...

When you organise anything there will be things that you'd like to have that you can't make happen (perhaps your ideal wedding includes being showered in gold leafed rose petals dropped from a helicopter flown by the Dalai Lama) and things that you can make happen. If you think there's any chance that you'd look back and regret not sticking to the date you originally wanted, you should make sure you have that date.

It's your day.
    If you can get what you want: do it.
    If you can get close to what you want: compromise.
    If you can't get what you want: don't regret it.

• F
    Beginner October 2014
    FutureMrsFellows ·
    • Hide content

My sister got married on a wednesday and everyone still made the effort to come, i think one or two people didnt come because they couldnt get it off work but she only gave 7 weeks notice and had that long to plan it!

go with whatever day makes you happy its your day! we are getting married on a monday because its the date he proposed and we are just giving plenty of notice then people have the time to book it off.

x

• sophkitten
    Beginner May 2015
    sophkitten ·
    • Hide content

Definitely a vote for Thursday but I am biased as I am a Thursday bride. We just thought it would be the easiest cheaper option as it is close to the weekend and if people really want to come then they will take the time off.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Taking a Wednesday then Thursday off would ruin a whole week's worth of work for me.

Taking a Thursday then Friday off would be far more feasible.

• B
    Beginner June 2014
    Babbo ·
    • Hide content

You must choose a date that you want ;-) after all how many of the guests do you think will ACTUALLY book The thur and friday off?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would have thought most would?

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

I think Thursdays are easier for most for loads of reasons already pointed out.

I would add that if you don't have much holiday and can only take the wedding day then at least it is only the Friday you have to push through for work. A wednesday would throw me out of kilter a bit and to be honest I wouldn't really want to use more than one days holiday to attend a wedding ( depending on whose it was ) holidays are precious enough as it is.

With the school holidays I would suggest to avoid that first week if they finish the day after, and go more towards the 31st. But give plenty of notice for people in case they are away on holiday too.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Hello everyone,

Thanks ever so much for all your comments. I agree that it was silly trying to get a '23' when really is has no significance to our relationship. It was just a date that stuck to us.

However, we went back to our venue today and have booked THURSDAY 31st July 2014, and I am sure the guests will be much happier with that than a Wednesday. Also means it is in school holidays so my little brother and sister will be able to attend! ? Very happy. Thanks again!

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

In my experience the three main things that differ with a mid-week wedding are:

1. Not as many of your guests will be able to attend - particularly think about if you have a lot of teacher friends who can't take days off out of term time - not sure if you'll be in the summer holidays?

2. Ok, point one was really obvious! Secondly, people won't drink as much / won't drink at all. A lot may think this is unimprtant / not matter but it can affect the atmosphere in the evening - I tend to find a lot less dancing at mid-week weddings and things to be generally quieter. You may not particuarly mind this however?

3. People will GENERALLY leave earlier. Not everyone, not at every wedding, but generally people will druift off earlier if they have to be at work the next day - not many of your guests will be able to take two days off work for you. Again, this can affect the atmosphere on the night / people dancing.

Obviously on the other hand, you get a really nice venue at a MASSIVE discount!

Beyond not everyone being able to attend - surely the really important people will get the day off for you. It really depends how much importance you're putting on your evening do being lively and having lots of dancing etc - if this isn't too important to you and you don't want to risk not having the liveliest of evenings, I'd go for it.

James

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics