Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Midweek Weddings - Views / Experiences???

28 January, 2011 at 18:37 Posted on Planning 0 10

Is anyone else having or had a midweek wedding? Did you have any issues with guests not attending or saying that they might not be able to attend because of work etc etc? We're getting married 12/12/12 (Wednesday). It was important to us because it's my Gran's birthday and we're very very close. She's been ill for the past couple of years and when we told her we wanted to share her special date she was over the moon. In the future when she's no longer here we can keep her day "extra special" if that makes any sense and it's something I'll always share with her.

There was a huge difference in price too with our venue. Eg if we had it on the 15th (sat) the venue price jumped up almost £2000. So I'm sure we're doing the right thing but in the back of my mind I'm still a bit worried about people attending?

Views girls??xx

10 replies

Latest activity by knitting_vixen, 29 January, 2011 at 10:54
  • Rebecca86
    Beginner July 2012
    Rebecca86 ·
    • Hide content

Aw that's a lovely thought !

I think it's a fab idea my advice would book it as soon as you can

it's a special date 12/12/12 and is very popular as is this years 11/11/11

And if you give everyone plenty of notice and send out save the dates

there's no reason why people shouldn't be able to make it

Good Luck !!

• MrsMeadeToBe
    Beginner September 2012
    MrsMeadeToBe ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

Me and my OH are getting married on a Thursday, I do have the same worries as you, but the way I look at it, If the people you are inviting really care about you that much, they will make the effort to book the time off work. The only think we have going for us is alot of friends and family work as teachers so as we are getting wed in school holidays its not an issue for them. We are getting a lot more for our money from the venue as well for doing it on a thursday. There will always be pros and cons, but if you give everyone enough notice, you should be fine!

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married on a Wednesday too. I wrote a similar post to yours about 8 months ago and the general consensus was that the main group of people that might have difficulty attending was teachers (our wedding is during term time). Luckily this wasn't an issue for us as we dont know any teachers. So far there has only been one person let us know they can't attend and that is because she has an a level exam that day. A few people seemed surprised by the fact if was a Wednesday but no complaints so far (not to our faces anyway!) Our venue was half the price and we have negotiated a discount with almost all of our other suppliers, using the midweek thing as a bargaining tool so there are definitely lots of positives to a weekday wedding. Even better for you as the date has a special meaning.

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

I am having a Thursday wedding,no idea about peoples attendance as i have not done the invites yet,most of my friends are nurses so the weekend/weekday thing does not matter as much. For family i hope that if i give enough notice it will be okay.

• R
    Beginner February 2011
    rosieehill ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I just wanted to say that we have been invited by some friends to a Thursday wedding and have no problem with having to take the day off. If you give plenty of notice, I'm sure most people will be delighted to have time off to attend if needed, and if the saving means you can have the venue you want then what a bonus.

Rosie x

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Over the years I have photographed weddings on all days of the week and found little difference in the weddings themselves. With enough warning, all family and guests that matter will make the time to attend. Te key thing is enough time for people to sort work/leave etc.....Additionally, some children will need permission to be absent from their school on that day.

Peter

• Mrs-HFA
    Beginner December 2012
    Mrs-HFA ·
    • Hide content

The only experience of this I have, was from a friends wedding a couple of years ago, in fairness Sunday + mid week weddings weren't very popular then. That wedding was a Sunday, obviously there was no issue with people attending the wedding but by 10pm the reception was pretty much empty as people hadn't taken the Monday off work.

We were at a wedding a few weeks back, it was a Wednesday and the reception remained full to the end, but then it was in between Christmas and New Year and probably most people would have been off work anyway.

I personally would ensure I had both days off, so I could let my hair down a bit. Weekday weddings are getting more popular too so I'm sure it'll be fine.

PS - You're getting married just 10 days before me!!!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Personally I would find it a bit of a ballache having to take time off work (Unpaid). Plus we have to get up at 6:30am some days for work so wouldn't want to stay out late.

• May2be
    Beginner July 2011
    May2be ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married on a monday and we are having 60 family and only our closest friends to the day. Since all these people are very close to us I am sure they do not have any problem with taking the day off work for the wedding and I certainly haven't had any mumbles from people. Our venue charges an extra £2.5k to get married on a saturday and we wouldn't be able to afford the extra expense without taking out a loan or saving for an extra year so we decided to go for the monday anyway. From what I have heard most people have taken the monday and tuesday off work and are glad to be having a long weekend! lol

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

My best friend got married on a Friday (know that's not mid week!) and i don't think she had any problems with people not coming. I was more than happy to take a days holiday for it x

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Obvs you should do what you want, if those closest to you can deffo attend, that is the main thing.

I personally wouldn't mind taking time off work but I have loads of good friends who are teachers so they wouldn't be able to attend. Therefore I wouldn't, but if you have no such issues, go for it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics