Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner August 2024 Lancashire

mil +1

Anon, 24 of February of 2023 at 13:53 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 2
Hi everyone! Hoping for some words of wisdom 🤞🏻😬

My fiancé and I booked our wedding for 2024 a year ago, we’re getting married abroad and booked for a set number of guests. My fiancé’s grandma later said she wouldn’t be attending as she doesn’t want to fly at her age, which is fine. It meant we had an extra seat, so we decided to let my future MIL invite a friend as she is the only single adult and the only member of her family attending now that her mum has declined the invitation.
Since this decision was made, two of the couples we have invited have had children who we will now be making room for at the wedding and a bridesmaid has now got a long term boyfriend who she has said she will pay to add on to the wedding as there’s a fee for extra guests. With the kids, we are now over our guest allocation, and I’m not happy to ask our friends (both couples are very close friends of ours - one couple includes a groomsmen and the other includes a bridesmaid) to pay to add their children on. I also don’t feel that they would be in the financial position to do so.
We planned to ask future MIL or her friend to pay for the friend to come as she’s the only guest we’d be happy to cut - we don’t even know her - but when I’ve mentioned this to my dad he said it’s unfair as each other parent has a plus one. Their plus ones are our respective step parents who are active in our lives, though, so I think it’s different.
Just wondering what anyone else would do in this position? TIA x

2 replies

Latest activity by Charlotte, 24 of February of 2023 at 20:04
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

As the children will be under 2 are you sure they can't count within your guest allocation? They won't be eating a proper meal.

Personally I think it's rude to ask an invited guest to pay or threaten to be uninvited so you may just have to absorb the additional cost if you are going to allow additional guests.

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I don't think it is reasonable to ask her this now when you have already agreed to let her invite the friend and pay for them. I know is hard but realistically if anyone should pay it should be the friends with the children who were not part of your original plan, and also, this your future MIL so do you really want to upset her when what you offered was a lovely gesture and to me, it feels like your friends are taking priority over her and her feelings.

As Hayley said, under 2s often don't count in your numbers so I would speak to the venue first as you may not actually have a problem and stressing over nothing

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics