Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

docshell
Beginner May 2009

MIL ruined wedding

docshell, 29 May, 2009 at 15:35 Posted on Planning 0 14

Well the title says it all and it will be a little long as I need to get this out of my system.
MIL always been a little hard work but never thought this would happen.
Arrived in northern Ireland- all was well- did bits and pieces, had nails done, etc and everything fine.
Friday morning MIL went with SIL to spa and everyone else finished the cakes and packed up and drove to the hotel.
Politely asked SIL for my dress as she had transported it and she joked she’d dropped it on the motorway and I said “oh well” and I went to the room.
SIL then went to MIL and told her that I asked for my dress rudely and was a complete b*tch (I didn’t know this). By the way SIL is 42yrs old. So this set MIL off and she started being rude and ignoring me. She made my H cry as she was being so rude.
So I took him off and we had a relaxing bath and sit in hot tub and started again.
But MIL and SIL just continued- b*tching, ignoring, being rude to my dad, etc. FIL and H tried to talk to them but nothing. We all decided we would just ignore them as they were just going to continue.
Morning of the wedding I thought it woud be better (no alcohol in their system) but I just got bollocked and ignored while everyone had their hair and make up done.
Ceremony was great but MIL got hump that we hadn’t told her that we were double barrelling our names (we had and FIL confirmed this) so off she went!
So I ignored her and H and I had our photos done w my dad and FIL (they just needed to get away) we went and talked to everyone and was promptly ignored by his family (MIL had got her claws in).
So we just carried on and I have lots of happy memories of spending time with H and friends I hadn’t seen in years.
We decided to go to bed so said our goodbyes including hugs for MIL and SIL. My dad took us over to the side and said he just wanted to warn me that MIL had come over to him and said that she was going to shout at me the next morning for being so rude to everyone and hs just wanted to warn us.
We got back to room and I promptly burst into tears as MIL and SIL had been so awful all day.
Hardly slept but got up early to pack everything and say good byes to people who had to leave early and jump in the spa for a relax.
Found FIL in tears and he asked me to say thank you to MIL and SIL for their help as he had had it all night how I hadn’t done this and been so rude ( I had said thanks when they left after hair and when we went to bed) so I gritted my teeth for my FIL’s sake and gave them both hugs and thanks where his mother promptly told me I was moody my personality had changes yesterday but she didn’t want to bring it up again.
So we left for in laws house where we were staying, unpacked and Mil went to bed and left us all day.
Monday- got up ready to go out to get food and FIL’s internet stuff and MIL sat us all down and stared off- “I didn’t want to have to bring this up but Michelle has been so rude since Friday and I just can’t take it any longer”
At this I’m sorry but I let rip- I wasn’t putting up with this any longer.
MIL ran off so everyone followed and I was dragged up and we were all locked in a room together by my H. Everything came out- the fact that SIL had lied about me being rude (which had basically set it all off) as H, FIL and H’s friend had all been their when I had “been rude and abusive”. And that SIL had apparently been saying far more nastier things that that about me. MIL wouldn’t believe it but she said she was convinced by the end of it and was going to talk to SIL. I told her that she had ruined my wedding that I had spent a year planning and spent all that money on and I would never forgive her for that as we can’t get that back and H agreed.
She went to SIL to talk to her and we all went shopping as planned. We came back and had dinner all together and friends came over with their little one ad then everyone went to bed.
Tuesday- Got up said hello to MIL and sat down to watch TV. Got dressed at 10 and Mil felt unwell so went to bed. We asked her she wanted to go to the beach and to see the photographer but she said no. So H, I and FIL all went off. We came home at 4 and MIL was out so we thought she was shopping and then off to weight watchers and would be back at 7 ish. 7 came and went so we rang her mobile- no answer. Rang SIL- no answer. It started raining so I ran out to bring washing in and in that space of time SIL had rang and given a load of abuse to FIL and H about the fact that Mil hadn’t seen us for the last 2 days which then changed to not since 08.30 this am – we didn’t leave house until 11.30 and we saw her to bed as she didn’t feel well and asked if she wanted tea/food!!!
So H was trying to phone SIL but she caught him off then threw a torrent of abuse down the phone. So FIL and H have gone around to hers to discuss what is going on as MIL and SIL are both feeding each other lies and living in their own world. They came back after 2 hours and MIL apologised saying she didn’t know what was going on. I really don’t agree with this- she is making herself a victim but she has a brain on her shoulders and could have listened to others but no her daughter comes above her husband and son.
My FIL is the most quiet and gentle person going and I feel so sorry that he is stuck in the middle- we get to go home tomorrow but he has to put up with this.
I can’t forgive MIL or SIL for what they did- there was no need to behave that way.

14 replies

Latest activity by docshell, 29 May, 2009 at 20:37
  • kelly29
    Beginner May 2009
    kelly29 ·
    • Hide content

I honestly don't know what to say but couldn't R&R.

I hope that when you start to receive photos and start reading through your wedding cards that you'll remember all the wonderful moments from the day and the negative ones will be forgotten. Your MIL and SIL can only ruin the memories of your wedding if you allow them to.

xx

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

Oh jeez i am so so sorry to hear your wedding memories have been tainted by your selfish and rude ILs. your poor H and FIL. and most of all, poor you.

i don't have any practical advice for you, except to try to hang on to those positive memories you do have of your wedding day, like seeing all your friends and saying your vows.

try to have a relaxing honeymoon, despite everything that has gone on.

and we would love to see some pics if you have any yet....?

i do wish you every joy - many congratulations on getting married

?

• hay
    Beginner July 2007
    hay ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry your wedding day wasn't as expected.

Seriously, I think you should consider telling them all to *** off back under the stone they crawled out from. Sounds like everyone is too much in each other's pockets and any 42 year old that has nothing better to do than spin yarns isn't worth any time in my opinion.

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

Bloody hell. I'm really sorry - that sounds awful.

One thing I would say is that she will only ruin your wedding memories if you let her. Although I should say "them" really as there was more than one guilty party. Concentrate on the most important thing. You are now married to the man you love and that's the only thing that really matters.

Having said that, I hope they feel guilty.

So sorry.

Ali x

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear. How awful. Sounds like a right nightmare.

I hope that things calm down soon. All you can do is talk, to them about it, although I understand that you tried.

x

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

My god, I really don't know what to say. I have my concerns of my dad ruining my day, but just hope he does not do it for his childrens sake and the love he has for me. I can not actually believe your mil did it her son your husband.

I am so so sorry, but as Kelly said. Once you get home, and start to read your cards and look photos you still did have a wonderful day

?

• ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on getting married. I think you and your H need to try and remember what the day was about and try, as hard as it may be, to forget the horrible things your MIL/SIL have done.

A marriage is about you and your H declaring your love for one another and commiting to each other. Unfortunately IL's are part of the package but don't feel you can't cope without them. At least you and your H have a whole lifetime of memories to make together - which they may or may not be part of.

• HillierB2B
    Beginner August 2010
    HillierB2B ·
    • Hide content

TOTALLY agree with hay ^

Is it me or does your MIL & SIL seem jealous??

I sincerly hope you can look back at your wedding photos and remember what a wonderful day it was for you and your hubby....................and not forever tainted with the memories of your spiteful family members

wish you & your hubby all the best for the future!! x

• claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content

Oh god.... what a nightmare. Glad you had the time with your H to yourself, just look back on the happy parts of the day. What a complete twunts your MIL and SIl sound.

• BonnieLass
    BonnieLass ·
    • Hide content

Aw Docshell, I'm so sorry things turned out like that.?

As Bluewater said, you will really need to focus on the good parts of the day & try to ensure that your MIL & SIL aren't what you remember about it the most.

Congrats on being a married woman! Photos are required ASAP!! xx

• moomin8804
    Beginner July 2009
    moomin8804 ·
    • Hide content

How awful for you, i can see why you are upset, but as everyone else said try to focus on the good points of your day and the fact that you're now a Mrs!!!!

• C
    Beginner June 2009
    claireac ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like MIL & SIL behaved like a couple of spoilt brats! Your poor FIL, he sounds like he gets a hard time.

I hope you'll be able to forget their behaviour and look back on your special day with good memories.

Congratulations!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, poor you and H.

But have a huge congratulations from us all on here!

I agree with what everyone else has said; try and focus on the good parts and not the jealously spewing from them. Sounds like the rest of the day was lovely so make the most of the good memories.

And, err, pictures??!! ?

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

Just wanted to add: If you possibly can, then I think you should try and forgive your mother in law and sister in law. I know they don't really deserve it, but I'm just thinking of your husband. It's not going to be nice for him at all if he ends up stuck in the middle of a family feud. I'm just saying that someone needs to be the bigger person here - and if it's you then I think everyone will really respect the fact that you managed to put all that behind you and move on.

I'm not for a moment condoning their behaviour which was shameful, but I'm just suggesting that if possible you might all be able to move on from this and rebuild some bridges.

Good luck.

Ali x

• docshell
    Beginner May 2009
    docshell ·
    • Hide content

We are back home now which has made it so much better.

I totally agree with everyone- we are focusing on us and the positive moments.

H certainly doesn't forgive his sister as she has apparently been doing this ll his life and that was the end but MIL i just don't know.

Thank you to everyone on here - i just needed to get it out and thanks for listening.

When i find some decent photos (professional ones not back yet) i will post.

Thanks again for your support

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics