Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

Militant rule enforcers

pandorasbox, 18 May, 2012 at 21:05 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

Just took my mum out for dinner, on the way I stopped for petrol. I went in to pay, leaving my mum in the passenger seat, and returned to find a woman at the opposite pump filling up and calling 'unbelievable!l' through my closed window at my mum.

At first I assumed she was someone my mum knew, expressing surprise at seeing her there, as everywhere we go my mum runs into someone she knows. But as I got nearer and was approaching my door I could see my mum looked quite flustered, and the woman was carrying on shouting 'unbelievable' but adding things like 'effing unreal'... I sort of frowned as I opened my door, my mum is calling 'I didn't realise, there is no need to shout, I have switched it off now,' and the woman continuing to shout back, 'petrol everywhere, you're on your effing phone, effing unreal,' and so on.

I said to the woman, as I got in, 'There is no need for that, you have made yourself clear,' but she carried on. My mum looked really upset, so I opened my door again and told the woman there is a nicer way of expressing things rather than swearing. She ignored me and carried on ranting, going on about my mum to the passenger in her car so I just shut the door again and decided to leave it.

I drove away and my mum was pretty shaky, telling me what had gone on. Turns out she had been checking her phone, seen her mum had called and immediately called back, as my granny is so poorly she immediately assumed it was an emergency. Then the woman across the pump had seen her and starting waving and bawling at her, so mum had realised she shouldn't use her phone and hung up on my grandma right away. But the woman had carried on and on and on for all the time I had been paying.

It was silly of my mum to break a rule/law but I understand totally why she did it. I would have done the same probably in her position, you see a missed call and in that situation panic. At the same time I can understand why the woman might have been concerned about people on their phone at a petrol station, but there is no need to rant and rave, especially as my mum turned it off immediately and shouted sorry.

I really wish I had said more to the woman, but my concern was getting my mum out of the situation. She gets very panic attacky in a confrontation, plus was also in limbo not knowing what was up with my gran. I am sure the woman thought she was doing the right thing, being a good citizen and all, but it had an awful effect on my poor mum.

I probably would have tutted at seeing someone on their phone in a garage, but would never start screaming and swearing at someone in a public place. Anyone else a militant rule enforcer like Crazy Garage Lady, or a frowny tutter like me?

14 replies

Latest activity by Aurora Borealis, 19 May, 2012 at 10:44
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry, is my mobile phone about to cause more of a spark than you starting your engine will?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

What a twunt. Probably would have made some very rude comments to her.

Hope you mum is Ok.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Maybe this is a stupid question but I don't drive, why can't you use a phone at a petrol station??

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I am totally confused. You can't use your Phone whilst sitting in a car in a petrol station? ?

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard that one before? Anyone starts on my Mum gets my back up straight away. Silly cow.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I may have called her a fat b itch as I shut my door ?

My mum was fine after I stuffed wine and noodle in her, but I know she will fret on it for days.

I don't know why the law is there, I don't understand the reasons behind it but there are signs all over the forecourt about not using your phone. My mum just didn't know she wasn't supposed to.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

In response to not using your mobile phone - a number of years ago there were a couple of incidents of batteries in mobile phone bursting into flames, in an oriental country I can't remember which one. The eventual conclusion was it was dodgy knock off batteries that had caused the problem. But the response was an immediate banning of mobile phones in any place where there might be the use of violatile chemicals. However this all could be rubbish, but it was what I was told...

Personally dependent on the law I would say something BUT don't feel the need to scream and swear and shout at someone - I think that's more to do with the type of person rather than whether it is to do with breaking any rules.

• SassyT
    Beginner August 2013
    SassyT ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! And also Mythbusters tested mobile phones and petrol pumps and busted it ?

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Some people just can't help themselves from causing a scene, its a disgrace, they have no idea how it might affect the other person, they have no idea what issues they might have or their reasons.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

It was incidents like this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/140101/cell_phone_battery_explodes_in_the_night.html

Discussed here considering the Science:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=393028

So its not the using the phone - but the tiny risk with the battery exploding, there are lots of cases if you google. I'm not sure how Mythbusters got hold of a phone with a faulty battery andd caused it to explode at exactly the right time...

Anyhow bloody H&S they only make up these rules to make our lives more difficult eh?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

It's an urban legend that mobile phones are a fire risk at petrol stations. Firstly, as I mentioned, they cannot possibly be more of a fire risk than your car, whose starting mechanism is designed to set fire to petrol (which is surpringly difficult to ignite). Secondly, mobiles transmit and receive signals, even when you aren't using them, yet nobody is forced to turn their phones off. Thirdly, most petrol station fires are caused by static electricity ignitions, so you should always ground yourself and your car when you stop for fuel (touch the body work, if you aren't wearing rubber shoes).

Boy has long harboured a suspicion that mobiles have the potential to interfere with pump signalling mechanism, possibly allowing you to dispense more petrol than is registered. Can't have that, can we?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

WFTLOMBS.

That said, as a rule I don't tend to use my phone at a petrol station. They have a rule and I'm inclined to follow it and think others ought to too. There's no way I'd go batshit mental at someone for doing it though, and think the woman who ranted at your mum ought to get some manners. If she felt that strongly she should simply have pointed out the sign and asked your mum to end her call.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. I must admit, if someone spoke to my mother like that I'm not sure I would have been able to control myself so well done you for leaving as quickly as possible!

It's not like she was doing 80mph, steering with her feet while texting.

Your poor mum.

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

A colleague of mine went home 5 minutes early once, and another colleague went and told her boss. I thought that was unnecessarily militant.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics