Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner June 2010

Military weddings

Priscilla42, 16 February, 2010 at 16:34 Posted on Planning 0 2

Just wondering if there is anyone else trying to plan (or have already had) a military wedding, cos there are a few details I'm a bit hazy on and with H2B deployed at the moment and generally a bit useless at admin-type stuff any help would be much appreciated!

1 - H2B told me that if he wears uniform then everyone else in the wedding party who is also military will have to wear uniform as well. Is this true? Not that I mind really but it would be a bit odd having lots of identical-looking people wandering around!

2 - Wedding insurance - this is a total nightmare. Because H2B is currently deployed no-one will insure us. Once he comes back in April we should be able to get insurance then but some insurers I've spoken to said that they need something in writing from the OC confirming that he will have that day off etc etc - anyone else had this problem? Also is insurance more expensive if you're Army?

3 - Guard of honour - I loooove the thought of having one! But not a clue how to go about organising this - any ideas? Also will the guys doing it be part of the wedding party as well?

Thanks everyone! I love this forum already Smiley smile

xxx

2 replies

Latest activity by DebbieD, 16 February, 2010 at 22:11
  • bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

Welcome to Hitched! It was a while back, but I did have a military wedding too.

My OH wore his uniform, and it looked great. Seems a shame when you've got it to hand to spend money hiring something different!! We had about 20 people in uniform, but not everyone military wore their uniform and I don't think it's a rule that if the groom is in uniform the guests have to be too (certainly all the girls wanted to get dressed up rather than put their uniform on!). Obviously, if you have a guard of honour then you'll need some of them in uniform anyway. All we did was say to the guys we wanted in the guard to bring their swords if they had them, and you can usually sign out extras from your nearest armoury if you need them. Normally you nominate someone to be in charge on the day, and they'll shout the right commands to everyone and make sure they do the right thing!

We had a nightmare with insurance too, and in the end because my OHs OC had confirmed he could be free for the day and we were getting married in a forces church with a reception in the mess we didn't bother with it. That was nearly 10 years ago now, so surely someone must do it? Not much help, sorry!

Glad you're loving the forum already....happy planning!

Georgie

• Emmsie270
    Beginner June 2011
    Emmsie270 ·
    • Hide content

Hey

I'm trying to sort out insurance for our wedding next year and we are having the same problem. Although a couple of the insurers will provide cover for us in the event of unexpected deployment it would be void.

Other than that i'm not much help we've got to find all the rules and regs out too. I'm sure its a matter of choice who wears there uniform or not as we have attened a wedding where only the grrom was in his uniform.

Em x

• DebbieD
    DebbieD ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I recently planned a military wedding and here are some of the pictures: https://www.photobox.co.uk/album/219386655 and the official photos are here: https://www.everybodysmile.biz/andrewyoungson/ - Isabella & Laurence

The best man and ushers didn't wear uniform.

We had a guard of honour but they weren't part of the wedding party. The guard of honour are usually chosen by the groom and you need to ensure they have seats near the back of the church so they can get out quickly and easily before the bride and groom.

Hope that helps. Can't help with the insurance other than what Emmsie has said - they will usually cover everything except unexpected deployment.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics