Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

panda2011
Beginner September 2011

Military Weddings

panda2011, 24 November, 2010 at 22:14

Posted on Planning 58

I'm sure I'm not the only Hitcher getting married to a man in uniform. What's everyone doing about uniforms/civvy clothes? My OH will wear his RAF uniform, as will his RAF mates. His brother will be in his Australian AF uniform. We then run into a problem as OH's BM is a civvy & doesn't have...

I'm sure I'm not the only Hitcher getting married to a man in uniform. What's everyone doing about uniforms/civvy clothes? My OH will wear his RAF uniform, as will his RAF mates. His brother will be in his Australian AF uniform. We then run into a problem as OH's BM is a civvy & doesn't have uniform. The other military weddings i've been to have all been in Scotland & most civvies have worn kilts but that won't be appropriate for us. I think the civvy members of the wedding party should wear morning suits but my OH (probably cos he doesn't want to have to pay for the hire!) thinks they should just wear whatever suits they've got lurking in the back of their wardrobes. Any thoughts? Am I being unreasonable wanting all members of the main wedding party to be either in uniform or a morning suit? Looking forward to our sword party after the ceremony, always a fab photo opportunity ?

58 replies

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I'd also like to add: He won't be getting married in his work clothes:

He'll be getting married in a formal suited version:

c

When McDonalds staff, Nurses, Carers etc have these kind of uniforms, it would be more than acceptable to wear them to get married too.

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Minicooper, I agree the question was valid but there are ways of wording things on what for many is a highly emotive subject.

• Cherry Garcia
    Beginner November 2017
    Cherry Garcia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm glad someone posted this. My H wore his number ones for our wedding, it's not like he rocked up with denims tied at the waist, a dirty hi-vis vest and ear defs! It's not their work uniform and they don't wear it often.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

My other half has actually never wore number 1's and so I can't wait to see him in them. At over £1,000 a set to buy we couldn't justify it and as he didn't need them the regiment wouldn't supply them.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Or maybe Bridebrat asked a question and sees things from a different perspective as she doesn't live your life.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Having read through this entire thread, I do think poor old Bridebrat is getting the 'Hitched blows it out of proportion' treatment. She hasn't slighted the military or the wonderful job that our servicemen and women do. Nor is she slightly the partners of those who serve. She asked a valid question - that's what Hitched is for!

• Cherry Garcia
    Beginner November 2017
    Cherry Garcia ·
    • Hide content

In answer to BrideBrat's question "why", my H wore his number ones for our wedding for a combination of three reasons;

firstly - I asked him to? My reasons for asking were that a) I'm very proud of him and wanted to show him off and b) I'm a perv?

secondly - It was a choice between number ones or a morning suit, "I'll look a dick in a morning suit"

Thirdly - Best Man wanted to wear his as they'd recently received their Iraq medals. It made sense for them to match.

So mostly, he did it for other people?

One the other hand, my brother wants H to wear his ones for their wedding next year. He really doesn't want to but is doing it for my brother.

It's really not like wearing work uniform as they so rarely wear the formal uniform. HTH

ETA in answer to the OP, H and BM wore their uniforms (RAF), the rest of the wedding party wore morning suits (frock coats not tails) in navy with light gold waistcoats and Gold cravats, two pageboys wore the same but with lighter gold waistcoats and dusky pink cravats.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Cherry Garcia - I think it's a confidence thing for my OH. As I said it's such a part of who he is, so it's what he feels comfortable in. BUT I suspect he also wants to show off his new medal, and his new stripes! ?

More than that, as his uncle is a W01 and married in his uniform so it was kind of assumed by him and it's expected in the role - that's why his regiment has a supply of these uniforms for grooms to wear.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

CB - I have tried really hard not to be mean because I honestly don't think she meant any offence. I've seen her kindness via the hitched raffle etc.

It was the way that the below was written that upset me as I don't feel like he should be hiding away from the role he does. And in my opinion his role is hugely important and moreso than many (but not all) others that people do. There are others, mainly in the services, but IMO anyone who saves lives but puts their own in danger by doing so is in special - no way could I do it - "more important" perhaps not, but I do feel it deserves a higher level of respect as they are doing something I couldn't do myself.

• C
    Beginner October 2011
    CLAIREYFAIRY2 ·
    • Hide content

Not everyone in the military does want to get married in their uniform, my FIL refused even though the family wanted him to.

I don't think Bridebrat meant any offence at all by her post, I can see why someone not in the military wouldn't understand why they wear their uniforms, if you aren't involved in the military then you don't have visibility of how their lives are effected. It's a very emotive subject so was bound to stir things up!

• Pheonix
    Beginner August 2011
    Pheonix ·
    • Hide content

I've read through this thread and I find that my emotions have gone up and down, a lot of very valid and interesting points have been brought up and some of your posts have reminded me of times with my OH when it has been so very hard, in the first two years he was in the army I saw him for 12 weeks total, apparently we were unlucky but you get used to it, then he went to afgan and I can't even describe how hard that was.

I'm very protective and proud of my OH.

I'm sure Bride Brat didn't mean any offence she had a perfectly valid question to ask, from what I know the no1 dress only gets worn at weddings, they have a day to day uniform, a mess dress and a no2 uniform for church and funerals. I don't think I ever had a choice being in the army is such a big part of who my OH is was never really an option that my OH wears it, he's had to buy it and it is expensive. It's the trousers of his mess dress (formal wear) and a coat that must be tailored and costs 650-1000. Nearly as much as my wedding dress but he looks very gorgeous in it ?

• Pheonix
    Beginner August 2011
    Pheonix ·
    • Hide content

And he gets to wear spurs on his boots which are sooo cool ?

• Cherry Garcia
    Beginner November 2017
    Cherry Garcia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That really is very cool.

I didn't realise that not everybody got issued number ones. Are his number twos similar to my H's number ones then? Does that q make sense??

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I think every regiment's number 1's are different. different coloured belt, style of jacket, obviously different Cat badge.

OH has the option to buy or borrow (for free) a pair and then get them tailored.

• Pheonix
    Beginner August 2011
    Pheonix ·
    • Hide content

CG,

His no2's look a lot like the WW2 uniform, there brown/green in colour. He also needs a sword for his number 1's but luckily we can rent that. Even more amusing he's in a scottish regiment and when we have a do in the mess he has to wear trews!

found this on google,

• Pheonix
    Beginner August 2011
    Pheonix ·
    • Hide content

This is my OH in his number 1's when he was best man, personally I think he looks awesome! He'll look a little different at our wedding he's been promoted since so he'll have another pip and I think there are a couple of extra flourishes he can wear as a groom

• Cherry Garcia
    Beginner November 2017
    Cherry Garcia ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I think My H's number ones must be more like yours' 2s. It's a crap pic but it's the most recent.

• Pheonix
    Beginner August 2011
    Pheonix ·
    • Hide content

No 5's blimey!

they all look very smart ?

• Cherry Garcia
    Beginner November 2017
    Cherry Garcia ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous pic of you both, Based on the first pic, is he at M? Sorry for being cryptic but you might not want people to know? Tell me to bugger off if you like!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics