Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsBear2b
Beginner August 2011

Minimal to no table decorations, and vegetarian help

MrsBear2b, 21 March, 2011 at 11:36 Posted on Planning 0 13

Not sure if anyone here has ever been to a Vietnamese/Chinese wedding before so will explain from the beginning. Apologies in advance for the long winded explanation ladies.

Our reception is being held at the traditional Chinese restaurant where we'll be having the standard 10 at each round table. The food is different obviously, but the way that it is served also changes the options of table layout. People are not given individual portions, instead a big humongous dish is served and everyone shares from the middle. One that dish is finished it will be replaced with another and another...till all 10 courses are thoroughly cleaned up!

First problem - Chinese people don't tend to have centrepieces as they get in the way of the food. If there are centrepieces they end up staying there for about half an hour before promptly being removed by waiters and replaced with food. This makes perfect sense to me but I'm worried that the room will look really bare with nothing on the tables. Obviously it'll be fine once food is on the table but won't it look dull? This is a picture I found on the internet of a different restaurant to show you what it looks like with nothing on the table but plates, bowls etc. In the middle are some bottles of wine. We'd have white table linen not the yellow.

Later on once the food is on the table it'll be like this

Again just a random picture I found online. So really there isn't space for any flowers or prettiness. People keep suggesting balloon in the middle and I have seen this at Chinese weddings. They just get snipped away just before the dinner starts and float up. But I really really really don't want balloons at my wedding.

So ladies what to do?

Second problem - we will have a table plan for everyone but this is causing headaches too. The menu will have things like lobster, roast duck...and like I said above the dish is shared in the middle of the table. So what do we do about vegetarians? We pay per table, so a full table of 10 costs us £600. However if we put a vegetarian on a meat table it means they will end up getting piddly portions of food and maybe not even a full 10 course variety as it will be too complicated for the chefs to separate it onto small dishes. And in doing so we still pay £60 for that person to be on that complete table as well as extra money for their vegetarian dishes. Does that make sense to everyone?

So what to do with the vegetarians? I can't put them all on the same table as they don't know each other and may not want to be separated form their partners. The other option was to have a buffet style table which is central to them that will have vegetarian food on and they will have to get up and serve themselves, but that seems like too much of a hassle for them to keep standing up to get more food.

Ahhh that's the end of it I think...

13 replies

Latest activity by knitting_vixen, 22 March, 2011 at 12:18
  • Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Ooo thats a tricky one I think your buffet table idea would work best as at least that way they will get a good meal as i think you're right you cant seperate hem from partners and sit them with other people they dont know!

Re your tables i wouldnt worry too much people will see the centre peices as they come in so know you havent forgotton them and then the food will appear so all will become apparent so i would just leave it as that!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I'm a vegetarian and I'd prefer getting up to a buffet table I think. Especially as that way prevents the meateaters from scoffing all my food Smiley laugh I have a small amount of Chinese ancestry, and I always have to have special food prepared for me when we go out to eat at Chinese restaurants and people think I am a freak Smiley sad So the fact that I was even getting food that wasn't just egg fried rice would be a massive bonus!

I wouldn't personally worry about table centrepieces. Although having said that... we're having a similar set-up but with Indian food, and our caterers have arranged lily vases with lilies in as centrepieces. But then again we're not having as many dishes, there are 4 dishes for starters and 4 dishes for mains so they will fit around the lily vases.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't bother with centre peices, I don't think that people woule notice their absence, and if they did, they would realise why (I would).

You could always do something nice with napkins (e.g. tie them with patterned ribbon) and place cards (you could get the ones that you rest on the glasses which would add height and colour (if you get coloured ones).

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Absolutely this. Keep my food away from those who "just want to try a bit"!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Perhaps we are just greedy...

Seriously though, it's really annoying when meateaters eat all the veggie food! They can eat everything else, leave mine alone Smiley tongue

I love knitting_vixen's place name and napkin ring ideas. LOVE the place cards which stick onto glasses.

• MrsBear2b
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsBear2b ·
    • Hide content

Yeah we were worried that everyone would nab the vege food. I didn't know if people would feel awkward having to get up every time they wanted food and end up not going up as often as they'd like and starve.

Thanks knitting vixen, I think that you're all right and I should save money on centrepieces that get looked at for half an hour and instead get pretty ribbon or place cards.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This wouldn't be a problem for me!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

This is a completely personal/subjective thing, but are you going to have chair covers? Obviously if you don't want them or can't justify the cost then don't have them, but I think they would make the place a bit more 'weddingy' iyswim?

You could also pop pretty favours on everyone's plates Smiley smile

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

I agree.. have no centrepiece.. people will soon realise why if they are sat wondering and they will be so consumed by all the food being brought out that they will soon forget about it. I like FMJ's idea of having a nice favour on their place setting, so they have something to look at when they sit down.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

How about sculptures carved from fruit? I have seen some fantastic displays in Chinese restaurants.

The guests could also pick from them between course, I love some fruit in between to cleanse the palate!

• MrsBear2b
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsBear2b ·
    • Hide content

Yep we're having favours , but unfortunately they aren't the most eye catching colourful things. Been having a search of the name cards that stick on glasses, everywhere I look is butterflies though...will have to keep searching. I like the circular one that you found Knitting Vixen, do you know where it is from?

And thanks Sherrie, I'll ask about the fruit sculptures hadn't thought about that. Will have to ask our restaurant if they can fit it onto the tables and if they'll even do them for us.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Something like these:

• MrsBear2b
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsBear2b ·
    • Hide content

My uncle used to carve watermelons and fill them with chopped up fruit when we were kids, I might see if he has time to do it for us. Although we do need it for 23 tables or so!

Thanks again Sherrie.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I just googled "glass place card".

The round ones were from confetti: http://shop.confetti.co.uk/detail.php?productid=ST38585&utm_source=AWin&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=feed

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics