Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chickster
Beginner August 2013

Mirena Coil - Having Horrible Side Effects :-( UPDATE

Chickster, 24 of March of 2013 at 16:59 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 18

I had a Mirena coil fitted on Wednesday and I have been having some pretty horrible side effects ever since. On Thursday I started suffering with waves of really crippling stomach cramps. They were so painful I started crying, so my boss took me down the docs to get me checked over. The gynaecologist told me that my womb had gone into contractions because it was trying to expel the coil and that I was experiencing a sort of mini labour! (Wasn't expecting that!). He loaded me up with pain killers and told me to see if it settled down after a few days. I'm still having pretty painful cramps but not as painful as the ones on Thursday.

The other pretty horrible side effect I'm getting is really greasy hair - it is so greasy, my hair looks soaking wet. No matter how much shampoo or soap I use, it just won't get rid of the grease :-( I've looked this up and it is listed as a possible side effect.
This is all rather off putting and even though I've only had it in for 5 days, I'm seriously considering getting it removed asap.
Has anyone else had problems with this coil??
Thanks. A very miserable Chickster :-(

18 replies

Latest activity by Michael, 9 of May of 2023 at 16:09
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Not sure about the coil. But stop washing your hair - the more you dry it out with soap, the greasier it will get. You need to let your body balance the hormonal changes.

It all sounds horrible though. I hope it's temporary.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I'd be speaking to either your GP, and somebody at you local FPC.

I would not want something to remain in my body which my womb was trying to expel! That does not sound good.

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what I was thinking. Chatted to OH about it tonight. Going to call the doc tomorrow to get it taken out asap :-(

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

I had the worst side effects with it. I was sick and fainted before I even left the GP surgery. Mine was taken out instantly and it sounds like your body is having a similar reaction.

my advice, as you've already decided, is to have it removed. I felt better within 30 mins.

• gee_gee
    Beginner August 2013
    gee_gee ·
    • Hide content

I've had my Mirena coil in for nearly 2 years (will be 2 years in May). I had about 5-6 weeks of irregular bleeding but nothing else. I'd definitely be going back to get it checked out. Hope you feel better soon x

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

As others said, I'd def get checked and possibly get it removed. Sounds v painful for you. I hope you get it sorted ASAP!!!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I haven't personally had a coil, but my cousin did, and ended up with PID as a result. Most people are fine, but if the pain continues, please see your GP again and get them to check it. Hers ended up embedded in her womb and caused problems as she was fobbed off for weeks before anyone took her pain seriously. I hope your cramps ease, just keep a note of any problems for should you need them. Fingers crossed it all calms down soon for you

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bl**dy hell, that sounds awful! It must have been very scary x x x

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Honestly I was terrified!

When I turned up they asked me who was gonna take me home. I said I'd walk as I live 15 mins away and they said no chance. Don't think they had the power of premonition but they were spot on!

Hope you get it sorted asap!

xx

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

This sounds horrible Chickster! How are you feeling now?

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

Got back from the docs about an hour ago and had it taken out. It was so unbelievably painful when she pulled it out, I was crying and shaking for about 10 minutes afterwards. The interesting thing is my back pain disappeared within minutes and the stomach cramps have eased off considerably to a dull ache.

This has been such a horrible experience. I know all women are different but I will never, ever, ever recommend to anyone to have a coil fitted.

Thanks everyone for your kind support, I really appreciate it x x x x x x x

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

So glad you have had it taken out and the pain is subsiding. x

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

That is exactly what l think!

Make sure you take it easy Chickster.

• Flumpkin
    Beginner December 2012
    Flumpkin ·
    • Hide content

Please don't all be put off by other peoples bad experience - Chickster I do feel for you and glad that you are feeling better. I have had the Merina coil for about 15 years - that is 15 years of NO periods!! I have a friend who recommended it to me has had one for about the same time and she has not had any problems either. If they work for you they really work for you. It is worth giving it a chance and not be put off.

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was put off by a friend who went for a STD test and in the process, the doctor realised her coil had moved and she'd been at risk of getting pregnant the entire time! This has put me off even more - hope you are feeling much better Chickster! I have the implant and have never had problems, but I know a lot of people that have - its so strange how it can go so wrong for different people, the joys of being a woman!

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Didn't know that could happen!

Been debating to get one or not.

I didn't react well on the pill either. :/

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

Sorry for the delay in replying to some of you (I've been working away) but I've got a Superhint for you!

If you ever get really greasy hair and the shampoo just won't get rid of it, try Fairy Washing Up liquid - worked a flippin treat!

PS. Flumpkin - I'm really glad it's worked out for you Smiley smile All women are different and I'm just one of the ones who doesn't get on with it x x x

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Glad you have got yourself sorted and are feeling better.

I have had a coil fitted for over 12 years (on my 2nd one) and have never had a days trouble. Having said that I have the non-hormonal coil so I still have periods s normal and my hormonal balance is untouched.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics