Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner December 2023 West London

Mismatched wine glasses from charity shops

Kitty, 13 of September of 2023 at 19:15 Posted on Planning 1 12

My wedding is in December and I have to provide glassware for 120 people. It seems like it will be cheaper to just buy 120 glasses from Ikea rather than rent them which seems pretty wasteful.

I like the idea of going to charity shops and buying 120 mismatched glasses, but has anyone had experience of getting good deals doing this? Charity shops seem more expensive than Ikea etc these days, but I want to see if I can get a good deal and then donate them straight back again.

I'm also thinking about getting second hand plates this way too (vintage-y looking) but I think this may be too much of an ask!

12 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 13 of October of 2023 at 22:33
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Wine glasses tend to be not very popular in charity shops - I've seen loads of places that are selling them for 10 or 20p each! You're unlikely to be able to get the whole 120 at once from one shop, but you should be able to gather 120 fairly fast. It might be worth doing a day trip to a cheaper area that has a lot of charity shops - charity shop prices in more affluent areas tend to be higher than those in poorer areas.

Vintage plates will probably be harder unless you're happy to go for the less popular eras and patterns. Anything traditional/pretty like the 1930s stuff tends to be a couple of pounds a plate at least, but if you're happy to go for 70s and 80s stuff, you can probably find them quite cheaply.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I don't think there is enough time to gather 120 suitable glasses for December and the cost will be more than Ikea in the end, along with the many hours and mileage going around all the charity shops and the stress in not finding what you want. Have a look in 1 charity shop and see what you could get. I have a little bit of experience in this as my partner is a keen collector in a certain kind of glassware and on occasion I am recruited to help search in the charity shops and seen a lot of glassSmiley surprise

The donation sentiment is kind but you will not find all 120 in the one shop. As has been mentioned.

Yes you will find miss matched interesting glassware for sure but it will be some wine / beer /pints /- all kinds but if you are looking for just wine then you will struggle in the time frame and then what you will find will not look perticually vintage or miss matched as wine glasses are pretty much the same unless you have loads of time to look. So you may as well get them all from ikea and then you could donate those to the charity shops.

Also remember the hire cost includes delivery / collection and washing and maybe some wastage in breakages too.

I have shot a wedding where they did a similar thing but also they put the date and their names on the glasses which doubled up as favours for people to take home. But it included beer as well as wine glasses.

Mismatched wine glasses from charity shops 1

• K
    Kitty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you very much for your response-

I think that's a good idea to just go and see what is out there first but agree 120 is quite a big ask for one shop 😅 I also didn't realise that about pricing in more affluent areas so that is a great tip!

• K
    Kitty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for your response!

Yes you are totally right about ikea it looks like it will be cheaper to buy our cutlery and glassware from there and donate afterwards - it just seems so unsustainable 😞 you are also right about washing delivery and collection ect- I also don't have the boxes to store them!

Love the picture of the boxes with the wine glasses that looks so good!

• Hide content
    View quoted message

The couple supplied the drinks and you choose your glass that you liked for yourself and you then kept the glass all night then took it home.

Just gone to my archive to pull up some more pictures for you had realised it was 8 years ago Smiley surprise

Mismatched wine glasses from charity shops 2

Mismatched wine glasses from charity shops 3

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you want to try the charity shops then check out the local community ones or ones supporting small charities. I find that the 'big name' charity shops (e.g. Oxfam, British Heart Foundation, Cancr Research etc) tend to be very picky about the stock they take and have prices to match, so you're more likely to find matching sets of glasses at a couple of pounds each. Whereas local community run shops tend to have loads of those Arcoroc glasses (the ones that were given out free with petrol in the 80s!!!) super cheap! Last time I was in the one down the road from me, they had about 70 wineglasses of all kinds for 20p each, and I bet they had more in the back of the store.

• Hide content

Kitty - looks like a trip to Monmouthshire is in order Smiley xd

Its worth a look then in some local charity shops to see how its looking.

• Alex
    Curious July 2024 Kent
    Alex ·
    • Hide content
    Have you looked at renting what you need? Lots of the decoration rental place do glassware and cutlery, as we as catering companies
  • Ian
    Beginner May 2024 Devon
    Ian ·
    • Hide content
    We’re doing the same for our wedding next year - all crockery, mugs and glassware will be bought from charity shops then donated back after.

So far we’ve used 10 different charity shops to get less than half the quantity you are looking for so, if time is against you, maybe a combo of charity shops and ikea?
  • L
    Beginner December 2023 North London
    Leonie ·
    • Hide content
    Facebook marketplace is great for these things x
  • Karen
    Beginner April 2024 Highlands
    Karen ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing a similar thing for my wedding next April

Only looking for 80 glasses and have about 60 already. Mostly through people giving away mixed boxes on FB marketplace and others from Charity shops. The bigger lesser known charity shops on the outskirts of towns are generally a lot cheaper. I have only spent about £25 and am giving the glasses to guests as favours. Some are fancy, some are plain, but I'm getting a large pack of fancy waterproof stickers (£6) so they can be individually customised!

• S
    Beginner August 2023 West Yorkshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Others have given good advice and perhaps this is a long shot, but a while ago I worked for an office that was closing and we had so many glasses to give away (probably 120, many hardly used!) that we put on Freecycle. Perhaps you could try there.... good luck Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics