Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

k.j.w
Beginner June 2017

Missing an interview?

k.j.w, 13 of May of 2016 at 23:03 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 3

At work we were due to interview someone today for an entry level job. Now they had already postponed it due to a family bereavement from last tuesday 3rd to today 13th. She then emailed HR this morning saying she cant make it today either as shes not well and can we rearrange it?!

What would you do?

We were having a discussion about it and whether or not to rearrange for another day. One of the points raised was the fact that many companies sent aside a day or week to interview people & if you cant make that time then tough.

3 replies

Latest activity by LalaC1988, 15 of May of 2016 at 23:25
  • A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

Unless the position needs to be filled urgently, I'd rearrange again but not do it a third time.

Sometimes good people have a hard time, and need some understanding. Sometimes people are just ****wits.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I think it would depend n what she said (if anything) is wrong with her. Personally I would have to be very ill to miss an interview for a job I wanted. If she's not very ill I wouldnt bother rearranging. If she didn't say what's wrong I might ring if we have a phone number asking when she feels she may but be well enough to come in and would take it from there as to whether you wish to carry on interviewing or fill the position from someone you have already seen.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Assuming you have interviewed other suitable candidates I wouldn't re arrange another interview again.

It may have just been bad luck that they had family bereavement and then got ill. But either way you don't know them and it's not a good first impression and could be a sign of things to come with regards to attendance.

I also don't think its fair on the other candidates to give this candidate more time to prepare for interview.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Unless I physically could not leave the bathroom if I truly wanted a job I would attend the interview. I actually think it is a good sign if somebody can sucker it up and get in, I have attended a interview minus much of a voice before. I would rearrange for a family bereavement but illness probably not.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics