Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Puddingpeaches
Beginner August 2024 Kent

Mixed asian wedding conundrums + rant

Puddingpeaches, 18 of September of 2023 at 20:25 Posted on Planning 1 12
So I'm British Indian and FH is Chinese and already booked a caterer. Ive been an over worrier from the beginning and booked and secured things earlier this year and weddings in August 2024. Initially, we thought because my side of the family friends were vegetarian and had more dietary restrictions (i.e can't have pork or beef) so food would be more indian rather than Chinese. FH mum has now said she won't be inviting people or telling anyone on their side about it because "no one would be interested or want indian food" and doesn't seem like a wedding if there's no Chinese banquet. She's also said she's worried that the food won't agree with her and should she pack ramen for herself for the wedding. They also keep mentioning about how if we DO invite people, they'd talk behind our backs etc. I'm just trying to think of ideas or solutions with what to do. I also was hoping we could incorporate tea ceremony as part of the wedding but FH family said we were not "allowed" to do it at the venue and we must do it at their house. Our venue has two "wings" for bride and groom so I thought itnwoulr be a nice twist to do the door games and such at the venue. I've had issues on my side because I'm Catholic and he's not, I was not aiming for a church wedding (plus there was some drama from my local church and i was chasterised for wanting a convalidation after) from the first place but I thought what would be a nice mesh and union of cultures is turning into a whole judgement of how I'm doing everything wrong. None of the family from either side has offered to help and so I've been planning and organising things by myself which has made me feel crazy and isolated. I don't have a lot or any friends either so I don't really have any bridesmaids or maid of honour, this journey has felt quite exhausting and lonely.. Feel like I'm also one of those people who's dreading to go dress shopping as I've got all this anxiety built up and don't feel confident in myself and parents would like me to wear a saree and a traditional white gown..

This has turned into a bit of a rant but I just kind of just needed to kind of vent it out too..

12 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 21 of September of 2023 at 22:12
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Sending hugs to you. Planning a wedding can be stressful enough at the best of times, but when you are joining two families from different cultures it can be a lot harder, as every culture has its own way of doing weddings and often, families can be reluctant to accept that another culture's way of doing it can be just as 'right' as theirs!

The most important thing is that you and your FH are on the same page. You need to work out together what you want your wedding to look like. I think you are very wise to try and incorporate aspects of both your cultural backgrounds into your wedding - after all, the wedding is supposed to be a reflection of who you are, so leaving one culture out of the day completely would be odd!

You also need to work out how much compromise you are prepared to give to both sets of parents. Parents can often be very rigid as to how cultural 'norms' at weddings are done, and it's hard to get a balance between being respectful and ending up with a wedding that is dominated by one family's views! Do you have any unbiased friends or family members from both cultures who can advise you on how much it is possible to 'tweak' cultural traditions to fit in with a blended ceremony without stepping over the line into disrespect? E.g. the tea ceremony - does it truly HAVE to happen in the home to have proper meaning, or is that just FHs parents being rigid over tradition?

Regarding the food, would it be possible to do some kind of buffet with British, Chinese and Indian food? A lot of people who don't eat Indian food normally tend to think Indian = extremely hot curry, which may be why there is a bit of panic over the food being all Indian! So perhaps a combination of reassurance that not all Indian food is mouth-burningly spicy and that there will also be non-Indian food available might work.

As for the comments about wedding guests talking about you behind your backs - to be honest, if they're doing that, then you've invited the wrong guests!

Of course, the other option if the stress really gets too much for you is that you just elope!

I hope you are able to navigate a way through all this - for what it's worth, I think a wedding that contains a fusion of your different cultures would be totally beautiful and very memorable. Please update us with how it's going.

• Puddingpeaches
    Puddingpeaches ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Literally everything you've said I've already thought of! I asked would it be okay to do a fusion or we'll have two menus. Part of the fuss is that we can't afford a 12 course meal and I've asked does it NEED to be 12 courses and have asked what would be the main dishes that makes it feel like a wedding? I also asked would they be flexible about the tea ceremony at the venue but they haven't said what the reason was and have just been very rigid about this. I'm not sure if it's the language barrier either that's making it difficult. I'm quite close with a lot of the guests and have explained that it would be very mild in terms of food because I was immediately worried of people's food intolerances and preferences.

FH has a tendancy to get very quiet and is not very proactive in these discussions and it's making me panic and question so many things about many many things. I feel awful questioning our relationship and have tried explaining I need him to have more input in the decisions.. A lot of friends that I have around have said that they have no idea as they've not been to many weddings or most aren't married, I think we may be the first in the group. Thank you for giving me some more things to think about! I think I might try and get a friend who can talk to his parents or try to explain it to them, he's not as close with his parents or just avoids speaking to them a lot so it makes things a bit frustrating.
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

To be honest, if his parents are being this difficult about the wedding, I'm not surprised he doesn't speak to them a lot!!!

Hang in there - it's not easy managing cultural expectations between the generations. I have a number of friends in cross-cultural marriages and in every single one, it's been the parents' expectations and anxieties that have caused the biggest headaches with wedding planning! The younger generation is usually a lot less traditional in outlook, and it can be hard working out how to balance your own, more relaxed way of looking at things with a desire not to upset the older generation too much! Especially in a culture where there is so much emphasis on respecting ones' elders.

If you can find someone who is closer to your FH's parents' age but also has a bit more of a modern approach, that might be the best way forward. Maybe a younger aunt or uncle or an older cousin? Someone who can tell you and your FH "Yes, I know this is traditional, but as long as you do y and z, you can skip x without being disrespectful" and who can also tell his parents "oh, I know in our day, weddings had to include x, y and z, but times are changing and a lot of young couples aren't bothering with x now." And who can also point out "Of course puddingpeaches wants her culture reflected in the ceremony - it's just as important to her as our culture is to us."

I also think it would help if your FH took on the communication about wedding planning with his own parents. I know it can be tough standing up to strong-minded parents, but by making you the one who is communicating, there is a risk that you will be seen as the terrible daughter-in-law who is making their son abandon his heritage! Also, if there is a bit of a language barrier, then having your FH communicate with his parents will remove that.

Reassure them that you both love and respect his Chinese culture and heritage, but that as your relationship will be a mix of three cultures, Chinese, Indian and British, it is important that all aspects of your cultural heritage are reflected in your marriage. Acknowledging one doesn't have to mean disrespecting or ignoring the others.

• Puddingpeaches
    Puddingpeaches ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! That sounds like a great idea, I think I know a younger relative on his side that could talk to them! They do adore her and listen to her. My parents have been suprisingly open about things but they don't seem to have the concept that we have a budget 🤣 so their suggestions haven't been helpful and they're thinking of things I should add or have but I've had to shut down so many things as I'm paying the majority from my own pockets.
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The younger relative sounds perfect!

Do his parents mix a lot with cultures outside their own? If they're not used to doing that, then a lot of their difficult behaviour may just be rooted in anxiety, so hopefully a bit of patience and communication will sort that out.

As for your parents, it might not be possible to do this, but you could try keeping as much of the wedding as possible a secret 'so that it's a nice surprise on the day'. I guess it depends how much expectation there is that they will be involved with the planning, but I found with my mother, keeping her in the dark as much as possible saved my sanity, and presenting it as me wanting to 'surprise' her meant she didn't get offended! If people don't know what you are planning, they can't muscle in with (more expensive) alterations!

• Puddingpeaches
    Puddingpeaches ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    His parents definitely don't mix with a lot of cultures. They were very insistent that all their kids should marry vietnamese/chinese people. I think they've had to accept me because they've been saying FH is "too old". I think what's made it more upsetting was at the beginning we would all get along because we would be so fascinated in similarities incultures and bond over it, it seems that the wedding is bringing out weird feelings in people! I think you're definitely right about keeping things more to myself as I'm feeling a little less stress now that I've stopped talking about the wedding with family plus no one else is getting confused or wanting to add their input. I think I had this ideal of wanting to share it with people or talk and get some ideas but really it feels too tiring and I was definitely losing sanity too for a minute!
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It sounds as if they are a bit scared of the whole mixing cultures thing now that they realise it's going to be permanent. NB: This does not excuse their behaviour, but it does explain why they are being so difficult - and does give hope that once they've got over the wedding hurdle, they might calm down again and realise it's all ok. Weddings can bring out weird behaviour in an awful lot of people!

Do you have a friend you can talk weddings with? Someone you can trust to be an encourager, not to add to your stress? If so, it might be worth sharing wedding stuff with them instead of with parents and in-laws. And of course, you can always vent here if you need to!

• D
    Curious August 2023 North West London
    Dee ·
    • Hide content
    Hi! I know how hard this can be! just had my an South Asian / Middle Eastern mixed wedding, with lots of English guests too. As much as people say you can’t please everyone, I just didn’t want half my guests to go hungry because they can’t have chilli food!

We did Indian food, and then had a kebab van a couple of hours later for evening food. Both went down a storm. So maybe you could mix it it up by having Chinese evening food?
    Also- there are lots of indo-Chinese caterers out there, luckily your two cultures have a lot of food fusion so that’s another option!
  • Luke and Jemima
    Beginner April 2024 Essex
    Luke and Jemima ·
    • Hide content

Sending big love to you, this sounds really tricky.

Without attempting to diagnose someone I've never met, your future MIL does sound somewhat manipulative! It's downright mean to suggest people will be talking about you behind your backs and to deliberately try to shame you into changing things when you are trying your best to make everyone happy. She must understand that there is more than one culture to be honoured here.

I'd strongly suggest getting your FH to talk to her, he should be sticking up for you in this scenario. And I also think you need to shut out the noise and have the courage of your conviction - this is your wedding and you are doing your utmost to give a nod to each of your heritages. So if you are happy with what's going to happen on your day, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Your MIL sounds difficult to please and would likely have something to say no matter what you did! For your own sanity remember that hers is only an opinion, and let it go. Make a decision with your FH and stick by it. You are entitled to make decisions about your own wedding.

• G
    Beginner May 2025 Hampshire
    Grace ·
    • Hide content
    If it were me I think would do something completely separate from both cultures and create a new tradition as a couple? You can have a nod to both your heritages but do your own thing that neither side of the family can comment on? At the end of the day it’s your wedding and you can’t please everyone. Hope it all goes well though!
  • Estina
    Savvy October 2024 Gloucestershire
    Estina ·
    • Hide content
    We are having this same issue, whereby we need to have caribbean food at our wedding.
    We compromised where we are having british food main course then caribbean food truck in the evening.
    All of this so that both sides feel represented and seen.
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awww, I'm sorry you are still having issues - I remember one of your earlier posts about wedding stresses.

I'm staggered at the number of Brits who can't cope with non-traditional British food. Maybe I'm weird (or plain greedy!) but I'd quite happily gatecrash a wedding that was serving Caribbean or Indian food, even if I didn't know the couple getting married. (So if either you or OP get fed up with your in-laws and decide to uninvite them you know who to invite to fill the gap Smiley laugh )

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics