Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner December 2016

Mixed Race, Curly Hair Stylists - where are they?!

MixedRaceCurlyHairHelp, 23 of February of 2016 at 18:04 Posted on Planning 1 5

Hey everyone. Really hoping you can help!

I'm mixed race with naturally curly hair. I'm finding when I look at portfolios that bridal stylists seem to fall into two camps: white people, and black people. My hair is unfortunately not like the curls white women can have, but also not afro/really tight curls.

I've gone to stylists in the past who have really messed up my hair in the past because they've not known how to treat it (e.g.tried to brush it dry which turns it into a frizzy mess), and as you can imagine I really don't want that on the day!

I've emailed various stylists and the common response seems to be "our stylist has loads of experience with mixed race/black women, but no photo evidence..." which is getting quite tiring, so I thought I'd come on here and see if anyone knows of anyone who they can recommend, please! So far I've only found 2 people, one who's way more expensive than anyone else I've looked at, so it would be nice to have some options. Smiley smile

Thanks so much in advance and hope I can help out with other questions on the forums in return at some point! P.s. getting married in Surrey, so would need someone in Surrey/Hampshire/Sussex/London/Berkshire

x

5 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousGreenHair875, 9 of October of 2017 at 06:37
  • KinkyBride
    Beginner March 2016
    KinkyBride ·
    • Hide content

Not sure how local you are to where you're getting married but could you ask your usual hairstylist to do it for you?

I'm really fussy with who I allow to do my hair (due to some really bad experiences) so although my regular hairdresser isn't a specific wedding stylist, I asked her if she would come to our venue to do my hair for me on the wedding day and she said yes! We're obviously having to pay her for being out of her salon for those hours ontop of the styling cost however she's worth her weight in gold so I'd rather do that than have hair that I'm not happy with on the day.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I would agree can you approach your usual hairdresser to see if you can organise something with her. My curls were a nightmare and I wouldn't trust someone who wasn't used to them.

• Miss-b
    Beginner August 2016
    Miss-b ·
    • Hide content

Without seeing your exact hair type its difficult, but I searched for 'wedding hairstyles for afro hair' on Pinterest which brought up a fair amount of pictures!

I suppose it depends whether you want to keep your natural curls within the hairstyle or if you want a sleeker looking hairstyle. I would say it will be easier with a hairdresser that has worked with, or knows your type of hair and whats best for it!

I've included two pictures from Pinterest to give you an idea of what comes up!

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    Leelee85 ·
    • Hide content

Hey! Fellow mixed race curly haired bride over here and its something i have struggled with too.

I think it depends a lot on how you want your hair.

Happy to recommend my hairdresser who is london based. He did my best friends wedding hair. she is black but with very soft hair and her friend also who has very soft textured hair. I am having my trial soon so if you want to wait I will upload pictures then.

Let me know

• S
    Beginner September 2018
    SunnyYellowCars903 ·
    • Hide content

How did your hair go? I'm in the same boat and just outside of London so would be keen to see

thanks

• L
    Beginner April 2019
    LuxuriousGreenHair875 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, have you had any luck? I'm in exactly the same position and have had no luck finding anyone or any styles that would suit my hair? X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics