Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Roll on July!
Beginner July 2011

MOB and MILTB presents

Roll on July!, 10 of February of 2011 at 22:59 Posted on Planning 0 15

Apart from the traditional bunch of flowers, what are you getting the Mothers? I'd like to get something that will last longer than a bunch of flowers and remind them of the day but apart from jewellery (they have very personal tastes!) finding it difficult to come up with any nice ideas that aren't tacky?

Could you share your present ideas please?

15 replies

Latest activity by FutureMrsRon, 11 of February of 2011 at 14:48
  • sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

As well as flowers I'm going to get them each a compact with their names engraved on (was going to get 'mother of the bride' etc on but was worried it might look a bit tacky) and maybe a little note inside the compact saying thank you, and a nice framed photo of OH and I together.And i will probably make them both a card too.

Jewellery-wise I love getting people necklaces or earrings with their birthstone on but, because I'm so obsessed with giving every woman I know this present, my mum already had one from me for her 50th. And I guess its only a matter of time before I buy MIL2B one of these for some other occasion anyway.

• SarinaCain
    Beginner March 2011
    SarinaCain ·
    • Hide content

My mum wont be at the wedding but for OH's I've scanned lots of pictures of him and her over the years from when he was a new born to now and making a photo book to give her.

Plus she is getting a flower brooch on the day of the wedding...the brooch bit to keep for after wards.

Not sure what to get his dad though

• W
    Beginner March 2011
    whiteroserachel ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the same position, I've spent ages looking for something but without joy. The original plan had been to get two table arrangements for the wedding breakfast and give them to MOB and MIL2B after the meal but they start from £35 each at the florist we're using and that just seems like an awful lot for something that's really only a short-term keepsake. I'd rather spend a bit more on something permanent.

• SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm going to get them each a nice photo frame and put a note in it to say we'll buy their favourite photo from the wedding to put in it.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I keep coming back to these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OUR-SONS-DAUGHTERS-WEDDING-FRAME-GIFT-PARENTS-/400107964231?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Celebrations_Occasions_ET&var=&hash=item9bff259d7d

OHs mom is travelling on the train to see us so flowers don't make sense and Mom is off on holiday while we are on honeymoon (she says she will need to get over the stress - 😄) - so flowers don't really work for us.

• maryg111
    Beginner May 2011
    maryg111 ·
    • Hide content

Oh i'm glad you've started this thread - i'm having the same problem!!

i have got one of these (which i haven't filled in yet - its on my ever increasing to-do list!)

https://ohsocherished.co.uk/product/2267/296/my_beautiful_mum_journal

and one of these

https://ohsocherished.co.uk/product/1195/260/large_our_daughters_wedding_keepsake_box

but i was thinking about getting a nice swarovski or links of london bracelet or something for my mum and MILTB - then i've got to think of something for my dad and step-kids to be as I want them to have something special to keep - but i am a bit stuck on that one!!

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

I'm trying to avoid flowers too - they both love them but they're only going to die! (the flowers I mean lol)

At my SIL2B's wedding last year she really wanted to have David Austin roses for her flowers but couldn't afford them, but as her parents and her husbands parents both love gardening, she bought them both a David Austin rose bush to plant which I thought was really lovely, they'll always have it to remind them of the day and she can have her favourite flowers when they're in bloom.

My mum doesn't have a garden though so I can't do this lol

We're thinking of giving both sets of parents a weekend away somewhere - nowhere exotic, just to the coast or somewhere they love

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

We're getting my Mum & Dad a personalised Monopoly Set with names of places where they have grown up.

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

We are giving the mum's flowers on the day and dad's whisky from Vom Fass as they both love it! As my parents have really helped with the cost and prep of the day, we are buying them plane tickets to come over to the Middle East and stay with us in November. Last year my sister bought them tickets for a Rugby match in Cardiff (both of them are rugby mad!). For the in laws, I don't think we will get anything else. They have not contributed at all and recently his mother told me she wasn't looking forward to my wedding because she hates having her photo taken!!!

Do either of your parents have a hobby? Tickets to a theatre/show could be nice, everyone appreciates that. Or vouchers if there is a shop they love... I know someone who had a mini wedding album made up for her parents and in laws which went down really well too.

• WhiteRose84
    Beginner
    WhiteRose84 ·
    • Hide content

Well after reading some posts - my situation is completely different!

My parents are not coming to our wedding, so H2B's father is walking me down the aisle. H2B parents split up years ago, his step mum is going but his own mum has not yet booked. We'll prob buy a gift out in Lake Garda - but are gifts only appropriate if parents are contributing to wedding? We've had no help from my parents or H2B mother but H2B father and step mum are contributing about 5% of our total spend. Hope I explained that right! Neither my parents, H2B mother, father or step mum have offered any advice either....

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't give a gift if there was nothing to thank them for - neither mine or OH's parents are contributing financially to the wedding - our choice completely - but they've helped us out in other ways and are just generally there to support us whenever we need them so I think our gifts will be a chance for us to say thank you for all that, not just for wedding things.

BTW - love the Monopoly idea, how thoughtful, neither of our parents really play games though so it'd be a bit of a waste if we did that.

• Roll on July!
    Beginner July 2011
    Roll on July! ·
    • Hide content

Some great ideas here. I thought about the rose bushes, but my mum isn't a great gardener and H2Bs mum is in rented accommodation at the moment. I have been thinking of something similar to this for them and getting it engraved with the date and Thank you

http://www.personalisedsilver.co.uk/Product%20Single%20Pages/Keyring17.htm

For my Dad I've bought a bottle of English whisky as he loves whisky but has never had the English one. For FILTB I hadn't planned on getting a present as they really haven't helped out or been involved at all. But saying that we are asking him to write the invites and place cards as he has such lovely writing. Do you think we should get him a present?

Then there's the Step Mothers - although they haven't been involved (my step mum lives abroad but has been very helpful on email, H2Bs step mum hasn't even asked a single question about the wedding) if we're getting everyone else presents, should we get them ones too?!

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If he's written out all the invites and place cards then maybe you could get him a nice boxed pen, nothing too over the top but a token of your appreciation - it's a lot of pressure to write neatly in all the invites lol

I wouldn't get presents for people just because you were getting them for everyone else - if you wanted to get something for your step-mum but not your H2B's if she hasn't been helpful, then maybe you could give yours before the wedding so she gets a thank you but it won't cause any friction

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    shani14 ·
    • Hide content

We have bought them a photo frame engraved with the wedding details at the bottom. We have put a photo of us in there with a note saying it will be replaced by an official photo.

OH wanted to get flowers but again, they die and it isnt something you can keep forever. Plus more stress leading upto the wedding getting some flowers!!

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My mum would love this! What a great idea!

Not that Ive a clue about gardening myself - is it just the rose bush I would need to buy?

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The ones SIL2B handed out were in pretty pots, and the bush seemed quite tall and upright - I suppose if you went to a garden centre they'd be able to point you in the right direction.

If it's David Austin roses you're after, you can order them direct from https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics