Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Panjita
Beginner May 2011

Mobile Phones

Panjita, 7 of October of 2013 at 10:10 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 47

Can you remember what your first mobile phone looked like? I've just been discussing with my friend and found a photo online of my first ever mobile. Hilarious! It looks like an 80's walkie talkie!!! I had this in 1998 on Cellnet (remember them?) before you could get PAYG phones.

47 replies

Latest activity by MummyMoo82, 9 of October of 2013 at 08:01
  • Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

I had this bad boy!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I had one of these, with a rather fetching bright yellow leather case. Thought I was the dogs.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

When I first had mine, this is something like what I actually wanted but it was about £100 and mine was free. Did it have changeable covers? I remember the advert, they were all hung on a washing like in Italy or somewhere!!!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Yes they had covers, I thought I was so cool. I think I had a glittery one. This phone fell into a river and still worked for about 5 years after! They dont make em like they used to!! haha!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Same as Pompey.

Mine was PAYG on BT Cellnet. I was in Primary 7 and thought I was well cool ?

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was 19 when I had my first mobile phone!!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Do Sagem even make mobile phones anymore?

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This was mine! I had the red clip and my mum had the yellow.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I paid something like £19 a month and got 150 minutes and NO TEXTS. I didn't even know what a text message was until I'd had my phone for about 6 months.

• unexpectedpenny
    Beginner January 2013
    unexpectedpenny ·
    • Hide content

I had a Sendo 200, thought it was so amazing! I think I was given it when I was 12, can't remember which network it was with (I think Virgin possibly)

• MrsOh
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsOh ·
    • Hide content

I had this bad boy... It was pay as you go and I remember that you had a certain amount of time to use the credit before you lost it.

x

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I think my inclusive minutes were only to other Cellnet phones or landlines too. And they might possibly have only been for weekends or after 7pm...?

I remember my dad having one like this:

ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

That was my first phone too! I got it for my 16 birthday, was the first of my friends to have one. It didn't text either- took a while to work that out! But then I had no one to text! Was on Cellnet too, paid for by my uncle ( favourite niece!) but I was scared to use it as thought it would cost £100s a phone call and he has the bill!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How old are you MY? I think I was about 12, so either I'm old or my Mum was really tight ?

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

I don't even remember my first phone! I think maybe it was a Sagem, but couldn't be sure! I was about 14 I think. PAYG and Christ they were expensive!! I so wanted the Nokia...snake was the best thing ever. I remember the ones with the changeable faces, I think my dad had one.

oh how far things have come!!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I had this one:

I was quite late in getting a mobile I think, I got this in 2003 when I was 19 and going to university, on O2 PAYG. I then kept it for over 5 years before changing to something new!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I had one that my boyfriend of the time gave me when I was 17 (so 2000 maybe?) but I can't really remember it and I never really used it.

I got this one on contract when I started uni in 2001. Nokia 8210 - possibly still the smallest phone ever? Or close to it if not.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I present the Nokia ringo. It was analogue and you couldn't actually send a text. My number was also 083 something at the start as opposed to 07 for all mobiles now.

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had this bad boy too on BT Cellnet, before 02 existed! I still have the same number from 1998 - the only thing that has changed is the code as it is 07710 now instead of 0410.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I remember being chuffed to bits when I upgraded to this:

Loved the blue screen and had about a million different covers.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I shared a phone with my mum until I was about 15, she took it to work during the week then I had it for evenings and weekends. I remember thinking I was the coolest person ever when we got this phone.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had this too!

I remember being the only kid at school with a mobile and I had to leave it in the office during school time and only allowed to collect it at the end of the day before I had to get my busses home.

There was no text messaging or anything.

I wonder what the reaction would be if 11 year olds were given this rather than an iphone ?.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Remember the days when you used to have to walk down to the phone box because your mum banned you from running up the phone bill?

Also, if you were meeting a friend in town and they couldn't come or were running late, you didn't know, you just waited a while and then got the bus home!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me and my friend were talking about this the other day as there was a kid at thorpe park just sat on his phone the whole time.

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally! My friend always had to use the phone box as her mum was a right cow (brothers and sister were allowed to use the home phone), and we used to arrange a time to call.

my best friend was *always* late! I don't know how many times I stood outside Topshop waiting for her! Now she is just the same, but at least she can let me know and I can go have a coffee whilst I wait!! My niece doesn't understand how we coped before mobile phones!

• L
    loislane77 ·
    • Hide content

I'm new I hope you don't mind me joining in . I had the Motorola flare plus on the network one2one . Do you remember them , I think they were really bt.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

One2One was T Mobile if I recall correctly!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You are right, and it's now EE!

Remember when Orange used to be called Hutchison Rabbit? Also when British Telecom was the ONLY choice for your home phone?

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I learnt the other day that before BT cam along, the only option was to rent your phone line from the post office.

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

When people actually used home phones. The little ones I work with...usually year 4 and under often don't know what a picture of a home phone is:

"What's this?" How do they not know?! Smiley sad

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

I got my first mobile in 1995, it was a Nokia, I was so cool, no friends back home in the UK had one. I cant remember if it text or not, I think it did. Before that I had a pager for 2 years and was given my mobile as my dad was sick of me never returning calls or saying I couldn't find a phone.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics