Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

venart
Beginner June 2013

MOH's dress doesn't fit *sigh*

venart, 18 May, 2013 at 09:23 Posted on Planning 0 16

Wedding is 5 weeks away and I just got an email for my maid of honour back in Canada. She tried on the dress for the first time in a couple months and it won't close over her boobs, and could I give her the link to buy it again as her old one wasn't working... awkward; the colour was discontinued by J Crew after Christmas, which is why I sent an email back in February saying 'omg, just had a brief panic attack. Did you get your dress? that colour has been discontinued!'

*sigh*

So I just replied to tell her it was discontinued and to check ebay or if the dress in't too far from fitting to see if a seamstress could help, but I'm also on the lookout for an alternative solution if she can't find a dress in 'monterey pine' in her size. I wouldn't mind her being in a different colour altogether, but I definitely don't want a dress in a similar colour with slightly different shade and fabric. So, I need to choose a back up colour for her dress, and I need hitched help.

The colours of our wedding are greens, reds, pinks, and florals. This is my sister's dress, in the original colour, which she will still be wearing, and the FG dresses:

This is my dress (ish), and Anthony's tie (my dress will have a sash the same burgundy as the tie):

And the groomsmen all are wearing black tuxedos with dark green bowties and pocket squares:

And then there's lots of floral tea cups for decorations, incorporating a lot of pinks and creams as well, and I've used cath kidston floral wrapping paper on my table plan, will have a pink table cloth for cake table and floral frames for signs, etc. The colour scheme I created is along the lines of:

So now the dilemma of choosing a different colour for one of my two adult bridesmaids. IF I do end up having to put her in a different colour, I will endeavor to also find a bow tie that colour for the best men, so it doesn't look out of place, but here are the options:

White, champagne, or blush. I only include white because the flower girls are white, but I think I'm leaning more towards either the champagne or blush. Thoughts? Here I thought my BM dresses had been the most stress-free thing in the world, as I didn't choose anything about them and my sister was the one who picked the shop, and the colour, and both girls chose their own style in that fabric and colour, so I had nothing to do with it. But now, if there's two colours it ends up a bit more complicated.

Oh well, I'm sure it will be fine no matter what happens, I just value few opinions from on here.

16 replies

Latest activity by louise fisher, 20 May, 2013 at 10:12
  • M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

If it's just a bit too tight over her boobs could she get a lace up back put in with a modesty panel to match the colourscheme?

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I think that falls under the 'see if a seamstress could help,' but I'm really asking for opinion on the colours as a back up plan b really. Thanks.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Yep, plan A is for her to check ebay and find a seamstress, like I said, but being the overly organised person I am, I'm having a back up plan!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Blush, definitely blush, it blends with all your colours and picks out the pretty bits on your dress. Would you have to change the cravats? She is your MoH so it's quite in keeping for her to be different in a blending type of way ? I love your colour palette.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for blush - blends in nicely with the other shades and as alyj66 says picks out the blush of the beading in your dress. I did a wedding in March and the Bride had the same dress - fabulous!

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Blush!!! It's gorgeous!!!

5 weeks to go..... Oh my! Where has the time gone??!! *gulp*

So exciting isn't it?!

My daughter insisted I buy her MOH dress in a smaller size as she wanted to lose weight for the wedding. I reluctantly agreed but here we are with 35 days to go and as yet she has only lost a few pounds. She's a devil for leaving things to the last minute so I told her I had my eye on a couple of back up dresses just in case...

Her response was 'no need- I WILL fit that dress!'

I just hope she is right..... :0o

Good luck with the hunting..... Just think we are only 35 days from being somebody's wife eek!!! :0)

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The original Stewart Parvin dress???? ? That thing costs the fricking EARTH! Or did she go the route of trying to make something similar bespoke, too? It is a gorgeous dress, and it does allow for a lot of leeway on colours.

Thanks or the input so far. I'm considering just sending her another email saying that I like the champagne and the blush colours, so if she doesn't manage to either fix the current dress or find it on ebay, she needs to choose between those two colours ASAP and tell me so I can get new bowties for the best men.

MWAH, I would probably buy a larger size of the dress 'just in case' when it gets to within the 30 day window for returns or exchanges if I could. I wouldn't want to be caught unawares at the very last minute!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is it based on the 'Put Yourself in My Place'? because that is ? oh my goodness gorgeous. Please can we stop throwing different designer names into threads, I have to keep looking at them and one of these days I'm going to find something better than mine!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

My apologies! Thought it was the same but having had another look, it's different. It's got the similar colours with the swirly bits on but has lines of sequins swooshing up the front sort of art deco style. Sorry!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I think the blush would contrast beautifully, especially with all your crockery and flowers.

P.s I am REALLY looking forward to seeing your wedding *creepy stalker alert!* Smiley smile

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes. And oh my god, it is definitely oh my goodness gorgeous. I should never have been allowed to look at photos on hitched of wedding dresses before knowing anything about designers or styles, because I saw it and I fell in love with it, and then I contacted the designer and found out that as it was the show finale dress, it was a part of the couture collection and would cost between 8 and 10 grand to make. HAHAHAHA. ?

I've got a dressmaker appt Monday and the tulle should be on the skirt now, and the pattern for the lace bodice should be made up to try on, and then she's going to be cutting and sewing into my gorgeous lace (eek).

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm really looking forward to yours, too Smiley smile BTW, it seems I've got an extra pair of those gorgeous green shoes now, too. You don't happen to need another pair - size 6?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can't wait to see your dress, I saw the pretty lace that you'd chosen and I think that it's going to be knock out! Good choice Venart.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Although I love the blush dress, I think alongside the green of the other BM's, the champagne would go better IMO.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I should've updated here - she's pregnant! I thought as much when she said it was tight on the boobs.

Anyways, she's been in touch with a seamstress and we're still on plan A. Plan B will be for her to choose whichever one she likes best!

• louise fisher
    Beginner July 2014
    louise fisher ·
    • Hide content

Blush!!!As other colors are lighter,quite approximating to the color of your bridal gown...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics