Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

tinkerbelly1983
Beginner October 2011

Mole removal

tinkerbelly1983, 12 February, 2011 at 15:57 Posted on Planning 0 9

Had a consultation with a cosmetic surgeon today about having some moles removed from my face, I've been so conscious of them forever, even more so now that I'm getting married. He has quoted me a good price to have them done, he says he will remove all of them if I want. Some I've had all my life, others have developed over the last 10 years or so. I don't know whether to zap the lot or if I'll be losing some of my features if they all go...

Anyone else having or had this done?

9 replies

Latest activity by MrsB_2_be, 27 February, 2011 at 11:59
  • judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

My Mum had a large 'beauty spot' removed a few years ago - and her grandchildren didn't recognise her for a week!

Just remember the moles are part of you, and you may find you feel a bit odd without them.

• miss.understood
    Beginner February 2011
    miss.understood ·
    • Hide content

I had a mole removed from just under my chin a few years back. They just cut it out and then burnt it to close it up. Didn't hurt as they kindly numbed it Smiley smile

I'm pleased i had mine removed, as they sent it away for analysis and it was precancerous. It was a tiny little thing too.

It was just done at my doctors surgery. xx

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Very brave of you to at least get a consultation. I am sure they told you that 99% of the time you will end up with a scar of some sort where each mole was removed? People can get upset as they expect the skin to be perfect after removal, which it wont be. It can take months for the scar to settle, so make sure you leave several months before the wedding. At least foundation can hide most small scars though.

Depending on the depth, they can be lasered off or cut out. The later usually require stitches.

Your image will look very different afterwards & will take time for yourself to get used to the new you.

Depending how many you have, maybe remove say half, or a few, and see how you like the result. You could always leave one beauty spot, but if it were me, I'd get rid of all others.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I usually wait with a spade for the blighters to appear

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content

I have never had this done but it has crossed my mind. I have a monumental mole on my lower back which can catch on my trousers - ouch! I did ask my GP about removal, although he said it couldn't be done as there isn't enough spare skin there!!! completely bamboozled me that one! I can only imagine he was talking about the scar after removal?! that or unnecessarry costs to NHS. My brother had a simmilar mole - seems to be a family trait, although he was able to get his removed. Anyway, what I am trying to say is if you do decide to go ahead I would appreciate any feedback you could offer as I sometimes wonder that if went down the private route would I get a different answer from a consultant.

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had some moles removed on the NHS when I was younger but I don't think they do it much anymore unless you have one that has grown rapidly.You're best off going private, most clinics will give you a free consulation with no strings so its worth going and asking. I'm having mine removed with radiowave rather than laser or having it cut off, he assured me that it doesn't hurt and you are left with a small scar (which can be covered with makeup) no stitches and that its only 3-4 days til its healed. I'm going in 2 weeks so I will definitely report with flashes!

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

Had my mole removal done today! I wish I'd not looked at it cuz I went into shock and freaked out a bit! so my face is now covered in plasters, I look horrific but when its healed I'm sure I will look beautiful! Will flash for those that were considering it when its healed.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Just as an aside - whether you can have moles removed has nothing to do with the cost to the NHS.... To be honest if it's just for "vanity" then to a Dr the risks of removal might outweigh the benefits. But to a private dr the benefits include money for them! Haha

Mole removal is considered a minor operation, even if just "burning" it off, and there are strict guidelines as to whether GPs can do this (unlike the old days when they could do what they liked) eg correct equipment and environments. Some GP surgeries do their own minor ops and some will refer on.

As for removal of moles on backs, the skin is under a lot of tension and movement so might easily burst if a mole was removed, leaving you with a nasty scar. Usually we (as I do suturing for my job) consider the effects of scarring as a bigger priority for women than men!! Haha

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

I had one on my shoulder removed as it was raised and got caught in my clothes! I had it done by my doctor which took a few minutes and didn't hurt at all. I do have a very small scar there but it's hardly noticeable and I didn't know until OH pointed it out one night!

• MrsB_2_be
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsB_2_be ·
    • Hide content

I had one removed from under my arm at the doctors. It didn't hurt and I'm a massive wimp so I'm sure you'll be fine. The skin still looks pink where I had it done and that was a couple of months ago so I wouldn't get them done too near the wedding if they're on your face x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics