Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2014

***MOMB's no particular theme barn festival folky wedding report***

MOMB, 1 of September of 2014 at 19:01 Posted on Planning 0 23

How we met, all those years ago, is irrelevant, suffice to say we were both with other partners whom we married and became good friends. R’s ex was a bridesmaid when I married in 1991. I was a witness when they married in 1994. We are Godparents to each other’s children. We have been best friends for over 25 years, and honestly never looked upon each other as anything other than friends, until in 2011, when R broke up with his ex. I’d been on my own for several years and we often visited them. He was devastated and it became a daily ritual to give him a ring to see how he was doing. After a few weeks this became a more and more important part of my day until I realised that I felt more for him than before. Then one of his work colleagues started making a move and I had to say something. It was a very strange way to start a relationship, both of us knowing that we had a lot more to lose than a casual friendship if it went wrong.

Planning

Because of the depth of our relationship it was tacitly understood that once we begun it would have to be forever. We became officially engaged in February 2013 and started planning straight away. We knew that neither of us wanted a formal affair, and wanted something very personal to us. We entertain a lot and wanted to have a party to reflect all the things and people we love best. Our lives are very family and friends orientated so hosting everyone became the mantra.

Our wedding grew out of two things: we needed an approved venue as R is not at all religious and didn’t want to marry in a registry office, and also R’s first comment on wedding planning was that we should book the same circus skills workshop that I’d used for my 40th several years ago. So, we were looking for an informal approved venue which could accommodate a circus skills workshop. A hotel really wasn’t going to cut it so we started looking for more unusual venues. The googling commenced!

We considered marquees and katas, but for the sort of thing we wanted the logistics to cover all contingencies and to accommodate the older family as well as the younger generations were getting too complicated threatening to spoil the fun of it, plus we have lots of other things to spend our money on (for this read that I’m a bit of a scrooge) and as the guest list was looking manageable we decided on barn type venue rather than going the entirely DIY route.

There are several of these venues within a commutable distance from us. Some looked stunning but the photos on different photographers’ websites seemed to imply a quite generic service/feel to the day, and some of the reviews implied that the venues had been very insistent on what ‘would work’ and we both knew that what we wanted was complete flexibility. We kept coming back to one venue: The Hunsbury Hill Centre, at Northampton, which is run by Northamptonshire ACRE, the rural affairs charity, and is based in a Grade 2 listed ironstone octagonal farm. As I am pathologically incapable of choosing only one thing we booked to view Hunsbury and two other venues on the same day. We visited on a dull rainy day in March while they had building work going on, booked on the spot and cancelled the other viewings. Basically we could do what we wanted, in whatever order we wanted, using whichever suppliers we wanted, and they had our date available. Serendipity!

We booked the registrar and started to think about the other big things: catering and photography.

Big stuff booked, we moved on to the minutiae. I was losing weight really quickly over this period but there was no way I could justify spending loads on a dress for one day and it was so relatively unimportant to me. I came up with the plan to make my own dress. True to my ‘if we can do it well enough ourselves there’s no need to spend’ ethos we decided to grow our own flowers too. 2013 was the experiment year so we bought some seeds and sowed them in April. We chose gyp, daisies and polkadot cornflowers, and planted a couple of ivy plants in a pot. The colours of the flowers set the colours for the girl’s dresses. We had decided to have my 2 daughters to give me away, and R’s girls as bridesmaids: with girls between 9 and 16 with very different styles, sizes and bodyshapes as well as stages of development, we knew that no one dress was going to work. I started buying up second hand dresses on ebay in chiffon in all the colours of the cornflowers and all sizes and styles. This spring we had a fun fashion show and they each picked their favourite. They were dressed in a mix of Dessy, monsoon and unbranded dresses, but most importantly each one was happy, comfortable and looked stunning (my biased opinion as a Mum but….).

R’s an artisan and very handy, so we decided to have some wood in the scheme. They were cutting down trees near my work and I brought home some tree slices. In spite of R’s best efforts they all split: the wood needed to season before cutting the slices. We were lucky enough to visit one of the local country parks when they were cutting back some willow trees. They let us have some lengths of trunk for a donation, so they lived in the garage for a year to dry out slowly. This year we cut them with a chainsaw and R planed and polished them. We used the big ones for cake stands and the smaller ones for table centre/stands to play jenga on. We decided on table games, cards, dominoes and jengas instead of table centrepieces.

Because we didn’t want a formal sit-down meal, but for families to be able to move freely about the venue, we invested in some lawn games: in fact these were our first purchase after booking the venue! We decided on bunting to decorate the indoor and outside space, but rather than make this, and as we needed so much, we stepped away from the beautiful print wedding bunting and went for standard multi-coloured bunting: we used over 300m in total. To support the bunting outside I bought extending poles like those used to mark one’s tent at a festival: it was an obvious decision to get windsocks for the tops of these, and just like that the wedding started to look more like a mini fete!

We chose our wedding date because every August bank holiday weekend we go to Towersey festival as a family. It made sense to make this our honeymoon too. In 2013, as always, we saw some new acts which blew us away. I was thinking of a wedding present for R and looked on one of these act’s website for local gig tickets. The gig list mentioned that he was playing a private function. In a light bulb moment, without mentioning it to R or discussing it (a wedding no no really) I contacted him and asked if he was free on our date: what better gift for your groom than a surprise set from a musician he really admires? Holding out no hope and frankly shocked at my own cheekiness, I was stunned when he replied some days later saying that in principle yes, he would love to do it, but that he had recently joined a new group (the folk scene is quite incestuous) and wasn’t sure about the plans for the festival season yet, but would let us know asap. At this point the surprise element went out of it as R was sitting beside me when I opened the email and squealed. We were thrilled that he would even consider such a request and waited as he went off on a tour of Europe, then Canada and India. Realistically getting a top act in mid-festival season was unlikely and I began to lose faith; but he had been very kind and so obliging. One night, after a glass of wine, I facebooked another of our favourite folk acts ( a singer) who was listed to play at a festival about an hour from us on our wedding day, asking that, if her gig was in the evening, would she consider coming to us in the afternoon? Her reply? ‘I love mad things! Let me rejig my schedule and I’ll get back to you!’ Within 48 hours the first musician came back and said definitely yes, and suddenly we had two of our favourite musicians to play at our wedding. You’ll see that I don’t name them: they don’t usually do weddings so it seems a bit off to advertise this: just know that we were chuffed to bits! We’d already booked a ceilidh band that we’d seen at Towersey a couple of years ago, so just like that our informal turned into a bit of a fete wedding turned into a mini festival.

I will plug the Ceilidh band: they are called Asha and were absolutely fantastic: loads of people dancing and they carried on playing in the breaks for the love of it. They are based out of Milton Keynes but will travel and I am happy to pass on details if anyone is interested. I will say this: it’s always worth asking. I know you non-folkies will be thinking that folk musicians have less to do/be more amenable, but all real musicians are looking for gigs! We had a singer at our wedding who was shortlisted (final 4) for the Radio 2 folk singer of the year award this year, which was televised. Seriously, just go for it!

So, between music and circus skills we were covered for spoon fed entertainment. We had lawn games for good weather. At this point I started paying far too much attention to hitched and other wedding blogs and the DIY element spiralled. Both R and I had been married in the days when you received an album from your photographer several weeks/months later which had a blank page at the beginning for names to be added which never got filled in. We were planning an event for our guests and we wanted their thoughts, so the combined photo album/guest book was born

We had a wish tree, a bunting line with tiny pegs so people could make comments inside, and a colouring poster with speech bubbles for wishes. The wedding web site implored everyone to engage with this and the plan is to scan everything including guest photos and make some books up to cover the whole day so we can’t possibly forget. Worried that children (and hence parents) may be bored in bad weather I made up some activity books, and had a dry weather and wet weather plan for the day to use more of the indoor space if required. We bought some cardboard frames which hung from string with tiny pegs and filled each one with a quote on love or marriage: we had over 120 by the day itself, and they were strung around the barn, bar and marquee.

At some point I decided to learn to crochet to make shrugs for the girls for the evening. This never happened as although I am crafty I didn’t get started soon enough and bought very thin thread which made everything harder. We compromised and as I had loads of thread my Best Woman stepped in and took this off me to make shoe clips to match the dresses so the girls could all wear the shoes they felt most comfortable in. The DIY elements which did come off included the wish trees made from wire, tape and skeleton leaves, a curtain of 1000 paper cranes, the invitations (we downloaded from wedding chicks and used the logo for everything, printing via vistaprint where necessary and ourselves for some elements), blackboard signs, wedding dress, flowers, a ‘selfie corner’ where rather than a photo booth we provided some baskets of masks/hats/moustaches/glasses on sticks and asked everyone for forward their selfies to us (v successful). The cake was a huge success, and exactly as I’d planned. My hen do was an afternoon making sugar flowers: this went slightly wrong as my ‘tea and cake and flowers’ afternoon turned into ‘wine and flowers which became increasingly mis-shapen’ afternoon and we never got out all the coloured paste. We ended up with hundreds of white flowers, so I, my girls, and latterly R spent hours painting them all. My BW made the main cakes, a friend made the cupcakes as a gift and the decoration was a joint effort by all of us. I had bought myself some Irregular choice Daisy Dayz shoes, but after wearing them for one 10 minute dress fitting I decided they weren’t comfortable for me and started looking elsewhere. I ended up going shopping on the Saturday before the wedding (my idea of hell) and bought a pair of really comfortable blue suede shoes with a slightly higher heel which I then overlaid with ivory Jaipur lace.

Our girls did all the chalkboard signs and we pulled lots of bits together as a family. Even my headdress was made by my youngest daughter out of loom bands!

23 replies

Latest activity by pammy67, 9 of October of 2014 at 07:52
  • M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

The day before: I had prepared all the flowers (conditioned) the day before so on the night before the wedding I made bouquets and buttonholes wrapped and tied with brown string. The daisies were mostly finished so there was one in my corsage and one in my BW’s but otherwise I stuck with gyp and cornflowers in very casual posies, wrapped with brown string to tie in with all the hanging decorations. I chose a wrist corsage rather than a bouquet for two reasons: I was walking down the aisle with two girls and wouldn’t have a free hand, and also I had received a mozzie bite on my right arm on the Wednesday night, which, being allergic, was massive. Doctor obliged with huge doses of steroids and antihistamines/anti-inflammatories so I could bend my arm on the day, but I was concerned about how bad it would look. My BW came over and ragged the girl’s hair and painted all our nails. Then off to bed!

On the day: OH set off very early with his Best Man and a friend to set up the venue (about half an hour away) with a car load of stuff, having taken as much again over the day before. The plan was that they would be back in time for said friend to be bus monitor for the bulk of our guests. We had decided to provide transport from our home town and all hotels local to the venue; as we were providing an open bar this seemed a considerate plan! Of course they didn’t get back in time (bus company felt the need to allow 1 and 3/4 hours for the 45 minute journey) but the three men had plenty of time to shower, change and be back at the venue in time for the registrar. Friend’s wife did a sterling job on her own and no-one missed the bus in either direction!

We girls had a relaxed morning, I made the kids a decent breakfast, they got into their dresses and we sorted their hair. Somewhere along the line my hairdresser had suggested that I wear my very fine normally very short hair a little longer as she was confident we could maintain volume all day: in fact as it was very windy I looked oddly bald in some shots but as I didn’t look at myself in a mirror all day I was blissfully unaware!

I was in my dress and raring to go by 12.10, having booked the taxi for 12.30. I wore makeup for the first time in 20 years, having had a couple of make up trials and taking advice on here.

The taxi was late: the only real stress on the day, and didn’t know where we were going. Further he had a massive holdall in the front of the car which kept pinging open and flapping onto my corsage: which explains why the daisy went missing before the photos! Both BW and I were getting a little tense by this point so we encouraged him to leave asap and we would direct him rather than any more of him fiddling with the sat-nav. Bless him, he did pick up the pace and we arrived right on schedule at the venue for me to go straight in and see the registrars.

Suddenly the venue coordinator was rushing us down the steps and into the back of the barn. The tog was snapping away, and nerves began to kick in. Then he was back…a slight technical hitch, a delay, awaiting a guest…..he seemed very stressed! The tog whispered ‘rings’ and we all started laughing…we’d noticed the absence of the BM’s car from the carpark when we’d arrived, so that explained it.

And then we were off. The coordinator put on the music and started rushing the girls out of the door and down the steps. I stopped them and they went out a verse apart through the song. And then it was our turn.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Worrying about us all I hadn't thought of how Rob was feeling at that moment. Note absence of jacket/buttonhole (in BM's car en route!)! I should say that I didn't actually notice this at the time.

pic Rob waiting

All in all we had a really really happy fun day with all our friends and family....and are already under some pressure to repeat the day, provided we live happily ever after, of course!

pic of us here

Postscript added 5th September:

Thanks for all the lovely comments. Our wedding was very reflective of us and the things we like, but it was only today that I realised that most of our guests had never been to a wedding without the ceremony/drinks/meal/speeches/evening timeframe to base the day on. By moving away from this and going for a flexible plan it did mean that there was lots to organise so that everyone had something to be doing all day apart form hitting the bar, and that all the children would have something to do.

Rob and I are agreed that for us the day was everything we wanted and totally worth it ( in spite of the house still being full of wedding stuff) but I did learn some lessons for if we were going to do it again. Herewith my wedding tips:

It is not possible to do your own wedding dress fitting, especially if you are trying to keep it a secret from your fiance. You do need to enrol a friend to help, no matter how confident a sewist you are.

Professionally grown flowers are generally straight and have been bred to be as thick stemmed as possible for the variety. Home grown blooms are not. DIY flowers work OK for informal/rustic arrangements but I can't imagine pulling off formal structured bouquets with the curly gypsophilia we grew!

Start early: whatever you are planning to do yourself is more fun before the week of the wedding!

Do it together: Rob shook his head in bemused irritation every time I folded those cranes: but after he'd helped to thread them he loved them even more than me! He loved the wood slices, i loved the wish trees: by doing it together we've doubled our happy memories.

Involve your Kids, if you have them. It's a big deal for them too.

Spend on what is important to you. Be as cheap as you like with the rest. My dress and the bridesmaids dresses were really inexpensive: but we were able to bus in all our guests and treat them all day.

Make your guests as comfortable as possible: they will remember you for it.

Make sure that someone is 'granny sitting' before the icecream man rings his bell....my poor Mum was almost crushed in the sprint....and that was the grown ups, not the kids!

Most important: at least in my case: remember to take your lace coat off! I was so busy chatting and dancing, playing and generally charging about I never even noticed that I hadn't taken my coat off and don't have a single picture of me in my dress!

• Mispinkprincess
    Beginner September 2014
    Mispinkprincess ·
    • Hide content

Noooo don't stop sounds amazing!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

This is one of my fave reports so far, and you haven't even reached getting married yet! Can't wait for the rest!

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

More more!!!

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

I need pictures!!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Is that enough ;D

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Aww. You are so adorable! I love it, massive congratulations! Your second reading is beautiful, if i'd seen this before I had said no readings on my form I would have been begging people to read it, its so beautiful

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely loved your report, congratulations to you both. I love the carefreeness in your photos, just wonderful.

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations, fabulous report and it looks like you all had an amazing day, so fun and relaxed! Love all the DIY touches too

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Looks lovely and loads of fun! Congratulations!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report! you looked like you had so much fun! Congratulations!

• Mispinkprincess
    Beginner September 2014
    Mispinkprincess ·
    • Hide content

Looked amazing congratulations

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

Looks like a wonderful day, congrats!! xx

• BAMS
    Beginner November 2014
    BAMS ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations, looks like everyone had a fantastic day!!

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

Great report, looks like a fantastic day! Congratulations Smiley smile

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! Lovely to see the barn decorated in a different style to what I have seen before!

(Can't wait to have our reception there next year!)

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

Love it! All looks wonderful! xx

• Red Kite
    Beginner
    Red Kite ·
    • Hide content

It all looks like so much fun! Congratulations.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I am quite pleased with him ?

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the lovely comments. Our wedding was very reflective of us and the things we like, but it was only today that I realised that most of our gueats had never been to a wedding without the ceremony/drinks/meal/speeches/evening timeframe to base the day on. By moving away from this and going for a flexible plan it did mean that there was lots to organise so that everyone had something to be doing all day apart form hitting the bar, and that all the children would have something to do.

Rob and I are agreed that for us the day was everything we wanted and totally worth it ( in spite of the house still being full of wedding stuff) but I did learn some lessons for if we were going to do it again. Herewith my wedding tips:

It is not possible to do your own wedding dress fitting, especially if you are trying to keep it a secret from your fiance. You do need to enrol a friend to help, no matter how confident a sewist you are.

Professionally grown flowers are generally staight and have been bred to be as thick stemmed as possible for the variety. Home grown blooms are not. DIY flowers work OK for informal/rustic arrangements but I can't imagine pulling off formal structured bouquets with the curly gypsophilia we grew!

Start early: whatever you are planning to do yourself is more fun before the week of the wedding!

Do it together: Rob shook his head in bemused irritation every time I folded those cranes: but after he'd helped to thread them he loved them even more than me! He loved the wood slices, i loved the wish trees: by doing it together we've doubled our happy memories.

Involve your Kids, if you have them. It's a big deal for them too.

Spend on what is important to you. Be as cheap as you like with the rest. My dress and the bridesmaids dresses were really inexpensive: but we were able to bus in all our guests and treat them all day.

Make your guests as comfortable as possible: they will remember you for it.

Make sure that someone is 'granny sitting' before the icecream man rings his bell....my poor Mum was almost crushed in the sprint....and that was the grown ups, not the kids!

Most important: at least in my case: remember to take your lace coat off! I was so busy chatting and dancing, playing and generally charging about I never even noticed that I hadn't taken my coat off and don't have a single picture of me in my dress!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Aaw how lovely is your report and pics. I missed this as was on holiday at the time so really really pleased to have found it now. You look to have had the most amazingly genuine of days. Massive congratulations. xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics